Should I be offended

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I wouldn't be offended if one of my American cousins came here to stay for a visit and wanted a turkey dinner and whatnot on Nov. 25. (I love food lol) I think I'd be a bit miffed if I was visiting my cousin and they were offended because I wanted to share a Canadian thanksgiving with them.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I guess I am the only one who doesn't find her dress up theme funny. She is suggesting to you that we all wear jeans and plaid work shirts up here. Tell her they are the only thing that keeps us warm in our igloos unless things really get bad and we have to call in the dogs from the team to gather round so their fur keeps us warm instead. Maybe she should come dressed as a turkey. 8O

Maybe I missed something along the way, but denim and plaid to me only describes a cowboy, and the u.s. cowboys look the same, so????????
I would have a hard time to find 'a canadian' look for a costume party,
we don't walk around in costumes as far as I know.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Maybe I missed something along the way, but denim and plaid to me only describes a cowboy, and the u.s. cowboys look the same, so????????

Think Bob and Doug Mckenzie

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Wear a toque and mukluks maybe? lol Or wear a polar bear costume? Arctic fox? Snowy owl? :D

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Wear a toque and mukluks maybe? lol Or wear a polar bear costume? Arctic fox? Snowy owl? :D

Oh yeah, I forgot that they think we are all living in igloos and wear hooded parkas.
Guess I better buy one, parka that is, it'll have to be a 'fake' igloo, styrofoam
maybe?

Should we get started on 'what we would wear' ,dressing like a u.s. person
at a costume party, where do we begin.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Being offended is the undeniable sign of wekness.

In all my life anytime I was "offended", I just shrugged it off and said to the offender: I have been called worse than that by better people than you.

Worked every time.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oh yeah, I forgot that they think we are all living in igloos and wear hooded parkas.
Guess I better buy one, parka that is, it'll have to be a 'fake' igloo, styrofoam
maybe?

Should we get started on 'what we would wear' ,dressing like a u.s. person
at a costume party, where do we begin.
Guys could wear T-string bikini bottoms like some in California do. *shivers at the thought of visible hairy buttcracks*

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I wouldn't be offended if one of my American cousins came here to stay for a visit and wanted a turkey dinner and whatnot on Nov. 25. (I love food lol) I think I'd be a bit miffed if I was visiting my cousin and they were offended because I wanted to share a Canadian thanksgiving with them.
It's not the sharing that is offensive. It's the implication that Canadians all walk around in plaid shirts and jeans. I don't think the girl is talking about cowboy wear. She means the flannel work shirts.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I am a Canadian living in the us and my live in girl friend has decided to organize a canadian thanksgiving party at my house. Her and my best friend here have planned to make it a dress up party and dress up in "the canadian tuxedo" (denim and plaid). So my question to other canadians is to if I should feel offended by this?

No, it makes for a nice theme dinner.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's not the sharing that is offensive. It's the implication that Canadians all walk around in plaid shirts and jeans. I don't think the girl is talking about cowboy wear. She means the flannel work shirts.

It's all in FUN as a Parody for a Party! Not all Mexicans wear Sombreros and eat
Taco's...but if that was the theme of the Party...I'd put on my Sombrero and grab
my Tequila and have a great time. Ariba! :lol::lol::lol:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

If you where to have a Party where your group would dress like Americans, tell
them to pick one of the characters in the picture below...as a Parody....

....and then you grab your assless chaps and a bottle of Jim Beam and you have
a great time. Yehaw!

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

I hit a big Redneck Party (The Redneck Games) every year. We know that not
all Rednecks (& we're all a little Redneck now, aren't we?) dress like this, but it's
a Party, so you get in character and your bottle with three XXX's on it and go nuts,
and have a great time!!! (Insert Rebel Yell here 8O) :lol::lol::lol:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I am a Canadian living in the us and my live in girl friend has decided to organize a canadian thanksgiving party at my house. Her and my best friend here have planned to make it a dress up party and dress up in "the canadian tuxedo" (denim and plaid). So my question to other canadians is to if I should feel offended by this?
You can start being offended if she takes your American flag down and raises the Canuck flag to replace it. Otherwise, chill and have fun and enjoy dinner. :D
BTW, don't Americans don't wear denim and plaid?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's all in FUN as a Parody for a Party! Not all Mexicans wear Sombreros and eat
Taco's...but if that was the theme of the Party...I'd put on my Sombrero and grab
my Tequila and have a great time. Ariba! :lol::lol::lol:

My niece married a sheep farmer and I showed up to a Halloween part in something very similar to this.

He is English and I did impressions of him all night. He thought it was hilarious. It did make it hard to mingle even though my love muffin wasn't as big as this one.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sorry Ron. I still can't agree. I know - I'm a big party pooper but it's Thanksgiving she is celebrating. Why not do it at Halloween or someone's birthday (even Canada Day would have been okay). Thanksgiving to me is a little more special than that. It's a day we spend together as a family. We do the whole turkey dinner bit. We used to dress up (really dress up - not costume dress up)and now we just dress casual but it's more like Christmas Dinner without the bad weather.