Smoking ban rears its ugly head again!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Quick question.

Who farts in public?

Nobody, mostly right?

Farts are stinky but not actually harmful to breath. Go figure.

If you want to inhale toxic fumes then get a space helmet and keep it away from me.
I used to smoke a pack a day and other stuff too. I didn't know how nice it was to not have that stench all the time till they banned smoking in public places. I worked in an office building when I quit and soon realized how bad the place smelled.
Now to give some context, my wife smokes literally 40 cigarettes a day, about 25 at home on a week days and 40 a day on weekends.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I stopped smoking twenty years ago, and that makes me so much better than all of you who still
smoke.........Kidding.......I probably quit smoking a 129 times. I finally quit for good about twenty
years ago. I still get nervous when I see someone lighting up a cigarette with their morning coffee.
It is only my steel will that keeps me from attacking that smoker for his pack of smokes. My steel will,
plus my family would kill me if I ever touched a cigarette again...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm 1 day shy of 13 months without cigarettes. Once every couple week I'll spark up a panter, get a wicked head rush and enjoy the dopamine.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
congrats... there's a thread around here somewhere talking about addiction and how it rewires your brain...after 12 years of not smoking, when I am stressed, I still want a cigarette. For my one year anniversary I lit up to try it. Damn thing almost choked me. What I don't miss is "the count down" that goes on all day when you smoke.

When I finish this page I will go outside and have one.
When I make my coffee I will go outside and have one.
When I etc.

I always smoked inside my residence and claimed I would never quit...then one day out of the blue, after seeing someone walking down the street hauling an oxygen tank with them, I thought: "wow, that is going to be me" quit right after that.

sorry bear, that was for Petros...lol ya jumped me...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I just heard on C.B.C. news that the "do good meddlers" are at it again in trying to push a smoking ban on all patios and parks. Just seems some people can't mind their own frigging business. I think every park should have a bench with ashtrays located in a remote area of the park where there isn't too much traffic. These people could do more good by removing 10 cars. Do they really think they are going to get people to quit smoking by pissing people off? If they want to do some real good get rid of muggers, rapists, dope pushers and child molesters that lurk in parks and leave law abiding citizens alone. As for the patios I think smoking should be allowed at one end (the downwind end if applicable) Time to start using common sense.
Smoking bylaw should have full patio ban - Health - CBC News
Meh. Life's a bitch or a beach, it's up to you which one you want.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One won't hurt.....

I had stopped smking for about a year and somebody told me that that year was all I needed
and that the habit was as good as broken. I tried one and within two days I was back to a
pack a day.....stupid bastird.....

I quit for good after that.....hardest thing I ever done...Took me three months to get back to
a form of sanity.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
One won't hurt.....

I had stopped smking for about a year and somebody told me that that year was all I needed
and that the habit was as good as broken. I tried one and within two days I was back to a
pack a day.....stupid bastird.....

I quit for good after that.....hardest thing I ever done...Took me three months to get back to
a form of sanity.
I don't think the habit is ever broken I think it is a constant choice. And if I were to be really honest, I think I was one of the small percentage not actually physically addicted. I had almost no physical withdrawal at all. Mentally though, not so lucky, contemplating quitting would give me anxiety overload.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't think the habit is ever broken I think it is a constant choice. And if I were to be really honest, I think I was one of the small percentage not actually physically addicted. I had almost no physical withdrawal at all. Mentally though, not so lucky, contemplating quitting would give me anxiety overload.

I was addicted alright. Once I was at a point where long buts in ashtrays around the house were not safe from me.
I have made promises to myself/God what I would do if I coulkd just get through that day. Pitiful.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
What about the factory smoke and the car exhaust will they ban cars and shut down the factories near a patio?

I see Patio's in places i would never go to just feet away from a busy road and all of that exhaust from cars and trucks at stoplights, not to mention the noise.

Let them smoke on the Patio for f***s sake..........

PS: I have a friend who is a beer rep and we were talking about this about a year after Ontario brought in the indoor smoking ban and he said the bars that didn't have a Patio were really hurting..............

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I had a buddy that wouldn't let anybody smoke in his car,said it would lower the resale value.Said car was rusted out Plymouth with no brakes or exhaust,he junked it because the battery cable was loose and it wouldnt start.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Drinking makes you drunk...& thus the reason it's banned in public places like
a park, etc...& smoking makes you....???....well, not drunk.

Smells awful and bothers people. Personally Id rather deal with a drunk provided its not a violent one.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
congrats... there's a thread around here somewhere talking about addiction and how it rewires your brain...after 12 years of not smoking, when I am stressed, I still want a cigarette. For my one year anniversary I lit up to try it. Damn thing almost choked me. What I don't miss is "the count down" that goes on all day when you smoke.

When I finish this page I will go outside and have one.
When I make my coffee I will go outside and have one.
When I etc.

I always smoked inside my residence and claimed I would never quit...then one day out of the blue, after seeing someone walking down the street hauling an oxygen tank with them, I thought: "wow, that is going to be me" quit right after that.
My wife still smokes and I've turned into one of those vocal azzholes who complain about others smoking. Last summer I bought seeds and grew her a bunch, cured it and the whole shebang. It wasn't the golden or "natural" cultivar but Cuban cigar tobacco with a smell I liked and it tasted great as cigarettes.

If I can't convince her to quit, I'll be planting a sh*tload this spring.

i had a buddy that wouldn't let anybody smoke in his car,said it would lower the resale value.said car was rusted out plymouth with no brakes or exhaust,he junked it because the battery cable was loose and it wouldnt start.
lol!

It's the dopamine addiction that is hard to break, nicotine is an easy addiction to break in comparison.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Sorry but if it impacts me, I have the right to b1tch. I am not and have never been a smoker. I avoid places where I am exposed to cigarette smoke in enclosed areas, etc. If someone is upwind of me at an outdoor event, they'd have to be smoking like a chimney to affect me, but if they do, then it is on them, not me, to make it right. If someone is smoking on a restaurant patio, then yes, it does affect my enjoyment of my meal, if their smoke wafts over to my table.

I do think rental property owners have the right to prohibit smoking, as it does impact their investment, in terms of having to re-paint and replace carpets, etc. I would think pretty long and hard about buying an apt. style condo in a bldg that allowed smoking as well, for the reasons outlined above. I also believe responsible parents don't smoke in a car with their kids. If that makes me an @$$hole, nazi or some other derogatory term, then so be it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I don't smoke, but I understand tobacco is easy to grow on the Prairies.

As youngsters we would try smoking rolled cottonwood leaves. Used to make us horribly sick. Quitting was easy; didn't need to chew gum.