Saskatchewan Seems To Have Turned The Corner...

dirkdigler

Jan 17, 2009
Since this budget, there have been the following lay offs (mainly Saskatoon/area)
Mosaic 1,000 +
Potash 940
Agrium 400
Cameco < 100
Shore Gold < 100

As well, what Saskatchewan leads in, Consumer spending, is no where near where their wage growth is!

13 % more spending
4% more wages - and oh yeah, inflation was 3.5% - some "boom"

Moderator's Edit: Link removed. Your post should show up now, Dirk.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirkdigler

Jan 17, 2009

hurts a little that i can't point out that maybe consumer spending 3 times+ wage growth may mean Saskatchewan's economy isn't quite as solid as we think. I think a fair comment.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Saskatchewan a jobs 'hot spot' in Canada - CNN.com

Saskatchewan a jobs 'hot spot' in Canada

(CNN) -- Normally, "hot spot" isn't the first phrase that comes to mind when talking
about Saskatchewan, Canada.

But with most of Canada suffering from devastating job losses, this cold province is
becoming exactly that.

It's an asterisk to the entire country when it comes to the economic climate, and
Premier Brad Wall is shouting it as loud as he can.

"It's a great time to come to Saskatchewan," said Wall, who even called the
Toronto Star newspaper to tout his province's economic success and let Ontarians
know there were jobs for the taking.

"For those who are losing their jobs, we need them to know we have thousands of
jobs open right now in both the private and public sector," Wall said. "We have a
powerful story to tell, a story of success and that's something we want to share
with those who are struggling."

Wall's province is one of the exceptions to the unemployment increases battering
provinces across Canada. Saskatchewan's unemployment rate fell to 4.1 percent in
January from 4.2 percent in December, making it the only province recording a
decline. In Ontario and the city of Toronto, unemployment rates rose to 7.2
percent and 8.5 percent respectively. To the west, British Columbia shed 68,000
full-time jobs in January.

More Saskatchewan jobs should be on the way. To stave off any possible recession,
Wall announced a $500 million infrastructure "booster shot" to help keep the
economy strong.

"All across the country, industries are getting quite ill," Wall said. "We aren't
immune to it. We see some impacts in terms of layoffs and new vehicle purchases
slowing off, and so we want to be proactive in staying ahead of the curve."

On Tuesday, the Conference Board of Canada released a report that said
Saskatchewan will likely continue to lead the nation in economic growth in 2009
because of the infrastructure investment and tax reductions.

The province has also been reaping the benefits of an influx from nearby Alberta.
When the government in Alberta decided to raise the oil royalty rates, oil
exploration and expedition companies decided to move their operations to
Saskatchewan in hopes of making more money.

With the province's growing opportunities, David Montgomery, president of
Calgary's Qwest Haven Relocation Services, said he is moving more people to
Saskatchewan each day.

"Alberta has always been the gravy train of oil," said Montgomery, who is also a
former resident of Regina, the capitol and second-largest city in Saskatchewan.
"But with the new royalties, oil companies are saying 'Why stay here and make less
when the opportunities right next door are even better?' Many other companies
may start to follow suit."

Montgomery said people looking to move have said that cheaper land and insurance
prices are among the other reasons they are headed to Saskatchewan.

"There, government insurance is cheaper than anywhere else in the country and it
comes with your license plates," he said. "With the amount of jobs, cheaper
opportunities and great way of life, the government there has made it very
attractive to move there."

That means more business for Wall's province and more jobs coming to the area.

Not that there's a shortage of jobs. On Tuesday night there were nearly 6,000
private- and public-sector jobs on the Web site Saskjobs.com.

A constant stream of revenue from oil production and exports also buoys the
economy in the province.

Saskatchewan is the largest producer of oil in Canada and exports more oil to the
United States than Kuwait. It is the leader in uranium production and produces a
third of the world's potash.

The province continues to keep ahead of the curve, Wall said, finding ways to
diversify its resources and embark on ambitious green projects and new oil
projects. The province is working with Montana on a $212 million climate change
initiative that would create the first major greenhouse gas storage project in
North America. The carbon dioxide from coal-fueled power plants would be stored
in the ground in Montana and later be withdrawn for use in oil production.

Wall also said what may be the largest discovery of sweet, light crude oil in the
southeast part of the province means it could have even more oil to work with.
The Bakken Formation could potentially have 413 billion barrels of oil, according to
the U.S. Geological Survey. That would be another huge untapped revenue gold
mine.

Despite the growth of nearly all sectors across the board, Wall cautioned that it is
possible his province may see economic stress, just later in the game than other
places.

"We need to be circumspect and prudent about promoting our province," he said.
"We are not immune; we do see the impacts. It isn't some sort of panacea or
answer to economic questions that don't exist elsewhere. We are a bit of an
asterisk that says there is some stress, but it's relatively calm here."

Wall encouraged people not to count out a move to the province based on
stereotypes that it is "only winter here," and "all of the land is just rolling hills."

"'It's a beautiful, big place where life is great and right now there's also
opportunity," he said. "I'm very, very biased, but I can't imagine a place I'd rather
be, especially with what's going on economically around the world."

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Saskatchewan Is The Largest Mineral Producer

It's a nearly $10 billion dollar industry
Reported By Justin Blackwell Posted March 7, 2009 - 2:09pm
Source: Saskatchewan Is The Largest Mineral Producer | News Talk 650

Saskatchewan is now king when it comes to mining for minerals -- and there's
room to grow.

We learned Friday that our province is now the largest mineral producer in all of
Canada...out-producing Ontario for the first time ever.

