Scott Brison: If Canada doesn’t tackle income disparity, the economy will suffer

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I understand what you are saying, Machjo. I don't agree with all of it but that is not the question I was posing. I wrote of tax policies for the past thirty years that have been designed for the internal shift of wealth from poor to rich. Policies that have been so successful that the disparity now is wider than at any thime since the 1920s - and that will end with the same calamity if we do not wake up to the agenda of the Right Wing.

But if you ignore such systemic policies, sometimes people, both rich and poor, are not aware of the skewed system so they perceive transferes from rich to poor as welfare, which is a political time bomb. If on the other hand you revise the rules to prevent wealth from flowing from poor to rich in the first place, then you're letting the poor keep their money so the "welfare" rhetoric can't stich anymore 'cause we're no longer talking about taking from rich to give to poor, but rather leveling the playing field so the poor can keep their money.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Woah, Mentalfloss, getting a little emotional there are we? Everyone says things we don't mean now and then.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm not upset, just a bit irritated talking about nothing for the last three posts.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Woah, Mentalfloss, getting a little emotional there are we? Everyone says things we don't mean now and then.

Yep..............:lol::lol::lol: He seems to think because I'm not convinced he's an expert that I'm criticising him. In fact I don't know much at all about Brison except for two things, he switched parties and he doesn't belong to a party that's in power or likely to be any time soon. If I wanted to get a reliable feel on the economy I'd probably go to someone with a track record like Dianne Francis. :smile:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If you don't trust him because he's not Diane Francis (lol) then that does count as a criticism.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you don't trust him because he's not Diane Francis (lol) then that does count as a criticism.

NO- What are his credentials in Economics, show me a degree, or a couple of businesses similar to J.C.Penney or Walmart that he's built from the ground up.