So You Want to be King/Queen...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Welsh? Well, you certainly have better claim than the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha clan. Britain hasn't had a British monarch since James II.

Talk about "immigrants coming here and stealing our jobs!"
The next will actually have British blood. Diana had Tudor blood, she was just a brood mare for that bloodline to be back on the throne.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You haven't been over here in a while, have you? Road work was done about two years ago. This is motorcycle heaven as attested by over 100 thousand bikes coming to Nakusp annually.

Did they ever get that Silverton - New Denver bypass constructed?

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
King Æthelred the Unready, who was King of England twice, from 978 to 1013 and from 1014 to 1016.

Now I know where my good looks came from!:lol:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
We all await King Cliffy's first edict. I hope it is about maple-walnut ice cream.

I wonder if Cliffy, as King of Kanada, will be king of Britain as well? Poor dears, they have no king.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So far, there is no dissenting voice on Cliff's ascension to the throne. He definitely qualifies; as an artist, he certainly would out draw Chuck the Pretender when it comes to the loyalty of us Canucks. Oh yes, and thank the gods, he is not pregnant. Because he is not Muslim, the fear-the-kerchief crowd should have no objections.
A pleasant plus is that Cliffy has blood royal as do we all! I, myself, am related to the King of Spades.

here's a dissenting voice.... it would be nice to have someone with half a brain....... and no.... you and cliffy putting yours together still wouldn't come close.

The issue remains. Canada is dependent upon the will of other countries when it comes to choosing its own Head of State.

and once again we have the separatist talking out of his a$$ without a clue.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The issue remains. Canada is dependent upon the will of other countries when it comes to choosing its own Head of State.

That's not quite correct.

Canada made an independent and sovereign decision when it passed the Succession to the Throne Act, 2013. That Act was considered and passed by both Houses of Parliament—the Senate of Canada (which held comprehensive discussions on the matter), and the elected House of Commons—before it received the Royal Assent. The decision to alter the rules of succession, for our country, were an entirely Canadian decision.

There is a major difference between subordinate decision-making (as you've suggested it to be) and collaborative decision-making between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, and fourteen other Realms of the Commonwealth of Nations.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
and once again we have the separatist talking out of his a$$ without a clue.

And once again you have nothing useful to say beyond venting your aggression.

That's not quite correct.

Canada made an independent and sovereign decision when it passed the Succession to the Throne Act, 2013. That Act was considered and passed by both Houses of Parliament—the Senate of Canada (which held comprehensive discussions on the matter), and the elected House of Commons—before it received the Royal Assent. The decision to alter the rules of succession, for our country, were an entirely Canadian decision.

There is a major difference between subordinate decision-making (as you've suggested it to be) and collaborative decision-making between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, and fourteen other Realms of the Commonwealth of Nations.

But what if another country had refused to pass the changes. What would have happened then?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
And once again you have nothing useful to say beyond venting your aggression.

But what if another country had refused to pass the changes. What would have happened then?

see paradox's reply.....I don't need to "add" anything to your stupidity, separatist.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Any one of the sixteen Commonwealth realms has the right and the authority, should they so choose, to withdraw from the Statute of Westminster, 1931, which presently unites the Crown between those sixteen countries. Any such withdrawn realms would have the authority to continue with an order of succession different from the other Commonwealth realms. It would be a less than ideal situation, certainly, but is entirely within the legal and constitutional authority of each of those individual realms.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Any one of the sixteen Commonwealth realms has the right and the authority, should they so choose, to withdraw from the Statute of Westminster, 1931, which presently unites the Crown between those sixteen countries. Any such withdrawn realms would have the authority to continue with an order of succession different from the other Commonwealth realms. It would be a less than ideal situation, certainly, but is entirely within the legal and constitutional authority of each of those individual realms.

So basically, what you're saying is that if one of the other 15 Commonwealth realms had refused to accept the change concerning gender and succession, we would've had to either accept the old status quo despite our principles of sexual equality as stated in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms or simply withdraw from the system.

Seems to me that accepting the status quo in that situation would be refusing to stand up to what we believe in as a nation. We've been lazily accepting monarchy as our system despite its clash between some of its core principles and our core values and that to me is a lack of integrity and maturity as a nation.

Don't you think a country ought to stand up to their value system? You've been one of the staunchest supporter of monarchy in this forum since I've discovered it. How did you deal with the fact that the system was sexist at its core? How do you deal with the fact that it still discriminates on religion when our Charter clearly praises the wrongness of such a concept?