Ruby Dhalla

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
OK I'm a little confused here. Colpy, you're calling her a cabinet minister but isn't she a Liberal MP thus in opposition, or was she in Martin's cabinet?

Secondly Machjo, I take your points about her actions not being reflections on her party and unknown to the members of her party, etc but you know how it works in our system: if one is accused, all are guilty. It was the Liberal tactic on the reform for over a decade, tied in with the infamous "they have a hidden agenda" spiel. The NDP, Bloc and Conservatives do it too (is there a federal Liberal they didn't try to connect to Adscam?) so its definately not a one way street.

As for her innocence or guilt, yes we're innocent until proven guilty but at the same time she did resign her post within the Liberal caucus and Ignatieff accepted it. Innocent people don't usually resign that easily... again its not a definate thing but a possible indicator that something isn't right.

In the end its disappointing in a way: our political system is rife with apathy and disinterest from all over but especially from young people, and when we do have a role model to possibly generate some interest (young, female, visible minority so a possible role model with appeal in multiple realms), this happens.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sorry Wulfie, you are right.

Shadow cabinet, I meant.........Multiculturism critic.....sounds like a job for me!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Just a few points:

1. If I commit a crime, you can't blame whatever religious, ethnic or cultural community, or even political party I may belong to.

Unless you are Conservative

2. Whether I'm the local plumber or the local MP, I'm still to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, and treated in compliance with the laws like anyone else.

And no, I would not be saying anything different if it was a a Conservative MP, and would be just as appalled at the politicization of the issue if it were the Liberals trying to smear the reputation of the Conservative Partythrough parallel allegations as I'm appalled at some Conservative MP's exploiting these allegations for their own personal unscrupulous gain.

You're joking right? Do you honestly believe SJP wouldn't have posted something if this was Day or Levant? Where is SJP on this one?

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
the irony of the situation is sweet...

All's I have to say is if anyone thinks this woman was/is the ONLY well-to-do person taking advantage of people in this manner, they are probably wrong.

Also funny is how it destroys the classical BS platitude concerning hard work being the key to success. I have worked real hard in the past and success was not part of the payoff, and I would imagine there's a lot of folks who have put the lie to that "equation" empirically

aman12

Feb 22, 2009
Hay River,NT
It is normal for an elected official to resign as a cabinet minister or opposition critic if they are perceived to be involved in a situation, particularly if it involves their department. It does not imply any guilt on Dhalla's part.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm interested in what the facts show.
However, I would not be surprised to find that it is true. And not because she's a Liberal, or immigrant, or woman, but because this kind of thing is not uncommon. I know of other politicians who have had nannies who had odd tales to tell.
Also, in the US, it's not uncommon for political appointees to be found to have employed illegal aliens, or not filed income taxes, or to not properly handled SS for domestic servants, etc etc, and this seems to be omnipresent in all parties.

My gut tells me she's guilty as hell, but I'm always willing t wait for the facts.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
the irony of the situation is sweet...

All's I have to say is if anyone thinks this woman was/is the ONLY well-to-do person taking advantage of people in this manner, they are probably wrong.

Also funny is how it destroys the classical BS platitude concerning hard work being the key to success. I have worked real hard in the past and success was not part of the payoff, and I would imagine there's a lot of folks who have put the lie to that "equation" empirically

You are right it isn't the party it is the person. She only mirrors the ethics of the political class in the west. She is typicle not the exception it is what you will find in every westernized institution on the planet, baseness and despicability, greed and evil these are the qualitys in every office in the land, a plaque of psycopaths.

"Hard work" (labour) is definately the key to success and when you can arrange others to perform it in chains rain or shine sixteen hours a day chained to a machine you will be rewarded with high office and your council will prevail in the ivory towers. Hard work is its own reward. That is no lie. But there are liars and thieves aplenty.
William Shakespen :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Sorry Wulfie, you are right.

Shadow cabinet, I meant.........Multiculturism critic.....sounds like a job for me!

