Rememberance Day

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
- Zing Nafzinger

cool story and thanks zing.

stick to your angelic kingdom of psuedo-psycho light and thank a real veteran.

fuk you but thanks.

zing. :lol:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I had 4 uncles who I knew that served in WWII.1 I didn't because he was shot down over Germany. Saw his name in the book in the Peace Tower some years ago. He also has a lake named after him in northern Saskatchewan. My dad was too young to serve.

All 4 of those uncles are now passed.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
My Grandmother's cousin was killed at Beaumont-Hamel serving with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

My Grandfather was sunk twice by U-Boats (in WW 1) serving with the British Merchant Marines. He was Irish btw.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My grandfather, three great uncles and my Dad all served. My great aunt served as a nurse. Two of my great uncles never came home.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

"We commemorate the 1,700,000 men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died in the two world wars.

Our cemeteries, burial plots and memorials are a lasting tribute to those who died in some 154 countries across the world.

Our Register records details of Commonwealth war dead so that graves or names on memorials can be located."

CWGC - Homepage

Thank you for caring for those who never returned to their native soil.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A paternal great-grandfather of mine was mustard gassed by the Hun during the Great War. He survived but suffered breathing difficulties for the rest of his life until he died around 1971.

In the 1950s and 1960s my maternal grandfather was a soldier of the British Empire. He became a Sergeant Major and he was posted all over the Empire to keep the Colonials and natives in check. As a result he and his wife (my grandmother, of course) and their children (including my mother, who was born on a British Army base in West Germany) lived all over the British Empire when my mum and her siblings were children, in places such as Yemen, Kenya (where they lived in a grand villa in Nairobi with verandas and stunning views and black servants - my mother has got loads of pictures of her and her siblings as children sitting on the villa's veranda with her parents with black servants serving them tea etc) and Singapore (where they lived on a house on stilts to avoid the annual flooding of the rainy season). Thanks to the Empire, millions of young people in Britain today have parents and grandparents who lived around the Empire and are often regaled by their parents or grandparents with great stories of foreign adventures and deeds that their parents and grandparents performed and experienced just a few decades ago, such as when their granddad fought the Mau Mau scum or had a mother who, as a little girl, lorded it over the natives in grand villas with brown folk fanning her and making her tea. Great stuff. All things from a Boys' Own Adventure.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The U.S. is a little different on Remembrance Day. We originally called it Armistice Day for the armistice that ended WWI. After WWII, we changed it to Veterans Day. In the U.S., it's for all who served.

We remember the fallen on the last Monday in May, which we call Memorial Day.

No one has actually said it, so even though it's 99.999% sure to be futile, I'll give it a shot.

Cliffy, we'd appreciate it if you could see your way clear to not being an as*hole for the next eight hours and 42 minutes. Really, we would.

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
(Kaliala and Dimna): a book with animals speaking to each other; of course it is full of wisdom and parables; originally it had been Indian, then in the past was translated into Persian, then in the Abbasid period it was translated to Arabic, and I think it is translated to English many years ago.

It includes this tale:
A lioness once was crying and wailing, because a wild animal devoured her cubs; a bear saw her and said to her:

"how many children of animals have you killed till now ? Have they no mothers like you who became sad because you devoured their young children?"

I have deleted that part which let some ignore the transgression on others.:lol:

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
(Kaliala and Dimna): a book with animals speaking to each other; of course it is full of wisdom and parables; originally it was Indian, then in the past was translated into Persian, then in the Abbasid period it was translated to Arabic, and I think it is translated to English many years ago.

It includes this tale:
A lioness once was crying and wailing, because a wild animal devoured her cubs; a bear saw her and said to her:

"how many children of animals have you killed till now ? Have they no mothers like you who became sad because you devoured their young children?"

So she decided not to eat meat afterwards, and to satisfy with the plant as food :lol:
Cool story, bro. How long did the lioness live, seeing as how lions are obligate carnivores, and can't survive on plants?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My wife's great great grandfather was lost at Vimy Ridge, never to be found.