Ron Paul announces he's running for president

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I guess we could think of a libertarian candidate as a kind of default vote. He won't do much good for the country, but not much bad either. This makes him a neutral choice among bad options.

Bad options?

Compared to the most uniquely unqualified fraud ever elected to be President - you know, OBAMA - any and all Republican, declared or undeclared, would be an improvement.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ron Paul would end FEMA...and he calls Americans who are victims of disaster "dumb". There aren't many places on this planet immune from natural disaster...Ron Paul lives in a state being destroyed by wild fires.

Not Presidential material.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Bad options?

Compared to the most uniquely unqualified fraud ever elected to be President - you know, OBAMA - any and all Republican, declared or undeclared, would be an improvement.

All the republician presidents I can think of in my lifetime were either corrupt or incompetent or mostly both.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ending FEMA is not a good thing for the people whose towns were destroyed by tornadoes, for people who lost their homes to wild fires, to people who lost it all in floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, droughts, or for local authorities who don't have the resources to cope contemporaneously with disasters.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Again, I agree that Ron Paul is way too libertarian for my taste. At teh same time though, at least he'd not blow all the country's money on the military like the Democrats and the Republicans do. Yeah, I know, Ron Paul is a republican. But he's a bit of an exception.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think the reason some Republicans are now turning to Ron Paul for 2012 is not that they like his ideas so much, but rather because they know most Republicans would have a tough time winning against Obama, whereas Ron Paul, proven to be able to gain support from both Republican frindges as well as many Democrats (I wouldn't be surprised if he has more Democrat supprters than Republican), would pose a serious threat to Obamas voting base.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Ron Paul is NOT a Republican, he is a Libertarian (that's like a Conservative's ultra rightest Conservative). He has about as much chance of getting the Republican nomination as Barrack Obama has.

His BIG danger is if he decides to make a 3rd party run. If he does, he guarantees the Democrats will win.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
When will old men, of any political persuation ever realize that they have no chance? Can they not see previous old losers like George H.W. Bush? Bob Dole? John McCain?

And before Democrats get too complacent, how about Jimmy Carter, the absolute ultimate loser in or out of presidential race?

Paul and Gingrich might as well jump in a well. Head first.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Ron Paul is NOT a Republican, he is a Libertarian (that's like a Conservative's ultra rightest Conservative). He has about as much chance of getting the Republican nomination as Barrack Obama has.

His BIG danger is if he decides to make a 3rd party run. If he does, he guarantees the Democrats will win.

I hate to be a grammar Nazi here, but let's make a distinction between proper nouns and common nouns. Ron Paul is a Republican (i.e. a card-carrying member of the Republican Party, as is indicated by the upper-case 'R'). He's also a republican (i.e. a believer in a republican form of government with a president at its head) (notice the lower-case 'r'). He's not a Libertarian (i.e. a member of the Libertarian Party), though he is a libertarian (one who believes in libertarian principles).

Now that we've clarified that, you can see that he is a Republican.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I hate to be a grammar Nazi here, but let's make a distinction between proper nouns and common nouns. Ron Paul is a Republican (i.e. a card-carrying member of the Republican Party, as is indicated by the upper-case 'R'). He's also a republican (i.e. a believer in a republican form of government with a president at its head) (notice the lower-case 'r'). He's not a Libertarian (i.e. a member of the Libertarian Party), though he is a libertarian (one who believes in libertarian principles).

Now that we've clarified that, you can see that he is a Republican.

But he is an OLD man, with a son in the Senate, while in all these years he never got anything better than a seat in the House (controlling the MONEY, mind you). With the proviso that old men have wisdom that young punks of any racial mixture could only dream about.

Ron Paul for President? Just about as ridiculous as Barrack 0bama was four years ago.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I have been watching a lot of Ron Paul on youtube over the last week. The more I see of this guy the more I like him. A straight-up no-nonsense kind of guy with some really good ideas and plans to make america a great place again.

Ron Paul, the Re-Founding Father. :smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The only thing to slash and burn is the military budget, unless he wants to cut social security and medicare (good luck with that). His own party will paint him into a corner before too long. He seems like a great guy so I don't see him winning the Republican nomination.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The only thing to slash and burn is the military budget, unless he wants to cut social security and medicare (good luck with that). His own party will paint him into a corner before too long. He seems like a great guy so I don't see him winning the Republican nomination.

He wants to turn a lot of things back over to the states like education, housing and about 6 other big departments. Abolish the Fed. Give people an option for healthcare and social security, repeal the patriot act, close 900 bases on foreign soil and open diplomacy and trade everywhere. He wants to go back to strict and direct interpretation of the constitution and bill of rights and downsize federal govt dramatically while reinstating liberty.

I think every political party, banker and corporate lobbyist will be doing all they can to prevent his election and really when you look at who will try to stop him you realize just how good he would be for the American people.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I get a chuckle out of the "strict interpreters". A 'strict" interpretation is still an interpretation, and both sides can have their own version of strict interpretation. And the only interpretation that means anything is the Supreme Court's.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I get a chuckle out of the "strict interpreters". A 'strict" interpretation is still an interpretation, and both sides can have their own version of strict interpretation. And the only interpretation that means anything is the Supreme Court's.
It does not mean you put your own spin on it, it means that you take the words for exactly what they mean. Like the 4th amendment says no search without a warrant obtained in a specific manner, so there is no search without a warrant obtained in a specific manner. I think it is a pretty simple concept.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The constitution says very little. Anything in it requires spin.

The prime target of the spin is the right to life. Show me anything in the constitution that protects the life of a fetus or unborn?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The constitution says very little. Anything in it requires spin.

The prime target of the spin is the right to life. Show me anything in the constitution that protects the life of a fetus or unborn?
It doesn't, that is why anti-abortion laws were struck down in Roe v Wade.

The constitution and bill of rights are not large documents even including the amendments. That is the simple beauty of it, it lays down all you need in a short, clear, concise manner that even a 7th grader can read and understand.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It doesn't, that is why anti-abortion laws were struck down in Roe v Wade.

The constitution and bill of rights are not large documents even including the amendments. That is the simple beauty of it, it lays down all you need in a short, clear, concise manner that even a 7th grader can read and understand.
The strict "constructionists" claim Roe v Wade is a constitutional wrong.