School suspends student for brandishing ...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Oh give it a ****ing rest.

The stupidity is in looking a vibrating pen, in the hands of a very young child no less, and calling it a weapon. You can make whatever excuse you want to for it, but it does speak directly to the intelligence of the system and the people who work within it.
Of course it is. But causing otherwise intelligent and sensible people into disciplining students for having a Motrin about them, or chewing a Pop-Tart into the shape of a pistol, or drawing a picture of a gun, for all love! is the mark of a systemic problem.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Of course it is. But causing otherwise intelligent and sensible people into disciplining students for having a Motrin about them, or chewing a Pop-Tart into the shape of a pistol, or drawing a picture of a gun, for all love! is the mark of a systemic problem.

It may be systemic, but I don't know about otherwise intelligent and sensible these people actually are. How intelligent and sensible can a person be when they are purposefully ignoring this? Just as an example I mean. How far do things go until we say "this far, no further"? They may well start off in an intelligent and sensible state but they are complicit in their own "dumbing down". They'd have to be in order to get to this point.

And to answer your earlier question, if I came upon something that was truly ridiculous I would not just go along. I really can be that stubborn. I may end up walking away from it all unemployed but I'd damn sure walk away with self-respect.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It may be systemic, but I don't know about otherwise intelligent and sensible these people actually are. How intelligent and sensible can a person be when they are purposefully ignoring this? Just as an example I mean. How far do things go until we say "this far, no further"? They may well start off in an intelligent and sensible state but they are complicit in their own "dumbing down". They'd have to be in order to get to this point.

And to answer your earlier question, if I came upon something that was truly ridiculous I would not just go along. I really can be that stubborn. I may end up walking away from it all unemployed but I'd damn sure walk away with self-respect.

I hear ya on that girl. I could never work for the govt simply because it requires you to act like you have no brain and do things that are so against common sense it ain't funny. I would most likely be fired in the first few days for thinking for myself anyway.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes, that's my whole point. In these days of shrinking budgets and teacher firings, they are fine incentives for teachers to "go along to get along." Having rent to pay will do that. It's kinda the whole basis of the coercive economy.

And a particularly prickly form thereof, my dear.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Just following orders eh? That's a cop out. It is the antithesis of sound rational judgement, it is, therefore, unsound and irrational or in other words stupid. Whether someone chooses to be stupid or simply just is stupid, end result is still the same.

It's the easy choice, it's not the smart one.
maybe and this particular situation (or at least the information which we have been fed in this particular situation) would have us believe that anyway.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yes, that's my whole point. In these days of shrinking budgets and teacher firings, they are fine incentives for teachers to "go along to get along." Having rent to pay will do that. It's kinda the whole basis of the coercive economy.

And a particularly prickly form thereof, my dear.

There were no 'teachers' involved here, my dear... just paper pushers and a part-time bus driver. Ya dig?