Sell your house in Vancouver and move to Fernie.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nobody making $12 an hour in Vancouver has a house to sell unless they inheirited it. Even then utities, cable, taxes, transportation and maintenance would leave you starving.

Follow the script:) :) I was talking about survivability in Fernie on $12 an hour after selling a $million house in Vancouver. Maybe the guy was a brain surgeon who wants to transfer to a more relaxed life style.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If I were a surgeon looking for a slower pace in a party town, I'd open a clinic and do nothing but fill out pot Rx forms at $500 a pop like the guy in Kelowna who does just that. They are good for a year so repeat patients are guaranteed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If I were a surgeon looking for a slower pace in a party town, I'd open a clinic and do nothing but fill out pot Rx forms at $500 a pop like the guy in Kelowna who does just that. They are good for a year so repeat patients are guaranteed.

I'm not sure how many openings there'd be for that in Fernie. :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Good choice. Excellent skiing and really easy to get to from Calgary without dieing thanks to Harper wasting money on 4 lane highways through the Rockies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Good choice. Excellent skiing and really easy to get to from Calgary without dieing thanks to Harper wasting money on 4 lane highways through the Rockies.

I've driven all the passes through the Rockies but I must have blinked on the 4 lane sections. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When was the last time you've driven to Calgary?

Three years ago. Yeah, there was a few miles east of Golden. They were still working just east of Golden. Not much east of Field. Nothing I can recall through the Yellowhead or Crowsnest.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Three years ago. Yeah, there was a few miles east of Golden. They were still working just east of Golden. Not much east of Field. Nothing I can recall through the Yellowhead or Crowsnest.

It's completely 4 lane until Banff -- at least it was last time I drove it in early 2000s.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That's right. Quit your job as a professor at SFU and go sell Squishys at the Fernie Quickie Mart.

... tourism jobs ... low paying Service Sector employment with the added attraction of seasonal unemployment.

Definitely not between Field and the summit.

Anyway we are a little off topic. Fernie is on Hwy 3 - 40 miles from the Crowsnest Pass.
The Frank Slide is an ominous portent.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Frank Slide is an ominous portent.

There is an entire range of mountains between Fernie and the Frank Slide and it's been 112 years since that has misbehaved.

That's right. Quit your job as a professor at SFU and go sell Squishys at the Fernie Quickie Mart.

Why should what you did in Vancouver have anything at all to do with what you do in Fernie when you have an extra $1/2 million in your pocket? With that kind of money you can do anything you want including refusing to bath, shave or chance your clothes or use any form of soap products.....................you don't have to impress anyone!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There is an entire range of mountains between Fernie and the Frank Slide and it's been 112 years since that has misbehaved.

Why should what you did in Vancouver have anything at all to do with what you do in Fernie when you have an extra $1/2 million in your pocket? With that kind of money you can do anything you want including refusing to bath, shave or chance your clothes or use any form of soap products.....................you don't have to impress anyone!
Okay. So Fernie offers the same breadth of employment opportunities as Vancouver, does it? Money is everything is it?
?

I'm really not very interested in impressing any of you. I post here for entertainment.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Okay. So Fernie offers the same breath of employment opportunities as Vancouver, does it? .

Breath of employment opportunities????????????????????????? Same number of opportunities? Definitely not. Cook, chambermaid, labourer, ski instructor- very likely, brain surgeons - not so many.