Rogers Email-to-Text Changes...

j62lee

Feb 6, 2006
This script was working fine for me until I decided to tinker with it today... I edited index.php so it would send me messages longer than 160 characters in multiple SMS's... but I left an infinite loop in there by mistake. It sent me about 200 messages before I was able to stop the cron job. I fixed up the code, but then the script stopped working for me. I can still receive txt messages from other sources, but not from this script. I have even tried replacing it with the original index.php file. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here's my code:

Code:
<?
include('config.php');

$MC=imap_check($mbox);
$MN=$MC->Nmsgs;
$overview=imap_fetch_overview($mbox,"1:$MN",0);
$size=sizeof($overview);

if($size !="0")
{
$message=imap_fetchbody($mbox, 1, 1);

imap_delete($mbox, 1);
imap_expunge($mbox);

$result = strlen($message);
$message = str_replace(chr(10), " ", $message);
$iterate = intval($result / 160);
$start = 0;
while ($iterate >= 0)
{
if ($result > 160)
{
$cut = substr($message, $start, $start+160);
}
else
{
$cut = $message;
}
$msgtxt = $cut;
$msglength = strlen($msgtxt);

$URL="http://216.129.53.44:8080/cgi-bin/send_sm_rogers.new";
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $URL);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, "msisdn=".$smsnum."&text=".$msgtxt."&SIZEBOX=".$msglength);curl_exec ($ch);
curl_close ($ch);

$iterate = $iterate - 1;
$start = $start + 160;

}

}
imap_close($mbox);
?>

Thanks!

ShowKase

Mar 11, 2006
hey fellas , dont mean to be a bother but for cats like me who dont have a gaddam clue what any of y'all are talking about - can someone translate all of this into like um ... normal english ? you know ... just ... normal ... words ? i think alot of us reading through these pages are looking for the "Dummies" version of what y'all are talking about ... to no avail ... alot of us need the "press this , then do this , then add this , and then press this" version ... thank ya kindly ...

big_raji

Dec 3, 2005
ShowKase said:
hey fellas , dont mean to be a bother but for cats like me who dont have a gaddam clue what any of y'all are talking about - can someone translate all of this into like um ... normal english ? you know ... just ... normal ... words ? i think alot of us reading through these pages are looking for the "Dummies" version of what y'all are talking about ... to no avail ... alot of us need the "press this , then do this , then add this , and then press this" version ... thank ya kindly ...

Well, first thing's first. You need a server (or access to a server) where you can put this PHP file up for public web access. You may need certain rights on the server to enable you to check your e-mail account that you want to associate with your cellular phone.

You then need a way to to access the PHP file over the internet on a timed, regular basis (ie: once a minute). If you are running a scheduled "cron job" on the server, you can use the "wget" command. I don't know of a way to do it with Windows scheduled tasks, but I'm sure there's a program or script you can run to do it.

If you don't have access to a web server to upload this script file (the PHP file) then it's over before you've even started. You MIGHT be able to run a web server on your own PC, and then access the PHP file that way, but it seems like more trouble than it would be worth.

jonchew

Apr 18, 2006
hi all.

first off, you won't believe how long i've been looking for something like this! cell notifications would be so much easier, but i like all of you, got a little screwed over by rogers.

can any of you help me? here's the dilemaa.

1. i have my own server with dreamhost, but compiled php does not have IMAP support. no problem, install it. and compile my own with imap (but i dind't install curl and libmcrypt support)
2. when i try and run (after a ONE HOUR install) i get this error

Warning: imap_open(): Couldn't open stream {mail.domain.com:143/imap}INBOX in /home/username/domain.com/cell/config.php on line 25

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FIX IT AND HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR THE LAST FIVE HOURS. (as you can see, i know almost nothign about php)

i've tried everything! removing INBOX, changing my user name and password, etc etc.

