www.getafteritmedia.com

Interesting article..

Hi, I’m Saddam Hussein. Miss me yet? | On the North River

Saddam vs ISIS

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I haven't given it much thought. It doesn't change the fact that I don't miss Saddam Hussein and that he deserved what he got.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If I were an Iraqi I might miss him. I'm not, so I don't. They lose either way. This isn't exactly a new idea either. Ive been seeing articles every now and then about this for 6-7 years. After a few years of the unexpected insurgency people started wondering. Its been slowly going downhill since then. Would have been interesting if Saddam had still been in power when the Arab spring happened. I wonder if he would have been overthrown then - or maybe it wouldn't have happened at all.

The whole world does. Can't say the same for the Bush regime.

Never cared for Bush, but I cared for him more than I do hyperbole.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Miss him yet?

If you live in Iraq the answer would be yes.

Bush,Cheney,Powell and friends were lying about Saddam, re 9/11.

As the author of that article points out...............

I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. Get rid of a bloodstained dictator, knock down the Ba’ath Party and rid the police and army of the loyalists to each. In short, level the political, security and bureaucracy and wait for democracy to grow.

In the meantime, Saddam held what could be called a key position in the stability of the entire Middle East. He maintained pressure against Iran, doubly so towards Revolutionary Iran. The American Guns for Hostages deal in the eighties came about because the Iranians were hard pressed by Saddam’s Iraq. Likewise, contrary to some reports, Saddam knew better than to allow Al-Qaeda to operate in his country. He never gave them more than token support.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
It's a good bet that the vast majority of those forced into exile after having been sheltered by Saddam for all those years sure as heck miss him. And that ain't no hyperbole.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Nostalgia for Iraq’s Saddam Hussein flowers on social media

Nostalgia for Saddam is hardly new, but it appears to be reaching fever pitch these days because Iraq is in such bad shape, with vast territories lost to the Islamic State’s sadistic caliphate, the army in such shambles that Iranian-backed militias are filling the void and Americans once again bombing on behalf of a Shiite-led government whose sectarian policies are regarded as chief drivers of the Islamic State’s appeal.

The yearning for a more orderly time, coupled with social media tools that weren’t around a decade ago, has led to a burst of pro-Saddam memes, flowery apologies on Facebook for doubting his tactics, endless Twitter wars over his legacy and several fan-created Tumblrs, including one that features a suave-looking Saddam smoking a cigar with a text bubble that asks, “Miss me?”

In a scathing essay this month in which he compared the Islamic State to Hitler’s Third Reich, the Nobel Prize-winning author V.S. Naipaul called Saddam “the cat that kept the rats of Islamism at bay.”

more

WASHINGTON: Nostalgia for Iraq’s Saddam Hussein flowers on social media | Iraq | McClatchy DC

Read more here: WASHINGTON: Nostalgia for Iraq’s Saddam Hussein flowers on social media | Iraq | McClatchy DC
“He may not have been a savory character,” Naipaul wrote, “but his overarching policies were holding on to power and modernizing Iraq.”

Even harsh critics of Saddam’s reign acknowledge that, in a turbulent region, he brought a measure of stability and security – that is, when he wasn’t waging war on neighboring Iran and Kuwait. Laws under Saddam guaranteed greater rights for women than in most Middle Eastern countries; rolling back women’s rights was among the first steps taken when conservative Shiites took power.

“I wouldn’t refute for a minute the good that he did, in terms of infrastructure. Generally, in terms of gender equality, not bad,” said Hasan Hafidh, whose Shiite merchant family went into exile after Saddam’s forces loaded them onto a pickup and dumped them at the Iranian border in 1978. “But in the grander picture, he was just – what can I say? – an autocrat who committed mass atrocities. That really overshadows any good that he did.”

“He may not have been a savory character,” Naipaul wrote, “but his overarching policies were holding on to power and modernizing Iraq.”

Even harsh critics of Saddam’s reign acknowledge that, in a turbulent region, he brought a measure of stability and security – that is, when he wasn’t waging war on neighboring Iran and Kuwait. Laws under Saddam guaranteed greater rights for women than in most Middle Eastern countries; rolling back women’s rights was among the first steps taken when conservative Shiites took power.

“I wouldn’t refute for a minute the good that he did, in terms of infrastructure. Generally, in terms of gender equality, not bad,” said Hasan Hafidh, whose Shiite merchant family went into exile after Saddam’s forces loaded them onto a pickup and dumped them at the Iranian border in 1978. “But in the grander picture, he was just – what can I say? – an autocrat who committed mass atrocities. That really overshadows any good that he did.”

Mahan

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2015
Islamic Republic of Iran
the greatest Dictator in the world , murderer of Kurds and 1000000 iranian , we can't forget his massacre in Halabche and Houveize by Chemical Weapons . without any doubt ISIS follow him and Ba-sis (followers of saddam's party ) helped ISIS in Tikrit and Mousel . ( Tikrit is saddam birthplace)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
the greatest Dictator in the world , murderer of Kurds and 1000000 iranian , we can't forget his massacre in Halabche and Houveize by Chemical Weapons . without any doubt ISIS follow him and Ba-sis (followers of saddam's party ) helped ISIS in Tikrit and Mousel . ( Tikrit is saddam birthplace)

He's far from the greatest Dictator the world has seen but he was the best that the Americans could find at the time........