SFTW meets The Kooks

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As British band The Kooks release their new single - "Ooh La" - they do an interview for The Sun.

The rockers have been a huge success - their debut album "Inside In/Inside Out" has sold over a million copies and this week they start their US tour, with venues in New York and Los Angeles sold out.

Something For The Weekend meets The Kooks

By JACQUI SWIFT
October 27, 2006

Brighton's The Kooks - success in Britain.....and soon North America

Ooh La ... new single

The Lowdown

Members:
Luke Pritchard, vocals;
Hugh Harris, guitar;
Max Rafferty, bass;
Paul Garred, drums.

Hits: Eddie's Gun, Sofa Song, You Don't Love Me, Naive, She Moves In Her Own Way

Myspace: myspace.com/thekooks

WHEN The Kooks had to postpone a string of UK tour dates last month, it was a wake-up call for frontman Luke Pritchard.

The Brighton band, one of this year’s success stories, had to reschedule five dates when Luke was hit with chronic tonsillitis and laryngitis.

Constant touring and late-night partying had taken its toll on the star, who was told by doctors he needed six days of rest and recuperation.

As I chat to the curly-haired singer in a Manchester hotel, it’s obvious that his illness has changed his outlook on life in a band.

Sat with a cup of juiced beetroot in his hand, Luke, 21, tells me: “Everything’s changed now. I’d been to LA to interview (Blondie singer) Debbie Harry and got sick with a fever. I had to fly home the next day and it got worse. Then I was told it was severe tonsillitis and laryngitis.

“Getting so ill scared me. We’ve bought a juicer now and that’s what I drink on the tour bus. I hated having to cancel those gigs. It’s not just me it affects but all the fans who bought tickets, took days off work and paid for hotels.”

The band had already suffered one casualty when bass player Max Rafferty was forced to leave with a near-breakdown from the constant touring. Luke says: “I don’t want to say anything that might upset him but when it happened it made us all even more determined to succeed.

“It was tough but we couldn’t let it get in the way as we think we are a good and important band that deserves to be big. For all the good things you’re going to have bad.

“It’s all a bit up in the air as to whether he’ll ever come back. Maybe being in a band like this isn’t for everyone. For me, I love it — travelling, not having a stable life. But it doesn’t really work for Max. Who knows? We’ll see. As soon as we find out, we’ll let everyone know.”

It’s been a phenomenal year for The Kooks. Their debut album Inside In/Inside Out has sold more than a million copies, making them one of the bands of the year and Luke one of music’s newest heart-throbs.

Even as we sit chatting, he is constantly pestered by girls asking for autographs and photos — and is always accommodating.

He jokes: “It’s not always like this. I get abuse, too, but I can take it. In general, though, people are cool.”

Ooh La is The Kooks’ sixth single released from Inside In/Inside Out, showing the strength of the album.

Luke says: “Our record label wanted to re-release Sofa Song but we have a policy of no re-releases. Editors and Kaiser Chiefs both did it — but not us. We think we have 14 singles on our album

“Even if Ooh La doesn’t do anything in the charts we don’t care. It’s just a simple pop song that shows a more edgy side of us. A great song with a big chorus.”

And is it true that the song is about Luke’s ex, singer Katie Melua, who he went out with for three years?

He says: “Not at all. A certain weekly music magazine wrote that it was. Kate is the kind of person who stays out of the spotlight apart from her charity work. I’ve learned to handle questions about her but there’s nothing to talk about as my personal life is boring.”

One recent high point for The Kooks was supporting The Rolling Stones at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium in August.

It was a poignant moment for Luke, whose dad Bob died when he was just three. He was a big Stones fan and a guitarist whose band had once supported The Stones, too. And it was his record collection that led to Luke’s love of music.

He says: “It was full circle for me really because I never knew my dad but I’d made a connection with him through music. I grew up playing his favourite songs. Playing with The Stones was surreal — and my mum was in tears.”

This week The Kooks began their first US tour. With dates in New York and LA sold out, Luke is hopeful of matching their UK success across the pond.

He says: “We’re all very ambitious because we believe we have made some great music.

“We didn’t want to do America to begin with, being a bit humble. But now we’re at the point where we think we can do what we want”

The Kooks are already looking forward to next year and their second album — which Luke promises will blow everyone’s minds.

He reveals: “The next album is going to be f***ing amazing. We’re going to take our time and release it when we feel it’s ready.

It’ll be produced by Tony Hoffer again because I am in love with him.
“Listening to the first album reminds me how not to make the next one. We were just wrecked all the time and it shows.

“I’m itching to put the new songs out. I think the new record will be special as lyrically the songs are so much better. I wrote tracks like Naive when I was just 16.

“I’ve improved so much and have got the best musicians to work with. Bands are crap at playing instruments these days — but we’re different.”

thesun.co.uk

Last edited: