Richard Dawkins: 'Immoral' not to abort Down's foetuses

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The only way Dawkin's comments make any sense whatsoever is to view morality through the lens of a population geneticist. That's a very strange frame to use; it's an appeal to nature that begins to slide down the slope to eugenics. Perhaps that's not surprising given that Charles Darwin's cousin and supporter Francis Galton was the one who coined the term eugenics, and contributed to it's growth, failed notion that it was.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No they don't and ours never did either until a couple hundred years ago.
That's right, no society ever provided aid for the poor and helpless in society until 200 years ago. I can see why you're so bitter about government. It never taught you any history.

Anyway I pay enough taxes to keep 3 welfare families going and I don't get much return for that money.
Well, that's true. The power you're using for the internet, the roads you travel on, the water you drink, the police protection, the vaccinations without which you'd have been dead decades ago.

Just your life.

That's OK. Ignore any facts that could dent your self-righteousness.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Amniocentesis, and other test results have been known to be misdiagnosed.
Seventeen years ago my son got the news that his then pregnant wife was going to give birth to a baby with Spina Bifida...and their recommendations were not very attractive.....
They recommended a "Clinic" in Toronto, but he insisted on a second opinion at a real Hospital in Toronto and their result was quite different...after four months and with some real expensive pill which were not covered by any plans.....she gave birth.
I now have a perfectly normal 16 year old grandson.....
If you can call always slouching teens these days "normal":roll:
An amnio is pretty definitive but a nuchal scan is not. A nuchal measures for things that might indicate potential chromosome abnormality. I've heard of many false readings with scans. But from there one can do an amnio to determine the chromosome structure, where fluid in the amniotic sac is extracted. An amnio poses about a 1 in 200 chance of causing a miscarriage so even the decision to take the test isn't a light one.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The only way Dawkin's comments make any sense whatsoever is to view morality through the lens of a population geneticist. That's a very strange frame to use; it's an appeal to nature that begins to slide down the slope to eugenics. Perhaps that's not surprising given that Charles Darwin's cousin and supporter Francis Galton was the one who coined the term eugenics, and contributed to it's growth, failed notion that it was.

And many moral, decent human beings were taken with the concept.

One famous (and exceptionally decent) Canadian did his MA thesis on eugenics, which he enthusiastically supported.

His name was Tommy Douglas.

I am not putting down Tommy Douglas, whom I admire, nor am I supporting eugenics, which is an abomination..............simply pointing out that people are flawed, and get caught up in some very shaky ideas.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And many moral, decent human beings were taken with the concept.

One famous (and exceptionally decent) Canadian did his MA thesis on eugenics, which he enthusiastically supported.

His name was Tommy Douglas.

I am not putting down Tommy Douglas, whom I admire, nor am I supporting eugenics, which is an abomination..............simply pointing out that people are flawed, and get caught up in some very shaky ideas.
Don't get all wise on me, Colpy! Makes it harder to be bitchy at you.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Back in the old days we rated mental patients by their I.Q.s:

IQ Range Classification

70-80 Borderline deficiency
50-69 Moron
20-49 Imbecile
below 20 Idiot

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Back in the old days we rated mental patients by their I.Q.s:

IQ Range Classification

70-80 Borderline deficiency
50-69 Moron
20-49 Imbecile
below 20 Idiot

Thanks Juan!! Now I have an official ranking on which to rate progressives........

(just kidding)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks Juan!! Now I have an official ranking on which to rate progressives........

(just kidding)

I picked this out of an old text book that I hadn't opened in forty odd years. Aren't you glad that you now know the real difference between an imbecile and a moron. ......

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I picked this out of an old text book that I hadn't opened in forty odd years. Aren't you glad that you now know the real difference between an imbecile and a moron. ......
Yay. Does that same textbook explain in scientific terms why blacks are inferior to whites? Or that the four elements are earth, air, fire, and water? Or that you can tell a person's character and predispositions by the bumps on his head?

Because we all know old ideas are necessarily superior to new ideas.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yay. Does that same textbook explain in scientific terms why blacks are inferior to whites? Or that the four elements are earth, air, fire, and water? Or that you can tell a person's character and predispositions by the bumps on his head?

Because we all know old ideas are necessarily superior to new ideas.

Don't remember the chapter about blacks but there was a chapter on bumpology. One of the neighbors was a miserable bast--d and he had bumps all over his head. He may have been miserable because people kept hitting him on his head.
Life must have been a lot simpler with only four elements.
Cheers