Smokers cost society less in total health care costs

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
These are actually some old findings, subtitled Prevention No Cure for Increasing Health Expenditure. The basic idea being that, although the actual health related costs of smokers (and obese people) are higher, because non-smokers and the thin live longer, they run up higher costs in total health care expenditure during years when they are retired.

The basic idea being that people are productive until about the age they retire, and during that time are contributing. After that time they are basically draining what they already produced, since smokers produce just as much as non-smokers, but die earlier, they leave the world with the greatest contribution!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
These are actually some old findings, subtitled Prevention No Cure for Increasing Health Expenditure. The basic idea being that, although the actual health related costs of smokers (and obese people) are higher, because non-smokers and the thin live longer, they run up higher costs in total health care expenditure during years when they are retired.

The basic idea being that people are productive until about the age they retire, and during that time are contributing. After that time they are basically draining what they already produced, since smokers produce just as much as non-smokers, but die earlier, they leave the world with the greatest contribution!

Nothing new here. Sin taxes have always been a cash generator for governments.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Balongna already smells like old people. I won't go near the stuff.

I resent that. I might be full of baloney, but I don't smell like it.

BTW regarding the post, any drug is dangerous if it it used on a large enough scale. Tobacco and alcohol currently cause the most problems in society simply because they are the most widely used. Increase marijuana use and it would probably result in more harmful incidents concerning the drug.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
the money spent on a patient who has been diagnosed with lung cancer must be overwhelming till his/her death,
and can include more than one surgery, and many months and years of drugs and effort to save the patient,
and I can imagine, could easily amount to 'more', than a healthy person living many many years longer.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
the money spent on a patient who has been diagnosed with lung cancer must be overwhelming till his/her death,
and can include more than one surgery, and many months and years of drugs and effort to save the patient,
and I can imagine, could easily amount to 'more', than a healthy person living many many years longer.

In my experience, the treatment period isn't really that long; friends and relatives who have succumed to the disease didn't last 3 years after diagnosis and treatment. For those wh survived, the treatment didn't last more than a few months. (I'm also lumping in folks with different types of cancer, many of whom didn't smoke and led relatively healthy lifestyles). My treatment and recovery had me off work for three months, one surgery, and yearly follow ups, 11 years and no reccurance, so I'm one of the lucky ones. Smoking causes other ailments, but smoking related cancer seems to either take you fairly quickly, or goes into remission quickly, (mine wasn't in the lung). There are many other lifestyle choices that lead to much more expensive and lengthy long term care.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Short of dying from case of lead injection or dropping dead from a heart attack, the largest amount of health care dollars will be spent on an individual in the last year of their life. Shooting people at 65 is the fiscally responsible thing to do.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Did you factor in the cost of heart by passes?

Short of dying from case of lead injection or dropping dead from a heart attack, the largest amount of health care dollars will be spent on an individual in the last year of their life. Shooting people at 65 is the fiscally responsible thing to do.

Shooting SOME people in their 40s might not be a bad idea either, especially ones who are obnoxious posters. :lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

I've been saying this for years. It's an easy tax grab.

A healthy person has to get sick and die sooner or later. That cost won't change, but the "healthier" live longer collecting social benefits longer on top of the end of life care etc.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've been saying this for years. It's an easy tax grab.

A healthy person has to get sick and die sooner or later. That cost won't change, but the "healthier" live longer collecting social benefits longer on top of the end of life care etc.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of seniors die in an uncomplicated fashion such as sudden heart attack or pneumonia. :smile:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It would be interesting to know what percentage of seniors die in an uncomplicated fashion such as sudden heart attack or pneumonia. :smile:

Pneumonia or heart attacks are usually a complication from something else. People with healthy lungs don't usually die from pneumonia. Heart attacks by themselves, usually strike younger men

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Pneumonia or heart attacks are usually a complication from something else. People with healthy lungs don't usually die from pneumonia. Heart attacks by themselves, usually strike younger men

That didn't answer the phenomena I brought up.