Saskatchewan now accounts for 21 and a half per cent of the countries mineral
production -- making it a nearly ten billion dollar industry.

Pamela Schwann with the province's Mining Association insists there's room to
expand the 10-billion dollar industry as well.

"The Potash companies have already announced over $7 billion dollars in expansions
to the existing operations, and we've seen commitment of several billion dollars in
the ground already. The uranium industry has announced investments of $2 billion
dollars in their facilities."

She notes that Ontario and Quebec have been the mining strongholds for
decades...and Saskatchewan's performance in 2008 underscores the shift our
economy has undergone in recent years.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We learned Friday that our province is now the largest mineral producer in all of
Canada...out-producing Ontario for the first time ever.

Saskatchewan now accounts for 21 and a half per cent of the countries mineral
production -- making it a nearly ten billion dollar industry.
This is the part where I pat myself on the back.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Was a fun week again this year.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
My biggest concern with Saskatistan is that just when things start going good, they'll re-elect the NDP. My wife's family is from there and I will consider moving there once the kids are grown if I can be confident the NDP won't be coming back.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you cross your fingers Cannuck, I'll cross mine. Lots of good
things have happened out here lately that coincide with the change
in government, and the NDP supporters claim it's all due to the things
that the NDP put in motion. I believe much of the good comes from
business and investment moving in knowing the NDP was out for
a while at least.

The Sask. Party has P.O.'d the unions (big out here) with essential
service legislation, and that's their only real black-mark so far, and it
is actually very popular with most of the non-union employees out here
after the snow-plow operators strike (commencing at the announcement
of a blizzard) a couple of years back.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Or you can look at it this way Ron. We are being passed over by the crisis because of the strong public ownership in the provincial resource sector. The increase in resource develope was kick startd by having the public cash to do it. It never was a party policy that made the changes just high demand for the products we have. It takes about 8 years from discovery to extraction when it comes to minerals so this all came long before the SK party or an NDP policy to invest more public money. It was and still is al based on market demands and oz to tonne extraction cost ratios.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Now in all fairness, the success of saskatchewan is related to diversified natural wealth, a spike in oil prices and ensuring that money was invested elsewhere (foresight that oil would come back down).

Now some of that is no doubt the domain of the party in power, and some it may or may not be the effect of the last government (or more likely whomever was in a generation ago that set things in motion)

But alot of it is regardless of the government. Its private individuals and the natural worlds wealth. You could have elected a turnip and the people of Saskatchewan would be well off, largely in part do to the people of Saskatchewan.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now in all fairness, the success of saskatchewan is related to diversified natural wealth, a spike in oil prices and ensuring that money was invested elsewhere (foresight that oil would come back down).
Noooo not oil at all. Potash and uranium .........and the price of gold sure helps.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Ron, our company just landed some work with Agrium Vanscoy. I'll be there with a team next month to walk the site. They're upgrading the HVAC system at one of their compaction plants. Glad we're spreading our wings outside the oil patch.

Lou Garu

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2009
Here
I was in Regina three years ago, looking at housing with a friend.At the time, a concern was the water table having dropped so low that the outliers had to do water rationing (lawn watering, laundry done ever other day ,that sort of thing ) Has the aquifer improved/degraded? (or my memory (improved/degraded ?)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I was in Regina three years ago, looking at housing with a friend.At the time, a concern was the water table having dropped so low that the outliers had to do water rationing (lawn watering, laundry done ever other day ,that sort of thing ) Has the aquifer improved/degraded? (or my memory (improved/degraded ?)
I live in BC and we are always only allowed watering every second day during certain months of the year. Outside watering of course. It is enforced as they have city trucks driving around. Even numbered houses water on even days of the week and vice versa. It's not hard for them to check with that system. We are not allowed to water between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM on our watering days either. I've lived in the Okanagan and now live on Vanc. Is. and restrictions are exactly the same.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

That happens for 2-3 weeks in the summer about every 3-4 years. Never been a
big issue, and that's been happening since long before I was born...& that was a
while back now. ;-) :lol::lol::lol:

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Or you can look at it this way Ron. We are being passed over by the crisis because of the strong public ownership in the provincial resource sector. The increase in resource develope was kick startd by having the public cash to do it. It never was a party policy that made the changes just high demand for the products we have. It takes about 8 years from discovery to extraction when it comes to minerals so this all came long before the SK party or an NDP policy to invest more public money. It was and still is al based on market demands and oz to tonne extraction cost ratios.

I disagree.
Neither the O&G, potash or mineral resource development has anything to do with funding from the private sector.
All developmental and production funding comes, as far as I know, from the private sector.

The only thing the government did was get out of the way of development.
Restrictive and unhelpful government departments that swamp the private sector in regulations and paperwork are a bottom line cost.
The main reason for Saskatchewan's development today is a reasonable and well planned tax and regulatory structure.
If you could be so kind as to name a public sector Oil and Gas company or Potash development company operating in Saskatchewan it would be helpful.
Saskatchewan's resource development was hindered and constrained for decades by political interests that were not interested in resource development.

As soon as the attitudes began to change in Government investment and development funds from the private sector began to flow into the Province.
Trex

Lou Garu

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2009
Here
I live in BC and we are always only allowed watering every second day during certain months of the year. Outside watering of course. It is enforced as they have city trucks driving around. Even numbered houses water on even days of the week and vice versa. It's not hard for them to check with that system. We are not allowed to water between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM on our watering days either. I've lived in the Okanagan and now live on Vanc. Is. and restrictions are exactly the same.

Tnx Vanisle, I don't remember that from 15 or 20 years ago ( but hey , that WAS a while ago) ;-/