Should employers have the right to monitor your e-mail or where you go on the Net?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
secondly, If the company you work for restricts what programs you can install or run, preinstall them to a USB stick, plug it in and away you go.

Some IT guys are smart enough to prevent that from happening.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
To retired Toronto businessman Wilson Markle, who has installed software on the PCs of his two children to monitor what they access on-line, there’s no doubt: The race is over and technology has won. “Anybody who doesn’t have a thing to hide has no problem,” he says. “Those who do have something to hide will have a problem. I take comfort in that.”

Is there anyone, who doesn't have anything to hide from others, at diffent times?
Unless, of course, it is me and my monkey ;-)

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I think it's safer to separate work from personal stuff ... including snail mail and email.

Absolutely agree. There can be instances, when it is absolutely necessary to look through your work correspondence while you are away. And having separate mail-boxes for work and personal letters just seems more reasonable.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
It needs to be mentioned that the e-mail you use at work is not yours, it is company property. In theory you should not be using company resources for personal activities. So there for your employer can look at their e-mail anytime. As far as where you go on the web? If you're dogging it then that would be time theft. So the moral, us hotmail at work for personal stuff and learn how to clear the history etc on the browser.;-)

I did have a problem once, when one of my over-curious co-workers read the letters in my personal mail-box. There wasn't anything really compromising there, but I had a really unpleasant feeling. Since that time I always clear ICQ logs, and delete the most interesting letters...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Someone I know used to work for the federal gov't; they were advised that ALL emails sent and received through work accounts are stored and archived, AND ARE SUBJECT TO ACCESS UNDER FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUESTS.

Think about that one.

Personally, I figure that while at work, the only place to expect privacy is in the bathroom.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
As long as management has informed the employee of the do's and don'ts of Email and internet usage by them, they have every right to monitor all such. Most companies prefer the employee to work for their pay while on the job.:smile: