Seniors and the generation spending gap

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Roughly 1 million of the nation’s poorest people will be cut off SNAP (formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) over the course of 2016, due to the return in many areas of a three-month limit on SNAP benefits for unemployed adults aged 18-50 who aren’t disabled or raising minor children. These individuals will lose their food assistance benefits after three months regardless of how hard they are looking for work.
That sounds pretty bad, but the real knee-to-the-groin is a couple paragraphs below.
The loss of this food assistance, which averages approximately $150 to $200 per person per month for this group, will likely cause serious hardship among many. Agriculture Department (USDA) data show that the individuals subject to the three-month limit have average monthly income of approximately 19 percent of the poverty line, and they typically qualify for no other income support.

Wow, the homeless population and the crime rate is going to sky rocket. This is going to make the debtors prison sound like a nirvana for some.

Can't feed yourself? Commit a crime and get housing, 3 square meals a day and clothing.

Wonder if anyone has considered what the end result of this type of change is going to be?

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
One million adults to lose Food Stamps this year

One million adults to lose Food Stamps this year

Here are the first 1 million casualties of the GOP take-over.

Roughly 1 million of the nation’s poorest people will be cut off SNAP (formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) over the course of 2016, due to the return in many areas of a three-month limit on SNAP benefits for unemployed adults aged 18-50 who aren’t disabled or raising minor children. These individuals will lose their food assistance benefits after three months regardless of how hard they are looking for work.
That sounds pretty bad, but the real knee-to-the-groin is a couple paragraphs below.
The loss of this food assistance, which averages approximately $150 to $200 per person per month for this group, will likely cause serious hardship among many. Agriculture Department (USDA) data show that the individuals subject to the three-month limit have average monthly income of approximately 19 percent of the poverty line, and they typically qualify for no other income support.

This will be the first step in the next Republican caused recession.
I was speaking of the Canadian system, where the subsidies are given to the producers and are based on cost of production plus a reasonable profit. Our welfare system is somewhat different to the US system but aren't both systems supposed to look after those who are in desperate need. Obliterating the system defeats the whole purpose of making sure a safety nets is there for all. Why punish the needy as well as those who cheat the system.

But I agree on what the results will be. The Recessions and Depressions have occurred due to the notion of " the wealthy produce the jobs." It patently isn't so and doesn't work. Giving tax breaks to the wealthy doesn't produce more jobs for the middle or the poverty classes. It just makes sure the wealthy have a better chance of keeping the system in place!!

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I was speaking of the Canadian system, where the subsidies are given to the producers and are based on cost of production plus a reasonable profit. Our welfare system is somewhat different to the US system but aren't both systems supposed to look after those who are in desperate need. Obliterating the system defeats the whole purpose of making sure a safety nets is there for all. Why punish the needy as well as those who cheat the system.

But I agree on what the results will be. The Recessions and Depressions have occurred due to the notion of " the wealthy produce the jobs." It patently isn't so and doesn't work. Giving tax breaks to the wealthy doesn't produce more jobs for the middle or the poverty classes. It just makes sure the wealthy have a better chance of keeping the system in place!!

You really need purple ink for your computer.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Seniors Vote and that makes a huge difference. And here is a message the first young man
or woman that threatens my social security or medicare I will actually go out and campaign
against them with all the energy I have. No I am not willing to back down one cent, Oh right
we don't use the penny anymore, well I won't back down a nickel. We contributed to society
we were taxed by those in power and told at the end of the day we would receive benefits.
The benefits are due. The same whining generation that complains cause someone hacked
int XBox and interfered with their games will be demanding their benefits and if they work
they should be entitled to them.
Companies pay taxes yes but they don't pay their share and they have been given a favored
status for a while now, This year is the year of reckoning for the government and it is still
to be determined who will lead? After the election we will still be asking that question as not
one of the present leaders is a leader.
I will do my duty, I will vote either Trudeau or Mulcair as I will not vote Green or for Harper.
What a choice we have eh?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Seniors Vote and that makes a huge difference. And here is a message the first young man
or woman that threatens my social security or medicare I will actually go out and campaign
against them with all the energy I have. No I am not willing to back down one cent, Oh right
we don't use the penny anymore, well I won't back down a nickel. We contributed to society
we were taxed by those in power and told at the end of the day we would receive benefits.
The benefits are due. The same whining generation that complains cause someone hacked
int XBox and interfered with their games will be demanding their benefits and if they work
they should be entitled to them.
Companies pay taxes yes but they don't pay their share and they have been given a favored
status for a while now, This year is the year of reckoning for the government and it is still
to be determined who will lead? After the election we will still be asking that question as not
one of the present leaders is a leader.
I will do my duty, I will vote either Trudeau or Mulcair as I will not vote Green or for Harper.
What a choice we have eh?

You started out good but your last paragraph killed it. Don't "cut off your nose to spite your face":)

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Education spending should be slashed in order to fund more social spending for seniors. Seniors are the most valuable people in any society. I suggest weekly beer and pizza parties for seniors funded by cancellation of high school math classes.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Education spending should be slashed in order to fund more social spending for seniors. Seniors are the most valuable people in any society. I suggest weekly beer and pizza parties for seniors funded by cancellation of high school math classes.

What is the minimum age to get in on this? No need for math in skool anyway since most of them can't even figure out what time to show up for werk. And if they do the cash registers conveniently tell them the right change.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
LOL.....Of course we are the most wealthy seniors in history, for pity sakes, we are the oldest senior generation in history. The next generation will probably beat us if they don't kill themselves off, simply because they will live longer.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
What is the minimum age to get in on this?...

Everyone born prior to 1965.

I'm planning on living forever so I can suck more and more life out of the young. In fact, I propose that young people be compelled to donate blood on a monthly basis for the benefit of seniors. Seniors could go into a clinic as needed and get a transfusion of fresh high octane blood to keep their mojo working.