senator Duffy goes to court.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Isn't it wonderfull...... instead of concentrating on what was done wrong, as in the falsification of expense reports, everyone is concentrating on the pay back of said falsification as if paying back the money owed the taxpayers is worse than defrauding the taxpayers of said money.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Still no proof of wrong doing or criminal intent except perhaps on Duffy's part.

There may not be anything criminal about Wright making the payment and I for one as a taxpayer am glad he did.

And possibly Duffy did nothing wrong if it's proven there are no rules to spending limits as he has said.

The wrong doing from the PMO stand point is 'credibility'.

If all these people from Harpers office have been lying than they have no credibility.

Of course if it is found that Harper lied about the knowledge of this case, well that begs, what else is he and the others lying about?

I would like to offer that part of the reason Duffy didn't go quietly is that he sort of black mailed the PMO saying that 'he knows where the dead bodies are buried' which is a euphemism for knowing lot's of secrets the PMO and PM likely don't want to become public knowledge........

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
It was if the air was suddenly let out of the balloon. One moment the prosecutor was pounding Mike Duffy.

The next moment he wasn't. The trial was suddenly adjourned.

Without even being asked about the biggest charge against him, the bribery charge.

And before he and other witnesses, and the RCMP, could answer the most important question of all

Why was Nigel Wright not also charged with bribery? When he cut a cheque to cover-up a scandal.

So now it's just a story about money, instead of one about the corruption of power.

And what Michael Harris calls a "shabby show trial" is ending not with a bang but a whimper.

My own unschooled opinion is that nothing the Crown has produced rises to the level of a crime — and that is most especially true of the alleged $90,000 ‘bribe’ the senator took. No one, including the Crown or the RCMP, has given a satisfactory answer to the obvious question: If the bribe was received, doesn’t that mean the bribe was given as well? In other words, why was the decision taken to make Nigel Wright, the PM’s former chief of staff, a witness and not a co-accused?

Like Michael Sona before him, Duffy is at the heart of a political trial. The Senate’s abysmal administration and rules are what is really driving this process.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In a nutshell.

Duffy lied, cheated, and filed false reports. Harper didn't like it, told his COS that Duffy would have to pay the money back. Nigel Wright intervened, gave Duffy a check, to do the right thing and pay the money back.

Harper is such a b_stard.

How dare he say that Duffy should have to pay the money back. He should have just looked the other way, like a Liberal.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Duffy is in court because $90.000.00 was repaid to the gubmint. Maybe if Dalton and Dyke pay back the $4,000,000,000.00 they pissed away they'd be in court.

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Isn't it wonderfull...... instead of concentrating on what was done wrong, as in the falsification of expense reports, everyone is concentrating on the pay back of said falsification as if paying back the money owed the taxpayers is worse than defrauding the taxpayers of said money.

No political points to be scored there. Then Duffy would be considered just another cheating civil servant.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
If the Justin Trudeau's PMO were to repay the 49.5 million of taxpayer money - stolen but yet to be recovered - I promise that I will vote for him in the next election.

any questions?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If the Justin Trudeau's PMO were to repay the 49.5 million of taxpayer money - stolen but yet to be recovered - I promise that I will vote for him in the next election.

any questions?

I don't think 49 million will get an F-35, when is stolen tax payer money ever returned? Taxes are designed to steal money. If he can turn that arround I might vote for him as well. He has to alive though.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

any questions?
If we are going to embark on that, let's recover a few $million/billion that Mulroney stole! :)

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
It was if the air was suddenly let out of the balloon. One moment the prosecutor was pounding Mike Duffy.

The next moment he wasn't. The trial was suddenly adjourned.

Without even being asked about the biggest charge against him, the bribery charge.

And before he and other witnesses, and the RCMP, could answer the most important question of all

Why was Nigel Wright not also charged with bribery? When he cut a cheque to cover-up a scandal.

So now it's just a story about money, instead of one about the corruption of power.

And what Michael Harris calls a "shabby show trial" is ending not with a bang but a whimper.

My own unschooled opinion is that nothing the Crown has produced rises to the level of a crime — and that is most especially true of the alleged $90,000 ‘bribe’ the senator took. No one, including the Crown or the RCMP, has given a satisfactory answer to the obvious question: If the bribe was received, doesn’t that mean the bribe was given as well? In other words, why was the decision taken to make Nigel Wright, the PM’s former chief of staff, a witness and not a co-accused?

Like Michael Sona before him, Duffy is at the heart of a political trial. The Senate’s abysmal administration and rules are what is really driving this process.
Yes I agree with that and it's pretty much what I expected-even the crocodile tears and jealousy from the usual sad sack losers who's political party is now sucking hind teat across this mighty land and will be for decades.

How many more days is this porcine slime ball going to inundate the news?
He's actually slimmed down quite a lot since the trial started.