Six people in minivan died in head-on collision

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
lone wolf, since I am 71 years old, most of the people I deal with are younger than I am. If you are not, I apologize, and bow my head at your wisdom which you undoubtedly earned by your advanced years.

But I never called you an idiot and never implied that you were one all the time. I never called you Shyte, self-important, self-absorbed fool, have I? I never accused you of having a gigantic ego.

As far as who was there first, have your way. I helped to develop the section of the 401 between Kingston and Napanee in 1960. If you can beat that, bully for you! And my participation in that was no less worthy than being a long distance trucker or a plow operator.

The OP referred to a HEAD-ON collision, and as far as I know there has never been one of those on racetrack, except maybe in your mind.

If you want to keep on nit picking, you are welcome to it. Unless you say something worth my while, GOOD BYE!!!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
lone wolf, since I am 71 years old, most of the people I deal with are younger than I am. If you are not, I apologize, and bow my head at your wisdom which you undoubtedly earned by your advanced years.

But I never called you an idiot and never implied that you were one all the time. I never called you Shyte, self-important, self-absorbed fool, have I? I never accused you of having a gigantic ego.

As far as who was there first, have your way. I helped to develop the section of the 401 between Kingston and Napanee in 1960. If you can beat that, bully for you! And my participation in that was no less worthy than being a long distance trucker or a plow operator.

The OP referred to a HEAD-ON collision, and as far as I know there has never been one of those on racetrack, except maybe in your mind.

If you want to keep on nit picking, you are welcome to it. Unless you say something worth my while, GOOD BYE!!!

Do you know why they have all those signs that say WRONG WAY on the wrong way on ramps? Because people are people and people screw up. In my time at Downsview MTO, I was called upon to assist on the clean-up of no less than three head-on collisions between Dixon and Yonge Streets - ON 401 over ONE winter season.

BTW.... As I bear no accreditation or certification to the effect, you may consider the terms Idiot and Fool as terms of endearment....

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
How could seatbelts have possibly helped for anything other than to make the bodies easier to find? I'm thinking motorhome operators should be subjected to the same class licence system as commercial drivers. Too often it's a case of too much vehicle for the experience at hand.
The driver of the Motorhome was not at fault. The van crossed over the centre line. Drivers of those big motorhomes are required to have a class C driver's lic.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Six members of two families died when their minivan collided with a huge motorhome near Golden B.C.
All of the fatalities were in the minivan
Four of the six victims were not wearing seat belts
Head-on crash in B.C. kills six from Edmonton - Yahoo! Canada News

All I can say about this particular accident is it's profoundly sad, as I wasn't there. However I did travel this long weekend (pulling my 5th Wheel) and as usual noticed about 1/3 of the drivers on the road have no business being there or having a drivers' license. The two biggest reasons...............tail gating and unnecessary passing. I fully realize when I pull my rig, I'm not capable of doing the speed limit on the long steep hills and where there is no passing lane and no stable shoulder to pull off on you are just going to have to grin and bear it, crawling up my A$$ isn't going to help anybody, the worst I'm going to do to you is delay you two minutes reaching your destination. And the quicker you get past me the quicker you catch up to the next slow poke. When it's safe I always pull over and let people by, but when I can't TOUGH. While I've never considered speed to be the cause of most accidents, when accidents do occur and excessive speed is involved the damage is greatly exacerbated, so that is a good thing to keep in mind. The damage at 70 mph is twice what it is at 50 mph. and could also be the difference between minor injuries and death. You can just solve everything by leaving 10 minutes early.

That is sad, why don't people wear their seat belts?

It's called "being macho".................................if dead is "macho"..............:lol::lol::lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
there is no fault here to the motorhome driver, what is he to do, when an oncoming vehicle drifts
into his lane, there is no time, and he isn't driving a sports car, that perhaps could swerve out
of the way, everything happens so fast, and even a sports car probably could not avoid the crash.

It is unthinkable to think a driver would take responsibility of that many people and drive while
he is very tired, that is unforgiveable.

Also, where was a second person watching the road who could have hollered the second he began to
drift over. That is a position I always take, without being a pick-ass about it, I take it upon
myself to watch the road just as the driver does. Driving is a life and death responsibility, and
so many people don't take it that seriously.

I had to holler at my husband years ago, (we were just teenagers, not yet married), as he fell
asleep coming home from the interior after a long week end of camping and visiting. Had I not
hollered at him immediately, he, myself and my mother would have been in a serious accident.

