Small-chested Vietnamese may face motorbike ban

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Now here's one for the "What are they Smoking" section:

CTV.ca | Small-chested Vietnamese may face motorbike ban

HANOI, Vietnam -- Vietnam is considering banning small-chested drivers from its roads -- a proposal that has provoked widespread disbelief in this nation of slight people.

The Ministry of Health recently recommended that people whose chests measure fewer than 28 inches would be prohibited from driving motorbikes -- as would those who are too short or too thin.

The proposal is part of an exhaustive list of new criteria the ministry has come up with to ensure that Vietnam's drivers are in good health. As news of the plan hit the media this week, Vietnamese expressed incredulity.

"It's ridiculous," said Tran Thi Phuong, 38, a Hanoi insurance agent. "It's absurd."

"The new proposals are very funny, but many Vietnamese people could become the victim of this joke," said Le Quang Minh, 31, a Hanoi stockbroker. "Many Vietnamese women have small chests. I have many friends who won't meet these criteria."

It was unclear how the ministry established its size guidelines or why it believes that small people make bad drivers. An official there declined to comment.

The average Vietnamese man is 5 feet, 4 inches tall and weighs 121 pounds. The average Vietnamese woman is 5 feet, 1 inch tall and weighs 103 pounds.

Statistics on average chest size were unavailable.

The draft, which must be approved by the central government to become law, would also prohibit people from driving motorbikes if they suffer from array of health conditions like enlarged livers or sinusitis. The rules would cover the vast majority of Vietnam's 20 million motorbikes. It would not apply to drivers of cars or trucks.

Motorbikes account for more than 90 per cent of the vehicles on Vietnam's chaotic roads, which are among the world's most dangerous.

Nearly 13,000 road deaths were recorded last year, and Vietnam has one of the world's highest rates per 100,000, according to the World Health Organization. The majority of accidents involve motorbikes, which many workers in the nation of 85 million need to do their jobs.

When Nguyen Van Tai, a motorbike taxi driver, heard about the proposal, he immediately had his chest measured. Much to his relief, Tai beat the chest limit by 3 inches.

"A lot of people in my home village are small," said Tai, 46. "Many in my generation were poor and suffered from malnutrition. And now the Ministry of Health wants to stop us from driving to work."

Vietnamese bloggers have been poking fun at the plan, envisioning traffic police with tape measures eagerly pulling over female drivers to measure their chests.

"From now on, padded bras will be best-sellers," said Bo Cu Hung, a popular Ho Chi Minh City blogger.

Newspapers were inundated with letters on Tuesday from concerned readers who worried that they wouldn't measure up.

"I'm not heavy enough, what am I going to do?" Le Thu Huong asked in a letter to Tuoi Tre newspaper. "And what about people whose chests are small? Most of them are too poor to afford breast implants!"

Now how screwed up is that?

They didn't even supply logical reasons for these new measures..... and what are the alternatives for those who don't "Measure Up?"

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OYou go frying ovel hanerbals golla hava biga boob to rand on!!

load lash ona boob

owww

no bigga boob, no dlive scooler

Ita raw!!:cool:

Boob porice get you.

We could use the same law in Canada, except make it, if you're over 300 lbs., no scooter!!
Looks like an ice cream cone on two wheels headin out, eh!

Yo mamma, we got the boobs fer drivin.

Can;t see the handlebars, but we gott'em.

......well, not me, but.........youno.

8O

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
90% of the vehicle traffic is either scooters or motorcycles? Wow! 20 Million in one small country.
The 13,000 road deaths might be influenced by the fact that these people only have access to bikes
and scooters to transport cargo over long distances. That can become very dangerous. Found some
pic's. Perhaps the "chest size" thing is that the government wants to be assured in advance that you
are able to carry more than your body weight in cargo while operating a scooter?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If anyone has ever wondered how many Vietnamese can ride on the same motorcycle at the same
time without it being a circus act, I think the answer is six. This might have something to do with the
number of scooter accidents per 100,000....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:lol:.........Good ones Ron!!

Gotta feel for the little piggies in the crates. Not too much SPCA there, obviously.

Soon as global warming gets here and the snow buggers off, I'm gettin one.

Not a piggy, a scooter. My chest is big enough.

8O

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
it's also a sexist regulation. women are more likely to have a big enough chest than men

Now that you mention it, out of 16 pictures, only one is of a woman driving (with many chickens).
Is that due to woman having more common sense than most men? The load of chickens is most
likely one of the most stable loads too in that it looks balanced with a low center of gravity, and
she can get off the bike in an emergency if the need arises. You might be onto something there.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
90% of the vehicle traffic is either scooters or motorcycles? Wow! 20 Million in one small country.
The 13,000 road deaths might be influenced by the fact that these people only have access to bikes
and scooters to transport cargo over long distances. That can become very dangerous. Found some
pic's. Perhaps the "chest size" thing is that the government wants to be assured in advance that you
are able to carry more than your body weight in cargo while operating a scooter?

From the looks of the posted pics, perhaps they should look at 'brain size'!