Report: Alberta Oil Sands Most Destructive Project on Earth

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Scott free
The perils of killing wildlife bears a heavy price tag, unfortunately migratory birds and other wildlife they don’t grow back ones they have been evicted by corporate development. Usually when such a big environmental rearrangement takes place wild life takes a beating on the population numbers. Already we see birds dyeing as a result of this invironmental catastrophy. If anything when such topographical change takes place wildlife relocates to a deferent location, manytimes from such threat it doesn’t allow migration to find a sustainable invornment. We are hurting the environment so we can drive 4x4 crew cabs to the grocery store and the malls, or drive 400 hp engines while the emissions are mounting by the second. What is pathetic here in North America, Canada and the US the word profit to investors has replaced Caring for the environment.

I already agreed the oil sands projects are too destructive if the photo presented is an accurate depiction. I don't see how we can justify that behaviour yet demand the tropical countries preserve their rain forests.

I don't believe in global warming though - it's a bunch of HS! It is bad science, reactionary and motivated by politics.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Now to be fair, we don't know what the ARO of the companies is,

usually there is an Asset Retirement Obligation for things like oilfields, that include either money for the goverment to, or a personal duty to, restore the land to its orginal condition after use.

The problem isn't per say the creation of the moonscape, its whether or not a moonscape is left there after the fact.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Now to be fair, we don't know what the ARO of the companies is,

usually there is an Asset Retirement Obligation for things like oilfields, that include either money for the goverment to, or a personal duty to, restore the land to its orginal condition after use.

The problem isn't per say the creation of the moonscape, its whether or not a moonscape is left there after the fact.

Very true.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
There have been 4600 haectares or about 22% of disturbed land reclaimed, and that is home to 300 wood buffalo.- The entire picture isn't being revealed here- that goop flows into the river from the banks(naturally), the natives used to use it to waterproof their watercraft. yeah it is a mess, but it is being returned to a natural state.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Won't someone please think of the children.

the truth is that, when we beat the environment in the manner to which we have done in the past 100 years no wander we see young mothers giving birth to deformed children. And one thing is for sure, you start having deformed life on humans, wildlife, and who knows on plants too as a result of the pollution we inflict on this planet, no wander the scientific opinion is of very grim circumstance with regards to the future on this planet

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
What does that mean?
I think what Walter is trying to say is"get off your green high horse",it is ducks,for christ's sake.Why don't we shut down the poultry plants?Thousands of cute little chickies being massacred daily so nicotine-addicted thugs can dine on their wings. It's a disgrace.If it will save only one life it will be worth it.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
The people who think this is about 500 ducks are missing the whole point. The dead ducks just emphasize what a moonscaped, poisoned environment Northern Alberta is becoming all for the sake of the almighty dollar. It is destruction on the same level as the destruction of the rainforest in Brazil that was so widely protested around the world years ago. I hope that the Tar sands will receive the same sort of negative press from other nations.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
The people who think this is about 500 ducks are missing the whole point. The dead ducks just emphasize what a moonscaped, poisoned environment Northern Alberta is becoming all for the sake of the almighty dollar. It is destruction on the same level as the destruction of the rainforest in Brazil that was so widely protested around the world years ago. I hope that the Tar sands will receive the same sort of negative press from other nations.
Close them all down, fools.The only thing that globalization has done for the feeble-minded isto give them someone else to feel superior over. If it wasn't for progress ,you would have to be content with annoying your neighbours. Preach locally,and pontificate globally using the devices that you so much despise,HYPOCRITES.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Brazil may not be not re-planting the rainforest but Syncrude is replanting the boreal forest it disturbs.

Got any pics? I'm not suggesting they don't spend lots of time and money in reclamation, I would just like to see what the end result looks like.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I think what Walter is trying to say is"get off your green high horse",it is ducks,for christ's sake.Why don't we shut down the poultry plants?Thousands of cute little chickies being massacred daily so nicotine-addicted thugs can dine on their wings. It's a disgrace.If it will save only one life it will be worth it.

That's not what Walt meant at all, but, why don't we just kill every wild animal on the earth since your logic suggests that in an oh well kind of way.

They have just as much of a right to live as we do and I'm sure why some people take such glee in the our man made destructive forces.

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
Thanks for educating me--I thought wars were the most desructive--maybe I'm wrong

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

It is unfortunate that man is taking such stubborn position in the subject of ENERGY, both governments in Canada and the US are taking for ever in switching from oil to a renewable energy with out the heavy price of pollution, from manufacturing of oil products to their final use.