Several dead, many wounded in bus attack in Israel

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011
I am sure gays in the Gaza simply love being executed! I am sure Gazans love having weddings broken up because they are playing music. I am sure they play music just so they can abide by the beatings that Hamas bestows upon them.

LOL, not sure how accurate at all the wedding story is, lots of propaganda b.s floating around.
As far as gays being discriminated, it's an unfortunate thing but not limited to Hamas. Around most of the Muslims world it's frowned upon and yes there have been cases of executions. Quite honestly the entire world, while improvements have been made, still have far to go, as far as LGBT rights go.

Israel is not immune to homophobia

2009 Tel Aviv gay centre shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The attack is a direct provocation by Hamas in order to provoke Israel into a massive retaliation. If it does happen, the so called Gazans (if that name exists), will have to accept all responsibility for their own casualties for allowing Hamas to exist with them. We will know more in a few days when the bodies are collected. (cannot wait to long)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
LOL, not sure how accurate at all the wedding story is, lots of propaganda b.s floating around.

One need only look it up.

As far as gays being discriminated, it's an unfortunate thing but not limited to Hamas. Around most of the Muslims world it's frowned upon and yes there have been cases of executions.

Frowned upon? They hang them! But hey it's their culture.

I'll have to remember that!

Quite honestly the entire world, while improvements have been made, still have a lot to go as far as LGBT rights go.

Israel is not immune to homophobia

2009 Tel Aviv gay centre shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

State sanctioned?

The attack is a direct provocation by Hamas in order to provoke Israel into a massive retaliation. If it does happen, the so called Gazans (if that name exists), will have to accept all responsibility for their own casualties for allowing Hamas to exist with them. We will know more in a few days when the bodies are collected. (cannot wait to long)

Naaa... the Joooooos did it!

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011

No, that's completely unsubstantiated, and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Hamas usually admit if they commit an attack on Israel?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Gotta love how "waiting for further reports" turns into "it was de joooz".

I guess I'm just a joo hater, aren't I?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
No, that's completely unsubstantiated, and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Hamas usually admit if they commit an attack on Israel?

Not when there hoping to have the U.N. recognize Palestine next year. You can take your pick who did it: Egypt - No, Hamas - Possibility, Hamas splinter group probably. Either way, Hamas will pay as will the people.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
oh.. s h i t just got real..

Israel launches Gaza air strikes in retaliation for Eilat attacks

Air strikes come hours after gunmen armed with heavy weapons and explosives killed at least seven people in southern Israel

Israel launched air strikes on Gaza on Thursday after blaming militants in the Palestinian territory for deadly attacks near Eilat earlier in the day. Militants said five Palestinians were killed in the strikes.

Earlier at least seven people died when squads of gunmen armed with heavy weapons and explosives crossed into southern Israel from Egypt and attacked buses, cars and an army patrol, officials said.

The Israeli government immediately blamed attackers from Gaza. "This is specific information," said spokesman Mark Regev. "This is not an assessment. This is not an estimation. This is very, very precise information that they came out of Gaza. We have no doubt."

He did not provide further detail.

Taher Nunu, a spokesman for the Hamas government in Gaza, denied that the militants were involved. "Gaza has nothing to do with these attacks in Eilat," Nunu said.

The attacks in Israel began around midday local time and lasted for about three hours. Assailants targeted a packed bus driving along a road about 10 miles north of the Red Sea resort, close to the border crossing into Sinai. Within the space of about an hour, the attackers opened fire on another bus and two civilian vehicles on the same road, and an army vehicle rushing to the area drove over an explosive device, the military said in a statement.

TV footage showed a bus pulled off the road with its door and windows shattered, and soldiers were patrolling the area on foot. Inside the bus, seats were stained with blood, and luggage littered the aisle.

"We heard a shot and saw a window explode. I didn't really understand what was happening at first. After another shot there was chaos in the bus and everyone jumped on everyone else," passenger Idan Kaner told Channel 2 TV. He said the attack lasted three or four minutes until the bus was able to drive away.

Roadblocks were thrown up in the area and entrances and exits to Eilat were sealed.

The military said a "large number" of assailants were working in multiple squads, but gave no specifics. "We are talking about a terror squad that infiltrated into Israel," Israeli military spokeswoman Avital Leibovich said. "This is a combined terrorist attack against Israelis."

Israeli security forces tracked down some of the assailants and killed seven in a gunbattle, she added. Almost immediately Israel said the attackers came from the Gaza Strip and made their way through Sinai, which borders both Israel and Gaza.

"The incident underscores the weak Egyptian hold on Sinai and the broadening of the activities of terrorists," the Israeli defence minister, Ehud Barak, said in a statement. "The real source of the terror is in Gaza and we will act against them with full force and determination."

Security in Sinai has deteriorated sharply since February, when Hosni Mubarak was toppled from power. The attack comes just a week after the Egyptian army said it was about to launch an operation in Sinai to target what it described as "al-Qaida elements" on the Egyptian side of the border who had attacked a gas pipeline.

In Egypt, a senior security official denied that the attackers crossed into Israel from Sinai or that the buses were fired at from inside Egyptian territory. "The border is heavily guarded," said a Sinai-based official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.

Israel launches Gaza air strikes in retaliation for Eilat attacks | World news | guardian.co.uk

Couldn't they have at least waited to find out who it was before dropping bombs??!?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Gotta love how "waiting for further reports" turns into "it was de joooz".

