Rob Ford's approval rating sinks to new low, Doug Ford’s even worse

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Rob Ford's approval rating sinks to new low, Doug Ford’s even worse

Rob Ford has never been more unpopular, a poll suggests, and his brother is liked even less.

The mayor’s approval rating sank to a new low, 32 per cent, in a Forum Research poll conducted on Wednesday. That is down from 38 per cent in a Forum poll done on May 1, immediately after he announced he was taking a leave of absence to seek help for his problem with alcohol.

Prior to that poll, his approval rating had appeared impervious to scandal. He had confounded critics by managing to stay at 40 per cent or higher in all but one of the 39 surveys released by Forum since February 2012.

The Wednesday results were not all bad for Ford. They suggest he remains in third place in the mayoral election, weaker than when he launched his campaign but still within striking distance.

Olivia Chow had the support of 36 per cent of respondents, John Tory 27 per cent, Ford 24 per cent, and David Soknacki and Karen Stintz 3 per cent apiece.

Curiously, Ford’s 24 per cent support figure represents an increase of 2 percentage points over the May 1 poll. That is not statistically significant, since it is within the poll’s margin of error. It may suggest, though, that he has lost the approval of people who were not going to vote for him anyway.

The new poll comes amid uncertainty about Ford’s plans. He has not announced a date for his return to office or to the race, and Councillor Doug Ford, his campaign manager, has refused to rule out the possibility that he will take his brother’s place on the ballot.

Doug Ford did poorly in a five-candidate race tested by Forum for the first time: Chow had 37 per cent support, Tory 26 per cent, Doug Ford 20 per cent, Soknacki and Stintz 4 per cent apiece.

Doug Ford’s approval rating was a mere 30 per cent; 66 per cent disapproved of him. By contrast, 68 per cent approved of Tory, while 32 per cent disapproved; 59 per cent approved of Chow, 41 per cent disapproved; 50 per cent approved of Soknacki, 50 per cent disapproved; and 49 per cent approved of Stintz, 51 per cent disapproved.

Operatives for rival campaigns have long believed that even a scandal-weakened Rob Ford is a more formidable candidate than Doug Ford, who does not share the mayor’s history of constituency work or his everyman persona.

Rob Ford's approval rating sinks to new low

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Rob is trying a "Rehab" trick on his constituents to see if he can garner another term feeding at the public trough and doing a line of Coke courtesy the taxpayers. I hope the Tpronto voters see through this charade.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Rob is trying a "Rehab" trick on his constituents to see if he can garner another term feeding at the public trough and doing a line of Coke courtesy the taxpayers. I hope the Tpronto voters see through this charade.

If he really wanted that to work, he would have done it sometime in November of last year.

6 more months of lies and downward spiral definitely didn't help his case.

Mugging for photos while he was supposed to be in rehab didn't help his case.

I think the sympathy well has all but dried up. At this point you will either vote for him no matter what, or you will never ever vote for him again.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Looks like Rob is well on the road to recovery, hope he makes it and can hold on to the mayor's job. I saw Olivia Chow on the idiot box "campaigning", didn't have much to say for herself, just how bad Ford is..........................typical politician I guess!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Looks like Rob is well on the road to recovery, hope he makes it and can hold on to the mayor's job. I saw Olivia Chow on the idiot box "campaigning", didn't have much to say for herself, just how bad Ford is..........................typical politician I guess!

Shake your head JLM; then, shake it again.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

If Olivia Chow had any integrity she'd become a crackhead herself. It's just shameful the way she reminds us that her opponent is a crackhead. What about the issues, Olivia? And no, "do you want a crackhead for a mayor" is not an issue.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If Olivia Chow had any integrity she'd become a crackhead herself. It's just shameful the way she reminds us that her opponent is a crackhead. What about the issues, Olivia? And no, "do you want a crackhead for a mayor" is not an issue.

Well, THAT might be a little extreme, but yeah, the woman certainly didn't impress me. Denigrate Fords, smoking and drinking for sure, but she's the first one I've heard denigrate his politics.................at least to that degree!

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well, THAT might be a little extreme, but yeah, the woman certainly didn't impress me. Denigrate Fords, smoking and drinking for sure, but she's the first one I've heard denigrate his politics.................at least to that degree!

I meant my post as a joke. How can you not run a negative campaign? Rob Ford is a trainwreck.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I meant my post as a joke. How can you not run a negative campaign? Rob Ford is a trainwreck.

Olivia Chow might be too. Ford has certainly had his moments and has a lot to prove, but a lot of the best people I've known have come through sh*t like this and emerged whole on the other side.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
One questions the validity of her campaign when her only option is to run attack ads against a mayor that really has done his own attack ads for himself.
why do attack ads work...I hate them and everyone I know hates them...they appeal only to the lowest denominator yet they still work...why?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
why do attack ads work...I hate them and everyone I know hates them...they appeal only to the lowest denominator yet they still work...why?

Doesn't look like his blood pressure has fallen much: