no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Here we go again!

CJAD News

OQLF cuts spoons
6/21/2013

The language police have forced the American frozen yogurt chain Menchie’s to stop distributing its disposable spoons at two Quebec locations.

The Dollard franchise from the Blue Haven mall, claimed on its Facebook page Thursday that Quebec’s language police, the OQLF, has banned the spoons because the words “Sweet Moosic” are molded into them – leaving the stores with no choice but to find a new supplier.

The spoons are provided by the Menchie’s head office in California.

“We are working as fast as we can to get new spoons made just for our Quebec stores, at a large expense to us,” said the Facebook posting.

The post, as of Friday morning, had been shared nearly 100 times with many comments from fans calling the move unnecessary and ridiculous.

CJAD 800 News. Talk. Radio. :: OQLF cuts spoons - CJAD Local News :: CJAD Local News

I believe the store should keep it's spoons. If and when the OQLF takes Menchie's to court, they can argue that the advertisement "sweet moosic" is unrelated to the business, thus should be exempt. Come to think of it, moosic isn't even an English word, so the spoons are legit. Easy court case for Menchie's.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
while I understand the frustration, buy some freaking plastic spoons at Costco. Put up a sign (in French), explaining why the effected chains have cheap spoons. Leave the rest to the tax payer.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
I guess that you are absolutely not interested to know that all this is a big bundle of lies. The Quebecers become the people to which it is allowed to say anything racist without sensureship in the English media.

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
all this is a big bundle of lies
Please tell what really happened.
I hate plastic garbage, by the way; am always pleased when a government prohibits some bag, vessel or beer-net that will gunge up ditches and marshes, lakes and trees, for centuries. Happy to see hefty fines on litterers, as well.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
1- The OLF has received a complaint about this restaurant
2- Each time that OLF opened a complaint file, a staff member go on site to see the situation.
3- Thereafter, the OLF analyzes the file and if it finds a violation of law, he asked the company to take corrective action.
4- In the case of restaurants Menchie's, the analysis of the inspection report has not yet been achieved. Therefore, no correction request was sent to the company.
5- Nobody asked to the restaurant to stop using their spoon.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
1- The OLF has received a complaint about this restaurant
2- Each time that OLF opened a complaint file, a staff member go on site to see the situation.
3- Thereafter, the OLF analyzes the file and if it finds a violation of law, he asked the company to take corrective action.
4- In the case of restaurants Menchie's, the analysis of the inspection report has not yet been achieved. Therefore, no correction request was sent to the company.
5- Nobody asked to the restaurant to stop using their spoon.

A far simpler and cheaper solution would be to get rid of the thought police. English is the official language in Canada so should be used anywhere in Canada.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
French is the unic official language in Quebec.
But I agree, we should get rid of the bill 101 and the OLF and, in the same time, get rid of all english services in Québec..... University, Cegep, elementary school and High school, Hospital, bilingual service in municipality etc etc... It should be faire and this way, a lot cheaper.

Yep you have a good point.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
French is the unic official language in Quebec.
But I agree, we should get rid of the bill 101 and the OLF and, in the same time, get rid of all english services in Québec..... University, Cegep, elementary school and High school, Hospital, bilingual service in municipality etc etc... It should be faire and this way, a lot cheaper.

Yep you have a good point.

While you are at it you can quit sponging off of Canada.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
While you are at it you can quit sponging off of Canada.

Again, i agree

We will get back our 60 billions dollars that we send to ottawa each year and quit canada.... That should be the best solution for everyone.

Next time, just make sure that your federal governemt makes no electoral fraud and it's gonna be good.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Again, i agree

We will get back our 60 billions dollars that we send to ottawa each year and quit canada.... That should be the best solution for everyone.

Next time, just make sure that your federal governemt makes no electoral fraud and it's gonna be good.

Electorial fraud is what has been giving quebec our money for the past 150 years.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Again, i agree

You do realize that while you can 'get back' the $60 billion, the Feds won't be transferring the extra $10 billion it takes to run the province, right?

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
You do realize that while you can 'get back' the $60 billion, the Feds won't be transferring the extra $10 billion it takes to run the province, right?

It is 8 bilions of equalization...

60 billions-8 billions = 52 billions

Big deal....

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
... Apparently it is a 'big deal' to the province.

But, I would be more than happy to do away with it, in fact, considering that the Equalization arrangement expires in the next year or so - you may just get your wish

Nice to be on the same page with a fellow canadian.

Anyways all this is fare from the real topic.

You can set your mind at rest: nobody will have to trash his plastic spoon because of the bill 101 and everybody in Quebec will continue to get english services everywhere in Quebec.

I am sure that you are more than happy with it... right?

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
So, um, the subject of the thread is not the unfair treatment of a US franchise.
And it's not about stupid plastic spoons.
It's just an excuse for rants against Quebec.
Sigh!