beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
And NOR SHOULD THEY!!! These leftist radicals should not be taking my tax dollars to study the effects of the sun on water.. simly to burn through their budgets. Some of these "Science Projects" that are fully funded through the Federal Gov are simply laughable. I amd VERY happy that the Feds are trimming the wings of these wing-nuts. This policy change is great for Canadians, we dont need a 3Million dollar study to prove that.... Or lets make it a 2 year study at 10 million dollars. Good for Harper for cleaning this mess up.

And yes, I worked with the NRC and I can tell you how many millions of dollars we wasted simply to ensure the money was coming in the next year,

This is where you really show your true partisan colors and an ignorance of reality. It is not widely talked about by scientists, but in the US the largest federal funding for science usually comes from Republicans, and similar things happened in Canada when the Conservatives came to power: they pumped a lot more money into NSERC. Strangely, most scientists lean left when their most ardent supporters seem to come from the right--unless you are a climate scientist.

Which must be what is confusing you. The fact that the Conservatives attack science that conflicts with their politics. Don't be confused, the right funds science at least as much as the left. You want to stay ahead of the curve in this world today, you fund science as much as possible.

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
Im 100% all for Funding... In not 100% all for funding wasted just like the silly little experiments i cited above. a 1.5Million dollar study to show that obese young men are less likely to find a spouse than their slimmer counterparts??? No, Im not for waste.... No one should be... Just because they yell, scream and protest does NOT make them right. Thats just sheer stupidity... No million dollar study needed.

This is where you really show your true partisan colors and an ignorance of reality. It is not widely talked about by scientists, but in the US the largest federal funding for science usually comes from Republicans, and similar things happened in Canada when the Conservatives came to power: they pumped a lot more money into NSERC. Strangely, most scientists lean left when their most ardent supporters seem to come from the right--unless you are a climate scientist.

Which must be what is confusing you. The fact that the Conservatives attack science that conflicts with their politics. Don't be confused, the right funds science at least as much as the left. You want to stay ahead of the curve in this world today, you fund science as much as possible.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Its very clear, they simply can not be trusted now with any funding.. Till that changes... I say cut them off the teet.

H,mmm
When you can show that there's more harm done by funding them than there is by not funding them and more good done by not funding them than by funding them, I'll go along with you. But it seems as if you avoided reading what was in the link I provided.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If they're funded to research the effect of marigolds on earthworms and they research the effect of marigolds on earthworms, how are they breaching any trust? I suggest that folk in charge of the purse strings not dole out funds for questionable research.

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
I got to the bottom of this....

"The union representing tens of thousands of federal scientists says the Conservative government is unfairly silencing its members".

Ahh yes, there you have it.... the Union. You think this has ANYTHING to do with good or bad science? Your kidding yourself... Its about lining thier own pockets.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If they're funded to research the effect of marigolds on earthworms and they research the effect of marigolds on earthworms, how are they breaching any trust? I suggest that folk in charge of the purse strings not dole out funds for questionable research.

That's why I asked fletch to post links to the actual projects or papers. A researcher could get a grant to study longitudinal trends in obese people. As more people become obese, that will have consequences, and it's good to have some epidemiological data on what is happening with that sub-population. One finding from their data might have been lower marriage rates among obese men. It is what it is. It doesn't mean that a researcher was given $1.5 million to evaluate if obese men have a lower rate of marriage than non-obese men. In fact it is almost certainly not what the project proposal was aiming to investigate. It's just a finding.

Context matters. If fletch actually did work at NRC on writing reports and protocols, then they know that. Makes me wonder what might have happened...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Oh, those easterners love their make work projects.
Their profession is,,,asking for money!!!
I wonder if the eastern universities have a degree program on how to beg or ask for money from Governments??

Oh, those (particular) westerners like thinking their **** doesn't stink.

Guess what...it does!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I got to the bottom of this....

"The union representing tens of thousands of federal scientists says the Conservative government is unfairly silencing its members".

