Starving Aboriginals Subject to Canadian Experiments?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Back on the topic. . . I still don't see how this warrants any kind of "immediate investigation" or "immediate response" from the government. Any American or Canadian who isn't already well aware that their countries did and do treat Indians as less than human and subject them to a broad range of official and unofficial discrimination is either terminally clueless or in such deep denial that this revelation will do nothing to change their minds.

It requires immediate investigation because there are a whole bunch of lawyers on contingencies waiting to sue the current government for actions that took place while most of them were in diapers or not even born.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It requires immediate investigation because there are a whole bunch of lawyers on contingencies waiting to sue the current government for actions that took place while most of them were in diapers or not even born.
And your hatred of lawyers blinds you to the fact that discrimination and bigotry toward aboriginal peoples is institutionalized in Canadian politics and policies. What happened 50 years ago may have stopped, but the marginalization and discrimination has not, it has just taken a different form.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's an excellent point. Being a lawyer myself, I'm not gonna argue against a payday for my profession.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Was it starving, or different treatment of control group/experimentees?
Aboriginal kids were used as guinea pigs in many medical experiments. It didn't matter that they died or were permanently damaged. They weren't quite human after all. According to the aboriginal people, over 50 thousand kids disappeared in the residential schools. Their graves unmarked. Medical experimental failures?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Was it starving, or different treatment of control group/experimentees?

Though it wasn't politically correct, I believe journalist sensationalism is just as wrong

When the source is the Toronto Star, we're all supposed to go:

OHHHHHHHHH, WELL, IT'S THE STAR AFTERALL.:roll: ( as in the past)

crumby little lefty paper eh.

no basis in facts

just commies

ignore

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Aboriginal kids were used as guinea pigs in many medical experiments. It didn't matter that they died or were permanently damaged. They weren't quite human after all. According to the aboriginal people, over 50 thousand kids disappeared in the residential schools. Their graves unmarked. Medical experimental failures?
I doubt if we'll ever really know with all the white-washing denials, residual hate - and the fact Nazis kept better records

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When the source is the Toronto Star, we're all supposed to go:

OHHHHHHHHH, WELL, IT'S THE STAR AFTERALL.:roll: ( as in the past)

crumby little lefty paper eh.

no basis in facts

just commies

ignore
Oh, right. Sorry.

All together now!

Ohhhhh, WELL, it's the STAR after ALL!

Nice rhythm. Good chant.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

When people started taking the Alberta and BC governments to court in the '90's, over forced sterilization, hospitals and churches alike started destroying records of who'd been in their care, and who'd been operated on. That's not something that happens if the people in power had no say, no control, or no interest.

I doubt if we'll ever really know with all the white-washing denials, residual hate - and the fact Nazis kept better records

I've actually seen accusations that Nazi scientists were involved in some of the research that was done to First Nations people. 'Project Paperclip' saw the CIA bringing a bunch over after the war according to accusations, and some claim they were some of the doctors who were responsible to purposeful TB infections and upward of 40% death rates for children in residential schools.

Of course, that's all hearsay and speculation.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I've actually seen accusations that Nazi scientists were involved in some of the research that was done to First Nations people. 'Project Paperclip' saw the CIA bringing a bunch over after the war according to accusations, and some claim they were some of the doctors who were responsible to purposeful TB infections and upward of 40% death rates for children in residential schools.

Of course, that's all hearsay and speculation.
And don't forget "Indian tribes made war on each other, so they deserved it."

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And your hatred of lawyers blinds you to the fact that discrimination and bigotry toward aboriginal peoples is institutionalized in Canadian politics and policies. What happened 50 years ago may have stopped, but the marginalization and discrimination has not, it has just taken a different form.

You'd be shocked at what the B&B Commission Report says about indigenous peoples. That was in the 1960s'. It actively supports the assimilation of indigenous peoples. And then we praise that Commission for its work as a model of progressivism.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, y'know, them thar Injuns done made war on each other long 'fore the white man ever done showed up. So they deserve whatever happens to 'em, yup.