Should Britain and the United States merge?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
No. Britain should be an independent nation.

The British aren't interest in ice hockey.

Britain doesn't have a soccer team, apart from one which is competing in this year's London Olympics due to Britain being the host nation but which hasn't been able to play in any other Olympics since 1972 due to qualification rules.
i'll go for it as long as we send the maple leafs over there, then the british will really learn what
arrogance is, and it wouldn't be long before the maple leafs will declare themselves the centre of
the british empire, then we can move the phoenix coyotes to toronto, oh my god, i'm lovin this, i'm
tickly all over. lol

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I am going to call a Spade a spade here.

What a crock.

I find the most obvious analogies are often the least accepted.

i'll go for it as long as we send the maple leafs over there, then the british will really learn what
arrogance is, and it wouldn't be long before the maple leafs will declare themselves the centre of
the british empire, then we can move the phoenix coyotes to toronto, oh my god, i'm lovin this, i'm
tickly all over. lol

Then, we'll call them the Kaiyoots as they ought to be called! Kaiyotties indeed!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nope

Then, we'll call them the Kaiyoots as they ought to be called! Kaiyotties indeed!

Right on Spade! People who say Kaiyoties probably say things like fillum (what them dinosaur cameras used to use) :lol:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The term 'merge' is kind of deceptive to describe an interdependent economic treaty between two sovereign states.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The 'white eyes' or the ones who wrote the words in the treaties, if there are any differences.
You aren't too aware of all the back and bum stabbing that went on in Europe for the past 500 years because of the riches of the Americas?

jwmcq625

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2007
I would say yes and include Australia and New Zealand, not to mention the Pacific Islands that have some sort of free trade agreement with Australia.

But I wouldn't limit it to countries that speak English, because this could arouse the Quebec nationalists - I wouldn't mind including Haiti, a French-speaking country, and, yes, that would cause problems, but that would also silence the separatists forever.

I say we cut Quebec loose after first requiring them to pay their share of the national debt, and while they are at it, they can also include with them, any radical demanding members of the Acadian Society from NB.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Soon we'd have to add China if its an english speaking zone. Their population is learning english pretty quickly.

I've lived in China, and while nearly the entire population studies English in school, only about 4% really succeed in learning it well enough for it to be of any real practical use to them beyond exams. A little like most English-speakers in Canada learning French.

Canada will be part of it. Not a political union, but an economic one and easy movement to live and work in the Anglosphere. The same language means a great deal. Europe and the euro won't work imposing rules on countries and voters who resent such top down bueaucracy. This is a natural route to go as so many links exist already. The UK might get a decent hockey team in the deal. And we might get a decent soccer team.

Should Britain and the United States merge? – Telegraph Blogs

Should Britain and the United States merge?

By Daniel Hannan Politics Last updated: December 29th, 2011
595 Comments Comment on this article

Time to repatriate the revolution

In George Bernard Shaw's 1928 play, The Apple Cart, the American ambassador blurts out some momentous news to Britain's King:
The prodigal, sir, has returned to his father's house. Not poor, not hungry, not ragged, as of old. Oh no. This time he returns bringing with him the riches of the earth to the ancestral home. The Declaration of Independence is cancelled. The treaties which endorsed it are torn up. We have decided to rejoin the British Empire!
David Aaronovitch plays with the same idea in The Times today. I think he's trying to be funny, though I'm not completely certain. He uses the word 'ironically' in his column but, like many journalists, uses it to mean something along the lines of 'oddly enough'.
'We British pro-Europeans are beginning to sound more and more like Betamax enthusiasts arguing the superior merits of their systems against the unstoppable VHS tide', Aaronovitch writes. 'The people of Britain don’t get Europe, don’t like Europe and don’t want Europe'. Indeed.

And, since Britain is apparently too small to succeed on its own (pace Singapore, Switzerland, Qatar, Monaco, Norway, UAE etc), he suggests that we join the US. While, as I say, the proposal seems to be intended lightheartedly, the analysis that underpins it – the recognition that our two countries have a shared political culture and that Britain could benefit in many ways from repatriating the American Revolution – is moderate and reasonable.

The flaw in the Shavian fantasy of full amalgamation is, of course, that Americans are as jealous of their sovereignty as any people on Earth. Look at their (justified) suspicion of the United Nations. Look at their reticence vis-à-vis NAFTA. Do you really imagine that they'd accept a political union with 60 million Britons?

Just for the record, what we Atlanticists want is not a merger, but a free trade area. We'd like an organic, not a governmental union; ties between citizens, businesses and civic associations, not a combination of state structures. And we aim for it to embrace, not just Britain and the US, but the community of free English-speaking democracies – the Anglosphere. In fact, by coincidence, Iain Murray and James C Bennet explain how it would work in today's Wall Street Journal.

I could agree to it in principle.

One possibility I could see would be sovereign states but on one point: citizenship. The citizens of these states would share a common citizenship and passport, but each state would still be sovereign otherwise. This would of course mean redefining voting rights in that a person moving from the US to Canada would forfeit his right to vote in US elections but would gain his right to vote in Canadian ones jsut as an Ontarian moving to Manitoba for example. In other words, voting rights would be based on residency.

Sovereign states otherwise though.

I would say yes and include Australia and New Zealand, not to mention the Pacific Islands that have some sort of free trade agreement with Australia.

But I wouldn't limit it to countries that speak English, because this could arouse the Quebec nationalists - I wouldn't mind including Haiti, a French-speaking country, and, yes, that would cause problems, but that would also silence the separatists forever.

Either that or allow Quebec to separate but on amicable terms, even allowing dual citizenship for all who know both languages fluently.

"Should Britain and the United States merge?"

I'm thinking Britain might be somewhat gunshy of economic unions
at this point in time, due to the whole Ero experiment that isn't
working out quite like it was envisioned by many of the signatories.

Honestly the idea of a common currency still has its advantages; let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. The problem was not with a common currency, but rather with lack of fiscal discipline. Two separate issues.

Hong Kong the forgotten step child, they were once British then dumped.

As per the original agreement after the second Opium War, the british were to return Hong Kong to China, and they did so as promissed. Just remember how Hong Kong became a british colony to begin with: because China was trying to fight the British opium Trade.