Saskatchewan Population Decline

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Saskatchewan Populati

Me too, Papachongo. We also have summers that you can actually do something in. The repressive humidity in Ontario makes a lot of activities difficult and when you toss in the smog, they become all but impossible.

Papachongo

Nominee Member
Dec 6, 2005
nootaksas
The other summer I was in Toronto. Man it was boiling out and the humidity was like being stuck in a sauna. To top it off I think the smog was making lewd faces at me.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
heh heh heh.....

of course it always comes down to "personal preferences", rev.

I love rain. Bring on the humidity baby! (well, to some extent anyway. i have never experienced the so-called 100% humidity ON can get) Now for some reason, northern dry climates make me sick (physically sick, as in headaches, sinus problems, etc) which nobody can provide an answer for given i do quite well down in Nevavda, Utah, and Arizona. As for the cold, again i do far better in a damp cold than a dry cold (the old, "but it is a dry cold" is false for me because -20 damp i do fine, -20 dry i suffer).

No i quite prefer the idea that when the sun is shining that it is hot, not freezing! That is just me though. I don't know what the flats are like for temp swings, but the hot-cold-hot crap of the canmore area is most unpleasant in my opinion.

Now in talking to various people about terrain i find again it is a matter of preference. I do not like too much sky. It just freaks me out being in "big sky country". I just feel comfortable in big trees, moutains, valleys, etc.

Cheers!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

But most of Saskatchewan isn't a flat place, Caracal. That's the impression that people who drive the TransCanada get because it takes the easiest, most boring route through where ever it goes. If you follow it, you miss the province and you never get to meet the people. You eat in multi-national chain restaurants, fill up at multi-national gas stations, meet mostly other travellers.

If you go and see the province, there's a lot more to it. Small town museums all over the place, historic sights, hills, lakes, boreal forest, the badlands, small-town bars and restaurants. It's a whole other world than what gets presented to the rest of the country and bears little resemblance to what you see along the Trans Canada highway.

Give it a shot the next vacation you take. Spend a couple of weeks exploring Saskatchewan from south to north and east to west. It is nothing like it's reputation, just like most of BC isn't the cloudy, rainy trap of depression and rudeness that visitors to Vancouver get the impression it is.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
well maybe i will take a look. part of the issue of flatness is perspective though. i have been crapped on for calling calgary flat as well, but it is to me (i see everything east of the kananaskis exit off #1 as flat, and it is also getting pretty darn flat getting to that exit)

i think the sad thing about my perspective of the praries, and probably many people, is my canadian history courses in highschool that present the things like "soddies". Imagry of a place where the people made houses of mud and grass has a lasting impression! (don't get me started on the droughts, depressions, death winters, etc). I understand what you are talking about though. When i went to school in Ontario so many people i met thought van was a backwards hippie town where nobody works.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
The way I look at it, is that there is really nothing Saskatchewan has that Alberta doesn't have. Then you have to remember that we have the Rocky Mountains, the better resorts, larger & more diverse population, no PST :p , tons of hick towns with the best parties :headbang: , best economy/no debt, and oh yea we got the mildest prarie winters.

The only thing Alberta lacks is MORE LAKES :wink:

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
roy,

do you work for Sunshine Village? tee hee!
anyway, the best snow falls on the west side of the rockies, which is why Revelstoke is such a big backcountry mecca (powery yet coastal pack stability).

larger population than who? more diverse than who?

true you have no debt, and you should not given the oil windfall you are sitting on.

i don't know anything about hick parties to compare.

the lack of lakes has not stopped albertians from digging holes and filling them with water all over the place! i much prefer that use of water to pumping down oil wells.

mild winters is a matter of perspective. i remember a joke from way back that goes: a calgarian went to toronto on business one september. in an effort to make smalltalk the torontonian told the calgarian of his wonderful summer and asked the calgarian what his summer was like. the calgarian replied "it was a wonderful afternoon."

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Generally, there are two main factors that decide a population increase or decline. A better job and/or a better way of life.

In my state of Oklahoma, we have both the convenience of a enjoying nice conservative lifestyle, suited to raise a family and a low unemployment rate. As a result, we experienced a net increase of 25000 residents between July 2004 and July 2005.

Oklahoma Gains 25-Thousand Citizens

NewsChannel8:

Oklahoma Gains 25-Thousand Citizens
Friday December 23, 2005 3:35pm

Tulsa (AP) - Oklahoma is growing in population as residents look for work and a simpler life.

The U-S Census Bureau says the state added nearly 25-thousand residents between July 2004 and July 2005 to bring total population to more than three-and-a-half (m) million.

Kathleen Miller with the state Department of Commerce says people are growing tired of the inconveniences of living in large cities and are looking for a more spacious and rural lifestyle.