Unless he had a medical poblem that made him unable to avoid the problem, that driver just killed
all of those people, no different than if he had a gun and shot them, but he won't have to worry
about that now, will he.

So sad, and so avoidable.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Do you hate it when you pass someone and they don't turn off their high beams?

Well then don't pass me.

Years and years ago a trades man drove all the way from Fort McLeod to Calgary followed by a woman with her high beams on. At the first stop light on the approach to Calgary he grabbed a hammer he happened to have on the seat beside him, got out, smashed both her head lights and then carried on as if nothing happened. I believe I heard the judge was very sympathetic, but fined him anyway. :lol:

there is no fault here to the motorhome driver, what is he to do, when an oncoming vehicle drifts
into his lane, there is no time, and he isn't driving a sports car, that perhaps could swerve out
of the way, everything happens so fast, and even a sports car probably could not avoid the crash.

It is unthinkable to think a driver would take responsibility of that many people and drive while
he is very tired, that is unforgiveable.

Also, where was a second person watching the road who could have hollered the second he began to
drift over. That is a position I always take, without being a pick-ass about it, I take it upon
myself to watch the road just as the driver does. Driving is a life and death responsibility, and
so many people don't take it that seriously.

I had to holler at my husband years ago, (we were just teenagers, not yet married), as he fell
asleep coming home from the interior after a long week end of camping and visiting. Had I not
hollered at him immediately, he, myself and my mother would have been in a serious accident.

Unless he had a medical poblem that made him unable to avoid the problem, that driver just killed
all of those people, no different than if he had a gun and shot them, but he won't have to worry
about that now, will he.

So sad, and so avoidable.

Hi Talloola- I just drove that highway in the past month and I strongly think 80 kmh should be the limit on the whole section from Revelstoke to Kicking Horse Pass until such time as it is four laned and wide median. Even that won't save tail gaters. I personally think if the highway patrol just dedicated themselves to dealing with tail gaters (and issuing a $500 fine) the roads would be 75% safer.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Years and years ago a trades man drove all the way from Fort McLeod to Calgary followed by a woman with her high beams on. At the first stop light on the approach to Calgary he grabbed a hammer he happened to have on the seat beside him, got out, smashed both her head lights and then carried on as if nothing happened. I believe I heard the judge was very sympathetic, but fined him anyway. :lol:
So why didn't he just follow her?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
How could seatbelts have possibly helped for anything other than to make the bodies easier to find? I'm thinking motorhome operators should be subjected to the same class licence system as commercial drivers. Too often it's a case of too much vehicle for the experience at hand.

Why? The driver of the motor home had absolutely nothing to do with this accident. I don't think any of us would have been able to prevent the same sort of accident if it had happened to us.:(

As far as the seatbelts are concerned, not wearing them did kill them, but even the slimmest of chances for survival by wearing the seatbelt would have been more than they had by not wearing them.

No matter how you look at it, it is a terrible tragedy, made worse by the fact that the child is now an orphan.:(

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So why didn't he just follow her?

I guess he started out first. :lol::lol::lol: Actually I know none of the other details just relating a story told to me about 47 years ago.

Why? The driver of the motor home had absolutely nothing to do with this accident. I don't think any of us would have been able to prevent the same sort of accident if it had happened to us.:(

As far as the seatbelts are concerned, not wearing them did kill them, but even the slimmest of chances for survival by wearing the seatbelt would have been more than they had by not wearing them.

No matter how you look at it, it is a terrible tragedy, made worse by the fact that the child is now an orphan.:(

Yep, that stretch of road is similar to the tunnels in the Fraser Canyon, you are totally at the mercy of any approaching traffic. Tunnels and snow sheds have always given me the Willys and the situation is very similar there- rock wall on one side and sheer precipace on the other.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

8O Jeez, Lone; the minivan crossed the line and HIT the RV!!!

Mebee teach the immies that this might be harmful to their health.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
From the looks of it, seat belts probably wouldn't have helped. The motorhome looks the size of a Greyhound bus.

There wasn't much room left in that minivan for the six people.

Golden Star - Crash near Golden kills six - Mobile Edition

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
8O Jeez, Lone; the minivan crossed the line and HIT the RV!!!

Mebee teach the immies that this might be harmful to their health.
My bad for not making a new paragraph. True, the van crossed the centreline.

Second paragraph ... new thought in reflection of minicar drivers who can get behind the wheel of motorhomes built on highway coach chassis with no more experience than having held a steering wheel.