Ahh yes, there you have it.... the Union. You think this has ANYTHING to do with good or bad science? Your kidding yourself... Its about lining thier own pockets.
lmao So now you make a blanket attack against unions after you realize you aren't getting anywhere arguing against scientists. Hilarious.
Do you actually have any clue about scientist unions? Or are you just looking for something to throw goofy accusations at?

BTW, it is not just unions saying that gov't wants to hush up scientists.

That's why I asked fletch to post links to the actual projects or papers. A researcher could get a grant to study longitudinal trends in obese people. As more people become obese, that will have consequences, and it's good to have some epidemiological data on what is happening with that sub-population. One finding from their data might have been lower marriage rates among obese men. It is what it is. It doesn't mean that a researcher was given $1.5 million to evaluate if obese men have a lower rate of marriage than non-obese men. In fact it is almost certainly not what the project proposal was aiming to investigate. It's just a finding.

Context matters. If fletch actually did work at NRC on writing reports and protocols, then they know that. Makes me wonder what might have happened...
hehe Yeah, it kind of reminds me of Koko, the Expert on all Things Northern when he says all those researchers up north mostly stay in camp doing nothing but "playing" with their computers.

Drurry is not a westerner. He lives in the middle east. (AKA Oilberta)
lol Everything east of the Rockies is eastern. ;)

It's not about East and West. It's about small minded individuals who think geography, and geography alone, defines character.
But jogfree is fun. :D

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
lmao So now you make a blanket attack against unions after you realize you aren't getting anywhere arguing against scientists. Hilarious.
Do you actually have any clue about scientist unions? Or are you just looking for something to throw goofy accusations at?

BTW, it is not just unions saying that gov't wants to hush up scientists.

hehe Yeah, it kind of reminds me of Koko, the Expert on all Things Northern when he says all those researchers up north mostly stay in camp doing nothing but "playing" with their computers.

Gee you'd think people could just say anything on the internet eh? Lol.

lol Everything east of the Rockies is eastern. ;)
East/West...it's all subjective. If I got on a plane and flew due east of my location, barring some stops for refueling I'd eventually reach Alberta wouldn't I? Hmmm, who's the easterner now! LOL

But jogfree is fun. :D
Jogfree can be fun, lol. But confusing it with human psychology/behaviour makes about as much sense as the practice of phrenology. Which is to say none! lol.

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
Science is about facts not ideology, it shouldn't be limited and controlled for purely political purposes.

Unfortunately we've been saddled with a federal government that tries to politicize everything.

At it's heart science is a democratic practice, the "not by one voice" philosophy, which is probably why the control freaks feel so threatened by it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Science is about facts not ideology, it shouldn't be limited and controlled for purely political purposes.

You've just described the entire problem with UN/IPCC in their exploitation of selective science to further a political agenda

At it's heart science is a democratic practice, the "not by one voice" philosophy, which is probably why the control freaks feel so threatened by it.

The entire AGW movement has relied on the ideal that all dissenters are unduly vilified and renounced.... That's some democracy that you got there

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
You've just described the entire problem with UN/IPCC in their exploitation of selective science to further a political agenda

Based on what evidence

The entire AGW movement has relied on the ideal that all dissenters are unduly vilified and renounced.... That's some democracy that you got there

The entire AGW movement goes back almost 200 years and is built on solid science, most researchers are committed to doing their jobs.

On the other hand the denial campaign(which starts with a premise that AGW is wrong then tries to prove it) goes back to when industry in the 1980s realized there were serious negative consequences to responding to the science effectively. Solid science as opposed to economic interests, which is more objective do you think?

The AGW case starts with taking real world evidence and determining the most likely scenario that explains it, the denial side starts with the assumption that AGW is wrong and endervours to create as much doubt as possible. The former is much closer to the intent of the scientific method than the later.

There is uncertainty in AGW, there's uncertainty in all science. The only people who claim they're 100% certain about anything are in politics or religion and we all know how often they're right.