Referendum election?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That's interesting Das...Duceppe polls at 3-4% outside of Quebec and receives requests that he run candidates outside of Quebec on a regular basis.

His policies, apart from separation, are close to the NDP in a lot of areas, so you might want to consider them. The NDP also have an excellent package for addressing corruption. Unlike the Conservative plan, it is geared toward targeting Liberal practices while ignoring Conservative ones. You should check it out.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: Referendum election?

Reverend Blair said:
That's interesting Das...Duceppe polls at 3-4% outside of Quebec and receives requests that he run candidates outside of Quebec on a regular basis.

His policies, apart from separation, are close to the NDP in a lot of areas, so you might want to consider them. The NDP also have an excellent package for addressing corruption. Unlike the Conservative plan, it is geared toward targeting Liberal practices while ignoring Conservative ones. You should check it out.

NDP is a good opposition party, not governing party.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
I really can't believe Martin is calling this election a referendum. Its just adding fuel to the flame, be it the truth or not. I for one do not want to see Canada seperate, but the party who claims they are the only federalist party is the party who has led to the resurgence of sepratism in Quebec and Martin is not helping our cause.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
NDP is a good opposition party, not governing party.

They should be perfect for you then...you did say that you tended to vote against. :p

I really can't believe Martin is calling this election a referendum. Its just adding fuel to the flame, be it the truth or not. I for one do not want to see Canada seperate, but the party who claims they are the only federalist party is the party who has led to the resurgence of sepratism in Quebec and Martin is not helping our cause.

Yeah, but the reality is that the only thing worse than the Liberals in this case would be the Conservatives.

humbug

Dec 6, 2005
Quebec
:( I am not particularly fond of Martin; however, I do tend to believe that one has to reside in Quebec to fully comprehend that a vote for the Bloc is definitely a vote for separatism. Unfortunately or fortunately as the shoe might fit, separation is their one goal and the remainder of their platform is just the usual fancy gift wrapping.
Has it ever occurred to you just how much power Quebec seems to have ? The last PM's have all been from Quebec. Ottawa, Ontario is now a bilingual city as a result of the Bloc. Duceppe is talking about forming a Quebec NHL and A Quebec army and the province has not even separated yet.
I have to agree with Martin that the Bloc is merely trying to build for a referendum on separation. What is a party whose very name
denotes interest in one province only doing in a Federal election anyhow? I don't hear of an Alberta Block or a BC Block..

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't hear of an Alberta Block or a BC Block..

That's because they keep changing their name. First they were the Reform, then the Alliance, and now the Conservatives. No telling what moniker they'll choose the next time out.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Some good insight on this topic by Chantal Hébert of the Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...pageid=970599109774&col=Columnist969907622983

I really feel that in terms of the unity debate, Paul Martin and the Liberals have this unfounded arrogance. The only tactic that the Liberals use to defend Quebec's stance in Canada is scare tactics. Although he may have not been popular across the entire country, the last great leader we had in this country was Pierre Trudeau. He would evoke emotion and tried to speak to the hearts and minds of people.

The worst part is that the Liberals just don't understand that the Non side could loose the referendum. The last time in 1995, they finally realized that they could loose and became desperate. However they seem to have forgotten how close this country came to being split into 3 parts.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
What Martin should of done was beat the PQ/Bloc to the punch and have the seperation question asked during this election and have Quebecers vote on seperation at the same time they vote federally.

But with a simple Question:

"Do you wish for Quebec to seperate from Canada and become its own country?"

Plain and simple and make sure people know if they vote "yes" they will lose all ties, money, Cdn passports, rights and privledges that they would enjoy if they were to continue being a part of Canada, and that they would be on their own.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I do not know if it means much, but the two By-elections in Quebec yesterday, the Bloc and Liberals each won one.

PQ, Liberals split Quebec byelections

A teaser:

MONTREAL (CP) — Jean Charest's Liberal government managed to hold on to their longtime stronghold of Outremont in Montreal.

Charest's star candidate Raymond Bachand, a former sovereigntist, defeated Karim Farouk, a 29-year-old former student union leader who ran for the Parti Quebecois.

The PQ lost key votes in Outremont to the Green Party and the left-leaning Union des forces progressistes.

The Parti Quebecois, meanwhile, retains its solid hold on the riding that was represented by former leader Bernard Landry.

Stephane Bergeron won Vercheres riding, south of Montreal, by close to 10,000 votes over Liberal rival Jean Robert, according to Elections Quebec.[/end teaser]

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Outremont has been a Liberal stronghold for as long as anyone can remember. The fact that it was a close run is enough for the PQ, and shows alot for whats to come.