Rick Rypien

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I think it's people like you that make people suffering from depression pull the pin because people like you make fun of it.Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah......
Since you have NFI who I am or what I've gone through in life I'll take your childish remarks as being worth the paper they're printed on.

The fact is that beating people up for a living sucks and will certainly rebound on a person one way or t'other.

Note that I have left dimwitted ideas about 'karma' out of my post-you'd be well advised to do the same.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Since you have NFI who I am or what I've gone through in life I'll take your childish remarks as being worth the paper they're printed on.

The fact is that beating people up for a living sucks and will certainly rebound on a person one way or t'other.

Note that I have left dimwitted ideas about 'karma' out of my post-you'd be well advised to do the same.

rypien did much more hockey playing than beating people up. sure he was tough, but he was also a decent
player, but in the last two years he missed a good deal of the seasons with his 'depression' problem.
no one knew exactly what was bothering him, as the canucks did not disclose this information, but gave
rypien the privacy he needed, and the time to heal.
He did that once, came back, but the next season, it all came back and he was 'out' again.

rypien was not a goon, he was a tough hockey player, who could fight as well.

R.I.P. Rypien

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I remember watch Rypien play for the Regina Pats, he was an excellent leader on and off the ice. Personally and I'm sure most you have seen the harsh reality of someone suffering from bipolar or uni-polar (dystemia) It tends to hit in their 20's and early 30s. Poor fella. He'll be missed.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I guess Rypien committed suicide just as he was about to sign with the Winnipeg hockey team, and I just learned that his mom was a childhood friend. I didn't realize until now that Nola was his mom ... the same Nola that I knew when I was barely able to empty my pockets on the linen tablecloth at lunch. Nola and her siblings came over for ice cream after we finished supper every summer night but if it is her son ... I can say that her mother, Rypien's grandmother, suffered depression and my father took her to appointments for that depression when I was a child. It's been said that even though he signed a $750,000 annual deal with Winnipeg, he was too depressed to carry on ... his grandmother didn't have that kind of deal, but she was also depressed.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-nhler-rick-rypien-at-funeral/article2134341/