So Long World Heritage Site

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Tomorrow's target is Tyre, a city which has withstood seige after seige after seige as a result of its immensely beautiful - soon to be oil slick bombed out ugly- location.

In memory of Tyre, tomorrow's colour will be purple, to commemorate the original industry of ancient Tyre- the creation of purple clothing dye.

www.middleeast.com/tyre.htm

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
I believe that the Israeli defence forces have already stated quite adamantly that they DO NOT intentionally target innocent world heritage sites.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Re: RE: So Long World Heritage Site

cortex said:
I believe that the Israeli defence forces have already stated quite adamantly that they DO NOT intentionally target innocent world heritage sites.

Accidents will happen, when you are at war :(

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Vereya, I have a feeling that Cortex was being completely sarcastic. I think we can kiss goodbye to many of the wonderful archeological artefacts in Lebanon, Afghanistan and Iraq. If an army has no restraints in bombing civilians, they sure dont care about ancient piles of rubble.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

fuzzylogix said:
Vereya, I have a feeling that Cortex was being completely sarcastic. I think we can kiss goodbye to many of the wonderful archeological artefacts in Lebanon, Afghanistan and Iraq. If an army has no restraints in bombing civilians, they sure dont care about ancient piles of rubble.

The Taliban already destroyed one of Afghanistans greatest archeological sites; the Bamiyan Buddhas, because they considered them to be "idols".

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0301-04.htm

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005

fuzzylogix said:

Then you are pleased with the Israeli response. The Israelis could have killed tens of thousands of lebanese if they had no restraint. Unlike the the Islamo-fascists who are trying, ineptly as usual, to kill as many Israeli civilians as possible.

Have you ever been outside of your city block? Please advise what 'many wonderful archeological artifacts' in Lebanon are being destroyed in this war. Are you a liar or just ignorant?

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
1. Wow- Mogz was right!!!!!!!!!! He said that the Israelis could kill tens of thousands of Lebanese if they had no restraint too!!!!! Where do you guys get these figures!!!!

I think nations should get Brownie points with the UN for the restraint they show. eg. Israel gets tens of thousands of points because they could kill that many but havent, the US gets millions of points because with all their nuclear weapons, they could kill millions, and Hezbollah gets- well, lets hope it is only hundreds. So now we can declare the winner, and we dont need to have a war.

2. Part of the Israeli goal in this war, is to destroy the economy of Lebanon, an economy that is increasingly building up by tourism since rebirth after their last war. Look at the wonderful link to Tyre to see what a magnificent place this is. And no, sadly I have not yet visited Lebanon. Now look at the current photos of oil destroyed beaches and demolished homes. We dont know how many artefacts are being destroyed here, or in other places such as Iraq!!!!! The point is that the destruction of Tyre not only kills people and disrupts their life right now, but is destroying the life and livelihood of generations to come.

3. To question that archeological artefacts are not in the line of fire shows complete ignorance of the archeology of the area. The Middle East, being the birthplace of civilization is littered with enumerable artefacts, many places still undiscovered. But it is early days yet to be tabulating the damage in Lebanon and Israel, so let's look at Iraq:

www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1391042,00.html

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

DurkaDurka said:
fuzzylogix said:

The Taliban already destroyed one of Afghanistans greatest archeological sites; the Bamiyan Buddhas, because they considered them to be "idols".

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0301-04.htm

That doesn't count, Israelis or Americans were not involved, so it's a non issue.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Speak for yourself ITN. The demolishing of any heritage site is sad, no matter who does it. Nobody here has said that the Taliban's destruction of the Buddhas was not a heinous crime too. It was, particularly as it was a very deliberate act.