So why are conservative people afraid of debate

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now I hear the Conservative members of this forum as well as around Canada complaining about why we had a democratic debate in the first place about Afghanistan.

Now I am glad that the NDP had this debate on Afghanistan, and I am not truly concerned as a Canadian soldier if two MPs from the NDP want to protest to bring the Canadian forces home. It is their democratic right as a parlimentarian and a person in Canada to feel the way they feel.

The NDP brought up concerning issues with regards to prisoners of war and with regards to torture, we know how conservatives people love torture, its kind of funny if they are so anti-military that it is ordinary people most likely conservative members who write blasting NDP members. Not one single voice of concern about this debate by military members.

Also, funny thing was that with conservatives trying to rein in media control and other draconic and undemocratic measures it is not a surprise to have conservative members of parliment to try to shut down a debate.

And people I truly do not believe you when you say that there was only 8 NDP members there, bunch of BS since I watched it and at the end at least 75% of NDP seats were filled.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Government of Canada is attempting to impose restrictions on the media where they must submit lists of reporters and proposed questions to the Government, and the appropriate members of the Government are required to "okay" the questions in order for them to be asked.

This seems quite a partisan, and overtly undemocratic, practice (in my opinion).

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sounds scary.....is there a gag order on the submited questions?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I believe that this practice extends to media availabilities (such as questioning Ministers coming out of meetings, or members of the Government coming out of the House of Commons after major proceedings, things like that. And yes, I do think it gives the left-wing parties some "firepower" — however, current numbers would seem to indicate that support for the party hasn't waivered, so I would assume people don't particularly care.