Right Wing nutjobs getting involved in Child Care

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Colpy said:
thomaska said:
stusa said:
I agree something needs to be done about child day care.
Do you really want the same bunch of idiots that started the Indian schools having anything to do with child day care
Stevem447

Just wondering if the moderators would let me get away with a similar avatar and sig...since I've been banned once for less, imo...

I don't blame you for finding that one somewhat offensive................

Well you know I'd never actually do something silly like that, but I just wondered if anyone else thought it was "attacking people, and not an ideal" <------- reason for me being banned

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I didn't now you were flipping the bill for that.

But sadly the answer is no, I'm keeping it.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Parents are one of our largest mooch groups but the $1200 should temporarily shut some of them up. I support it.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
I don't want to sound selfish, but could someone please explain why it is that I should be paying for peoples' child care? Honestly, I don't have a problem helping to pay for schooling because that helps us all. A well educated population is better for everyone.

I'm not, however, entirely sure how your childcare is in any way my responsibility.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I agree with the above. I must have missed the debate in Parliament about the need to subsidize children.There was much talk about how to do it. I think the conservatives countered the libs buffoonery with thier own payout. Sad.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Right Wing nutjobs getting involved in Child Care

LittleRunningGag said:
I don't want to sound selfish, but could someone please explain why it is that I should be paying for peoples' child care? Honestly, I don't have a problem helping to pay for schooling because that helps us all. A well educated population is better for everyone.

I'm not, however, entirely sure how your childcare is in any way my responsibility.

Why should I pay for your broken leg? It's not like I broke it or anything. I'm not sure why your health problems are my responsibility.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Our economy relies on people working. Demand for labor as the boomers head for retirement is increasing. Everyone benefits from mothers getting into the workforce.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

Said1 said:
Why should I pay for your broken leg? It's not like I broke it or anything. I'm not sure why your health problems are my responsibility.

It isn't really your problem is it? The difference, however, is that you choose to have children, it isn't often that a person chooses to have their leg broken. And if they do intentionally break their leg, I don't think that I should have to pay for that either.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

Kreskin said:
Our economy relies on people working. Demand for labor as the boomers head for retirement is increasing. Everyone benefits from mothers getting into the workforce.

If that is the goal, we should be subsidising private day care, and day homes. Or we should be paying women to put their kids into day care. Giving a cheque to parents for having children doesn't necessarily accomplish that goal.

[disclaimer]

I don't advocate publicly sponsored child care either. Just pointing out the flaw in your argument.

[/disclaimer]

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
The latest SES sun Media poll has 1.3% of Canadians upset with the Conservative Child Care policy. This is an unprompted poll that doesn't give options but asks adults to list what they like or don't like about government policy. Things like too close to U.S. foreign policy come in at 18%.

Child Care, like AIDS, Kyoto, etc. are niche topics when it comes to priorities for Canadians. Canadians will vote on the integrity of the government, the economy and so on. Political parties that pander to special interest groups probably already have those votes and spend their time spinning their wheels in oblivion (such as the NDP that hasn't even formed the opposition after 18 federal elections and is a distant 4th in the House of commons for the last couple decades.)

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
If childcare is to receive more funding then I want a meaningful say in how those kids are raised. My money, my time, my say. I'm very unhappy with the job most parents are doing and I can't think of anything less responsible than offering more dollars to the incompetent.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

tamarin said:
If childcare is to receive more funding then I want a meaningful say in how those kids are raised. My money, my time, my say. I'm very unhappy with the job most parents are doing and I can't think of anything less responsible than offering more dollars to the incompetent.

WOW!

If you want to see incompetent, let the bloody government take over!

Personally, I would certainly rather see parents raise their kids than let the gov't do it!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

LittleRunningGag said:
[

It isn't really your problem is it? The difference, however, is that you choose to have children, it isn't often that a person chooses to have their leg broken. And if they do intentionally break their leg, I don't think that I should have to pay for that either.

Of course no one choses to break their leg, but why should I have to help pay for someone's medical treatment in your province? Is it federal money being used for this purpose that you have a problem with, or just the idea of subsidies in general, regardless of their nature being give for childcare? Both, right?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

tamarin said:

Good idea. Open a daycare centre or after school progam for your community's youth.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

LittleRunningGag said:
Kreskin said:

If that is the goal, we should be subsidising private day care, and day homes. Or we should be paying women to put their kids into day care. Giving a cheque to parents for having children doesn't necessarily accomplish that goal.

[disclaimer]

I don't advocate publicly sponsored child care either. Just pointing out the flaw in your argument.

[/disclaimer]

These do exist, the problem is there isn't enough spots or people willing to do it, espeically for school aged children. Not enough money and they take up a full spot.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005

tamarin said:

In principle I agree with you. If I'm going to pay for someone else's childbearing choices then do I also get a say in whether or not they are allowed to breed? In reality, however, best if the governmnet butts out of deciding who has kids and paying for raising those kids after the fact. Quality eduation and health education I have no probelm with...beyond that it fosters irresponsibility. Much less expensive to fund free condom distribution and free volunteer sterilization.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
RE: Right Wing nutjobs ge

What if, best planning aside, financial circumstances change, leaving the costs of childcare out of reach for some. What is the better option, temporary help with childcare until circumstances improve, or welfare?