I guess I'm just a joo hater, aren't I?

Why can't I participate in the Idiot Train that this thread is becoming? If absudity is what you want then let's get chugging!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Hmmmmm...Colpy, generally you condemn "terrorists" because they only attack civilians. This was a military attack against a military target. This attack is exactly what you have said, in the past, you would have less of a problem with. Militants attacking the military rather than civilians.

I certainly do have "less" of a problem with this than with a suicide bomber in a piza shop....or randomly fired missiles going into a town.

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011
Not when there hoping to have the U.N. recognize Palestine next year. You can take your pick who did it: Egypt - No, Hamas - Possibility, Hamas splinter group probably. Either way, Hamas will pay as will the people.

Hamas admitted they rocketed a school bus just a couple months ago.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
oh.. s h i t just got real..

Israel launches Gaza air strikes in retaliation for Eilat attacks

Air strikes come hours after gunmen armed with heavy weapons and explosives killed at least seven people in southern Israel

Israel launched air strikes on Gaza on Thursday after blaming militants in the Palestinian territory for deadly attacks near Eilat earlier in the day. Militants said five Palestinians were killed in the strikes.

Earlier at least seven people died when squads of gunmen armed with heavy weapons and explosives crossed into southern Israel from Egypt and attacked buses, cars and an army patrol, officials said.

The Israeli government immediately blamed attackers from Gaza. "This is specific information," said spokesman Mark Regev. "This is not an assessment. This is not an estimation. This is very, very precise information that they came out of Gaza. We have no doubt."

He did not provide further detail.

Taher Nunu, a spokesman for the Hamas government in Gaza, denied that the militants were involved. "Gaza has nothing to do with these attacks in Eilat," Nunu said.

The attacks in Israel began around midday local time and lasted for about three hours. Assailants targeted a packed bus driving along a road about 10 miles north of the Red Sea resort, close to the border crossing into Sinai. Within the space of about an hour, the attackers opened fire on another bus and two civilian vehicles on the same road, and an army vehicle rushing to the area drove over an explosive device, the military said in a statement.

TV footage showed a bus pulled off the road with its door and windows shattered, and soldiers were patrolling the area on foot. Inside the bus, seats were stained with blood, and luggage littered the aisle.

"We heard a shot and saw a window explode. I didn't really understand what was happening at first. After another shot there was chaos in the bus and everyone jumped on everyone else," passenger Idan Kaner told Channel 2 TV. He said the attack lasted three or four minutes until the bus was able to drive away.

Roadblocks were thrown up in the area and entrances and exits to Eilat were sealed.

The military said a "large number" of assailants were working in multiple squads, but gave no specifics.
"We are talking about a terror squad that infiltrated into Israel," Israeli military spokeswoman Avital Leibovich said. "This is a combined terrorist attack against Israelis."

Israeli security forces tracked down some of the assailants and killed seven in a gunbattle, she added.
Almost immediately Israel said the attackers came from the Gaza Strip and made their way through Sinai, which borders both Israel and Gaza.

"The incident underscores the weak Egyptian hold on Sinai and the broadening of the activities of terrorists," the Israeli defence minister, Ehud Barak, said in a statement. "The real source of the terror is in Gaza and we will act against them with full force and determination."

Security in Sinai has deteriorated sharply since February, when Hosni Mubarak was toppled from power. The attack comes just a week after the Egyptian army said it was about to launch an operation in Sinai to target what it described as "al-Qaida elements" on the Egyptian side of the border who had attacked a gas pipeline.

In Egypt, a senior security official denied that the attackers crossed into Israel from Sinai or that the buses were fired at from inside Egyptian territory. "The border is heavily guarded," said a Sinai-based official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.

Israel launches Gaza air strikes in retaliation for Eilat attacks | World news | guardian.co.uk

Couldn't they have at least waited to find out who it was before dropping bombs??!?

The article you posted said they found out who it was. wtf?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The article you posted said they found out who it was. wtf?

Dude, it's the Israeli defense minister - of course he's going to say that. That's like asking Peter McKay if it's worth sending NATO in for maple syrup extraction.

There was no proper investigation before they decided to start bombing people. Even if it was Hamas, that still doesn't mean you should just go bomb your enemies.

This is pretty f'd up.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Dude, it's the Israeli defense minister - of course he's going to say that. That's like asking Peter McKay if it's worth sending NATO in for maple syrup extraction.

Oh well that is different. Evil Joooos

Even if it was Hamas, that still doesn't mean you should just go bomb your enemies.

lol. Seriously?

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011

There was no proper investigation before they decided to start bombing people. Even if it was Hamas, that still doesn't mean you should just go bomb your enemies.

This is pretty f'd up.

It's messed up but are you really surprised at this point? This government is completely insane, extremist right-wing nutjobs.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
lol. Seriously?

Where have you been since 2001?

The only way to stop any conflict is if one side can practice restraint. The greater of the two powers naturally has to carry the bigger burden.

This could have been a great opportunity for them to show a bit of mercy, but now we're going to go back into the same cycle of fear mongering and blame.

Hell, they could have even used this as a diplomatic opportunity to come to term settlements.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
It's messed up but are you really surprised at this point? This government is completely insane, extremist right-wing nutjobs.

Defending one tiny little country surrounded by millions who would like to see them driven into the sea. Left wing government couldn't handle it. They have the right government at the right time in their history.