Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Been to Switzerland. Think we have economic inequality here?

You can buy jeans in Switzerland. Two classes. Under CHF30 or over CHF220. The under 30 ones are crap. WalMart wouldn't sell them. The over 220 ones are a dream of the "flying to the moon" type for working-class Swiss.

I never saw an intermediate class.
WTF does that have to do with the price of rice in Portage la Prairie?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I was pointing out that one of the most common gripes about "your neighbours to the south," income inequality, is as bad or worse in Switzerland. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that.

Never understood the sense of having a commodity-backed currency. Why gold? Why not uranium, or wheat, or Hula Hoops?
If the CDN or USD were back by gold rather than oil like Switzerland would be like a trip to the outlet stores at the Geat Mall of China be a good thing?

14 months and we have one in SK.Will my levis last 5 years or 5 months?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I was pointing out that one of the most common gripes about "your neighbours to the south," income inequality, is as bad or worse in Switzerland. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that.

Never understood the sense of having a commodity-backed currency. Why gold? Why not uranium, or wheat, or Hula Hoops?
I have just noticed , your avatar is passing gas and the wing is waving it away :|

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Back on the topic. The Senate we presently have was supposed to be and provide that sober second thought and review of Govt Bills. It turned into a payoff fund for the corrupted system we have.
Canadians are to ffn mellow.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If your the Yank you say you say are you'd endorse a full vote for MP, PM and Senate in Canada as well.

If you don't you might have to drone bomb us for being tied to the UK system like Pakistan.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There is absolutely no use or benefit in a monarchy. The sooner we get rid of it the better. Nor do we need both a President and Prime Minister. One or the other will suffice.

What current democratic republic has no prime minister or equivalent and a president or equivalent? Even the USA has both a president and a majority house leader.

Now that said, we can immagine that in a republic the role of the prime minister would be significantly diminished as is the case in republics.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What current democratic republic has no prime minister or equivalent and a president or equivalent? Even the USA has both a president and a majority house leader.

Now that said, we can immagine that in a republic the role of the prime minister would be significantly diminished as is the case in republics.
What Democracy allows you to vote for an MP but not a PM?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If your the Yank you say you say are you'd endorse a full vote for MP, PM and Senate in Canada as well.

If you don't you might have to drone bomb us for being tied to the UK system like Pakistan.
Yes, yes. I demand that you break up your provinces into fifty states, have a president, a Senate, and a House of Representatives, name your political parties Democratic and Republican, reprint your money all in one colour, and elect the world's tallest Oompa Loompa as your Speaker of the House.

Real Yanks, such as myself, don't give a rap how you organise Canada.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What Democracy allows you to vote for an MP but not a PM?

What democracy allows the whole nation to vote for a PM? The PM (or majority leader in the case of the US) is elected by his constituents as a local representative and then only put in that position by the party or the House. Same in the US, France, and elsewhere.

Seems like you're confusing the legislative and executive branches. Technically the Canadian equivalent of the president is not the PM, but the Governor General or the Queen.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes, yes. I demand that you break up your provinces into fifty states, have a president, a Senate, and a House of Representatives, name your political parties Democratic and Republican, reprint your money all in one colour, and elect the world's tallest Oompa Loompa as your Speaker of the House.

Real Yanks, such as myself, don't give a rap how you organise Canada.
Why 50? 13 was all that was needed for the US correct? We have 13.
Is that not a quorum?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What democracy allows the whole nation to vote for a PM? The PM (or majority leader in the case of the US) is elected by his constituents as a local representative and then only put in that position by the party or the House. Same in the US, France, and elsewhere.

Seems like you're confusing the legislative and executive branches. Technically the Canadian equivalent of the president is not the PM, but the Governor General or the Queen.
Hence a Republic. We have no say in who is elected PM or appointed to the Upper House. I want say.