Refugee/Migrant Crisis

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How can anyone buy into the idea Republicans actually give a shit about the border? It's a non-issue, and the only use it has, is to beat Democrats with in the game of "They're worse than us!", kind'a like how Abortion was that goto issue, until they 'fixed' it.
Well, that's not fair. The border serves two important needs for Republicans.

1. It's where they get their domestics, gardeners, and ag labour.
2. It lets them pretend they're not pandering to race hate.

Reactions: Serryah

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's really kinda sad when you react to a completely accurate correction by rejecting it.

Ignorance and belligerence are a combination that makes a body. . .

Oh, what am I saying? Ignorance and belligerence are what makes a body a popular CanCon "contributor."

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
This is an area where I'm pretty clued up, so I thought I'd help you.

Have no fear, I won't ever do it again.

Question: do you think Abbot will go over the line with his actions in Texas?

Considering that the Dems are giving on the immigration/border issue, and (as per usual) the Republicans STILL won't give on their end to agree to it now, because Daddy Trump told them no and they're all good girls and boys to listen or he might use words, big words, strong words, on his fake platform and make fun of them, do you think this might be dead in the water (horrible analogy I know, considering) or does any bill have a snowball's chance in hell of going through?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Question: do you think Abbot will go over the line with his actions in Texas?

Considering that the Dems are giving on the immigration/border issue, and (as per usual) the Republicans STILL won't give on their end to agree to it now, because Daddy Trump told them no and they're all good girls and boys to listen or he might use words, big words, strong words, on his fake platform and make fun of them, do you think this might be dead in the water (horrible analogy I know, considering) or does any bill have a snowball's chance in hell of going through?
Nah, he'll milk it for whatever political gain he can get out of it, then move on to some other OUTRAGE!

And never, EVER mention Uvalde without murmuring "thoughts and prayers."

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Funny how Trump does the same; you don't toe the line and do what HE wants, you're out.
To be completely accurate, he hasn't killed any opponents yet.

The world can thank whatever-the-fuck-they-dreamed-up-to-make-them-feel-special his excuse for a mind don't seem to run that way.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
To be completely accurate, he hasn't killed any opponents yet.

The world can thank whatever-the-fuck-they-dreamed-up-to-make-them-feel-special his excuse for a mind don't seem to run that way.

True.

What's frightening is his supporters have admitted he could kill someone personally on the White House lawn, and they'd still support him.

Kind'a reminds me of Homelander from "The Boys" with that cult following.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
True.

What's frightening is his supporters have admitted he could kill someone personally on the White House lawn, and they'd still support him.

Kind'a reminds me of Homelander from "The Boys" with that cult following.
I think his aversion to violence stems from a dim, partial understanding that violence invites violence, and ya can't talk your way out of a bullet.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think too part of it is fear of his own body/life.

Reason why he bone spurred out of Vietnam.
Funny part is, I checked his draft status (yes, it's available online) He was number 356 out of 365. Had he manned up and signed up, he never woulda been called.

And yes, before one of the Bright Sparks of Westernesse cranks up his whataboutery machine, Bill Clinton did the same, though in point of fact he voluntarily surrenderd his student deferment and took a number. He drew 311 and was never called.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Funny part is, I checked his draft status (yes, it's available online) He was number 356 out of 365. Had he manned up and signed up, he never woulda been called.

And yes, before one of the Bright Sparks of Westernesse cranks up his whataboutery machine, Bill Clinton did the same, though in point of fact he voluntarily surrenderd his student deferment and took a number. He drew 311 and was never called.

Not that I can say what I'd do if the situation happened with me.

I know when I was younger I sided with those who did not want to be drafted into a war that should not have happened. Being older now, I'm not sure. I still get it, but maybe I've an issue with people like Clinton and Trump and others who cheated to get out of it, rather than actually having a reason like, you know, conscious objection.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not that I can say what I'd do if the situation happened with me.

I know when I was younger I sided with those who did not want to be drafted into a war that should not have happened. Being older now, I'm not sure. I still get it, but maybe I've an issue with people like Clinton and Trump and others who cheated to get out of it, rather than actually having a reason like, you know, conscious objection.
Actually, Clinton didn't cheat. He followed the rules closely and carefully, and voluntarily gave up his draft-exempt status and took his chances.

Not his fault the rules were designed to draft the dregs.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Actually, Clinton didn't cheat. He followed the rules closely and carefully, and voluntarily gave up his draft-exempt status and took his chances.

Not his fault the rules were designed to draft the dregs.

Ah, okay, I thought he cheated his way out of it, or tried to and got caught or something.

My bad.