Many uniculturalists aspire to those positions with intensions to impose culture in the manner of a viral infection. You pointed at the party first deflecting any attack on the class, she's been entitled by the class, the party is a conduit. Of course the person could be innocent, this is afterall American politics we should expect furrrther revelations.:smile:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Secondly Machjo, I take your points about her actions not being reflections on her party and unknown to the members of her party, etc but you know how it works in our system: if one is accused, all are guilty. It was the Liberal tactic on the reform for over a decade, tied in with the infamous "they have a hidden agenda" spiel. The NDP, Bloc and Conservatives do it too (is there a federal Liberal they didn't try to connect to Adscam?) so its definately not a one way street.

So because Jimmy smokes, Johnny should too? How about setting an example?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

You're joking right? Do you honestly believe SJP wouldn't have posted something if this was Day or Levant? Where is SJP on this one?

I agree. It's just a shame that one side decided to stoop to the level of the other rather than taking the moral high ground. That does not attract my vote at all. Right now, I'm leaning ever more towards independent candidates so that they can stay outr of the Party circus.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Another point, Dhalla could not have become an MP without the vote of her constituents. The Liberals are not at fault for that either.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
At least she has requested this to be investigated, and has (so far) cooperated. She has also shown some remorse (for at least being caught) by resigning her position. If found guilty, they should throw the book at her, she should resign her seat, and face prison time.

This is at least a proper step in the right direction, as opposed to stonewalling parliamentary committees, and instructing people to disobey warrants to appear (ala In and Out allegations), or attacking a person's character, or saying that becuase it's a private affair it shouldn't matter (ala Bernier leaving sensitive,top secret defense files at his girlfriend's)...but of course, no party would do that, and then accuse another party of "covering up" an incident...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
While the story does seem credible enough, hearing one of the nannies speak on the news yesterday made me laugh. The words they were using, things like 'mental anguish', 'emotional injury', sounded so... handled... that it kind of made me wonder if this was less about the truth and justice, and more about a lawyer who is handling the nannies brilliantly. It made me kind of doubt which side I really believe.

Hopefully the truth comes out in the wash. Slavery is below our society.

Amatullaah

Dec 12, 2007
Slavery is below our society.

Interesting that you should say that. Here is a comment on the subject to the editor at TheTorontoStar:

LETTER TO THE EDITOR
TheStar.com | Opinion | Ignoring illegal work practices

Ignoring illegal work practices

May 08, 2009 04:30 AM

Re: Ruby loses critic job as nanny storm grows, May 7

While many Canadians may be surprised at the slowness of the provincial ministers of education and labour to act on allegations of illegal employment practices, recent or long-term immigrants to Canada may be less surprised.

I moved to Canada as a permanent resident last July with my Canadian wife and daughter. Late last year, I had an interview for a job at a school in the GTA. The principal informed me that the job was mine, provided I agreed to work for free for a trial period. On phoning the departments of labour and education, both confirmed that the practice was illegal. However, neither was interested in pursuing the matter or would even commit to warning the principal about his work practices.
It seems that as long as it's written in law, people feel better and nothing need actually be done.

Donal O'Reardon, Toronto

Source

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Interesting that you should say that. Here is a comment on the subject to the editor at TheTorontoStar:

Oh I believe it. There's a reason this story seems so plausible, and that's because we all know it happens in various ways throughout our country. If it wasn't happening, we'd likely be very incredulous about their story.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Oh I believe it. There's a reason this story seems so plausible, and that's because we all know it happens in various ways throughout our country. If it wasn't happening, we'd likely be very incredulous about their story.
I didn't know it was happening and I am bowled over by it. I wish I had known because I would have tried to make it an election issue in this province. Elections here are in just 4 days so there is not enough time to even try to raise the issue.
I read an article in yesterday's Vancouver Province Paper where Dhalla says she has resigned her position in order to clear her family's name.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Even the Government is using the "Hidden job market " to find slave drone/temp workers..People deserve good paying ,long term,secure employment..

Green/clean tech jobs are needed...

Time to stop the abuse..Government employment Programs don't work ..Government money traps

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not sure about other provinces, but BC has an outfit called the "Labor Relations Board" They have teeth and don't like nasty employers.

labor relations boards are hit and miss. First of all, they're government. Second of all, they're people.