Miller says she's spoken with residents and it's hard to tell whether they are coming to Oklahoma for a better job or a better way of life.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
larger population than who? more diverse than who?

i'm talking about the other prarie provinces of Sask and Manitoba, not BC.

i don't know anything about hick parties to compare.

you don't know what your missing.....last time I was at a small town bush party, I accidentally drove over a case of beer belonging to some fag with a mullet. Everyone just laughed at him and he was forced to walk into town to buy another case. ( i didn't give him a ride cause he smelled like a barn) :lol:

hick chicks are always impressed if you got a car, even if its a piece of junk :wink:

the lack of lakes has not stopped albertians from digging holes and filling them with water all over the place! i much prefer that use of water to pumping down oil wells.

yea, they got a nice man-made lake in Saskatchewan called lake Diefenbaker.... I have good memories of boating out there.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
In my state of Oklahoma, we have both the convenience of a enjoying nice conservative lifestyle, suited to raise a family and a low unemployment rate. As a result, we experienced a net increase of 25000 residents between July 2004 and July 2005.

25000 pffffffttt........Alberta added close to 70 000 during that same time period :wink:

but seriously I would not of thought that Oklahoma was a growing state. Whats your population currently, NascarJames? If i had to guess without looking it up I would have to guess around 2million?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Re: RE: Saskatchewan Population Decline

Papachongo said:
I find it odd to complain about the cold weather. I would pick a cool breeze any day over living in smog. Of course I'm biased, I like to breath.

I have nice weather and don't get smog either. It's the perfect combo :)

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Roy said:

25000 pffffffttt........Alberta added close to 70 000 during that same time period :wink:

but seriously I would not of thought that Oklahoma was a growing state. Whats your population currently, NascarJames? If i had to guess without looking it up I would have to guess around 2million?

Over three-and-a-half million, Roy. Yep, we are a growing state. The conservative social climate and the laid back easy going lifestyle combined with many employment opportunities makes Oklahoma an attractive state for many North Americans.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
here is the population changes for the US: 1990-2000, for comparison.

edit:
to compare, here is the population changes for canada from 1996-2001.
http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps/peopleandsociety/population/population2001/change2001

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
the caracal kid said:
here is the population changes for the US: 1990-2000, for comparison.

edit:
to compare, here is the population changes for canada from 1996-2001.
http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps/peopleandsociety/population/population2001/change2001

A 66.3% increase in population in the state of Nevada from 1990-2000. I guess this city of bright lights has a lot to offer. The gaming industry is no doubt the big player that is attracting all these folks to move there.

meta4r

Feb 17, 2006
The conservative social climate and the laid back easy going lifestyle combined with many employment opportunities makes Oklahoma an attractive state for many North Americans.

By North Americans I assume you mean primarily illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central America. I can't imagine many Americans moving to a state with higher than the national average rate of poverty. 24% of Oklahoma children 18 or under in poverty (as reported at statehealthfacts.org using 2003-2004 data). I wonder if the "conservative social climate" has anything to do with those missing apples.

Prairie_Ally

Mar 29, 2006
Saskatchewan
In Saskatchewan, there are not any jobs being created in rural Saskatchewan. This is because the NDP government is focussed primarily on the cities because that is where they get their votes from. There's a major rural-urban split in voters here. Rural Saskatchewan votes for the Sask Party and the cities vote for the NDP (which in Saskatchewan is pretty much a right-wing party, it's nothing like what the CCF was).

Rural Saskatchewaners will not get jobs in cities because they don't want to live in a city. They want to continue living the rural way of life. A huge percentage of Saskatchewan farmers go to Northern BC and ALberta to work in either oil, gas or logging during the winters so that they can afford to continue to farm.

Prairie_Ally

Mar 29, 2006
Saskatchewan

Most of those 25.000 were probably from Saskatchewan.

What most people don't realize is that Saskatchewan and Alberta pretty much have the same resources (oil, gas, lumber, minerals etc.) and once upon a time Saskatchewan was even doing better than Alberta. However, things changed when Saskatchewan's government got too greedy (and as many said before, ended up going to jail for it). The government ruined things for us and we have been left with an urban-focussed NDP government (now a right-wing party, nothing like what the CCF Party used to be). The "new" NDP gave a lot of control of our resources to the federal government (remember the energy fight of the late 70s?). Alberta, on the other hand, had a strong government who stood for Alberta first and foremost. King Ralph is hugely respected in Saskatchewan. Saskatchewaners relocate to Alberta in droves because of the good government. Alberta is truly thought of as a "land of oppourtunity". I am 22 and everyone my age heads to Alberta. I know very few people who stay in Saskatchewan. It is not because they don't love Saskatchewan, because they do, but because they (and I) know that there is no future there for us right now. Our parents, though they wanted us to stay, pushed us to go west. Things need to change. I myself am not living there right now (I am living in the dreary city of Winnipeg going to school and will probably go to Alberta when I graduate). I love the rural way of life and will never be happy living in a city. Alberta is a place where I can still do that.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Alberta is a place where I can still do that."

Ontario too!