Also, can someone explain to me how we're sending the textmessage to our cell phones in the first place. i mean, i always used http://www.rogers.com/english/wireless/sendpcs.html
but it was so annoying since you had to enter in the SECRET CODE.

how are we getting around that exactly? and do i HAVE to use PHP and IMAP to replicate it as well!?

amckie

May 10, 2006
The web host for sending messages (216.129.53.44:8080) seems to have been taken offline. Can anyone else confirm that, and (fingers crossed) suggest a working alternative? The only other server I can find right now is the one that requires validation with a code embedded in an image.

Thanks

big_raji

Dec 3, 2005
Re: RE: Rogers Email-to-Text Changes...

amckie said:
The web host for sending messages (216.129.53.44:8080) seems to have been taken offline. Can anyone else confirm that, and (fingers crossed) suggest a working alternative? The only other server I can find right now is the one that requires validation with a code embedded in an image.

Thanks

Damn, I was wondering what happened. That sucks.

WakeupCall

May 20, 2006
Ottawa
wakeupcall.ca
I have Rogers email alerts coming to my Rogers mobile phone showing the subject line but I don't know how I got it. I don't forward my mail and don't have wireless desktop.

Does anyone know how to get email alerts?

jonchew

Apr 18, 2006
i echo this! has anyone found an alternative?

OR just any way to send FREE SMS text messages to ROGERS phones...

right now, i'm using msn mobile alerts to alert me of my e-mails, but it costs five cents per message!!!

joeblow99

Oct 28, 2006
how to email a text message to your cell

HOW TO:
to have anyone send a text message to your cell send it to:
6042223456@pcs.rogers.com
just replace the first 10 digits with your cell. if you want your email as text messages, setup your email to forward a copy to that email address.

jonchew

Apr 18, 2006
HOW TO:
to have anyone send a text message to your cell send it to:
6042223456@pcs.rogers.com
just replace the first 10 digits with your cell. if you want your email as text messages, setup your email to forward a copy to that email address.
This actually costs money. you have to pay rogers a $5/month fee to use it! Is there a free way like there used to be by finding out the sms gateway that rogers uses?

jonchew

Apr 18, 2006
yeah, i know how to send txt messages from rogers website, but each time you have to type in an authentication to stop spammers.

before, (if you search these forums) there was a script written to allow you to access the gateway directly, without the password. this way, you can send text messages to yourself by e-mailing. now, they have changed it.

does anyone know a way around the password? so that you can set up your own script on your own website like the previous posts?

GorN

Jan 6, 2008
Can't someone pull apart that windows program that rogers released for sending and receiving text from your desktop? maybe there's something in there that can help? maybe they left a test or debug server addy in there that'll either be usable or give us a hint as to of any others that are open or not tracked?

computerispc

Feb 28, 2008
I agree rogers is not working to enhance their services to please their customers, but they just work on getting more money. I signed up my phone for pay as you go with rogers like a few monthes ago. And i hadn't had many people on my contacts list that I call or they call me so I decided to activate voicemail on my phone even though I was warned it would cost me even if I didnt view the message.

Well now they charge me for every missed call I make or every time someone calls me even though I dont answer and they DON'T leave a message on my voicemail. I wanted to contact them regarding this problem. This is where Rogers starts being gay (Well actually my first sim card did not work for some reason even though it was wrapped and all. Good waste of $30). I had registered on rogers.com before, USING my email, something people tend to not do. And as we all do I forgot my password. So I asked them to send my password to my email: dr.hobo@hotmail.com. And it said that multiple accounts were registered under that email :smile:. And nobody knows my password.

So I try calling them. I could not find the right department to solve my problem so I chose the "OTHER PROBLEMS OR TROUBLESHOOTING" ,or something like that, department. So they tell me to wait and put on some music, yay at least I get to hear music. And after like 7 minutes it was like the offices are closed. So nothing I can do about it. Oh yeah, before I registered my phone I had a Rogers Plus and Rogers Video $10 giftcard, but Rogers Plus does not sell pay as you go cards, the first Rogers Video store I went to had a broken machine, so I had to go to the downtown rogers video store to get my $10 pay as you go card/voucher. Pretty satisfying eh? Even Bell or Telus could have done better.