Redirecting Virus?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Hmmph! I'm more the plug-it-in-and-hope-it-works sorta techie. Up until a few years ago, outside of the Instant Teller, all I had to do with computers was to occasionally haul a load of them.

I use to think I was savvy...I could hook up my stereo, tv, vcr and program them and also hook up a computer, no sweat.. Now I can't..we have a hd 1080p lcd tv hooked up to our computer, a ps3, and the sterio with all kinds of speakers, cables, and such I'm lost. It's getting crazy techno out there.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Anybody know how to get rid of it? I have superantispyware and Avast and it's still there.

When I open a search and find the thing I want, clicking on it just sends me to another search engine...

sometimes it tells me the page contains no data or was interrupted...

:angryfire:frustration is a mild word for how it's making me feel...:angryfire:

any advice?

You get what you pay for. Forget that free crap...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Twila, check your host file:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Go here:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How do I use the Hosts File?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]​
[/FONT]

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
enter your comp into safe mode, cut it off from the internet and all other programs and run the best anti virus program you have. give it an hour or so. if that doesnt work try downloading a better anti virus and try the same thing again (i have avg)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Niki.
Install Firefox.

That's not a solution for anything, although I do suggest Firefox.

That's like people saying "install linux so you don't get viruses" What is ignored is the fact that most people use the opposites of that browser & OS.

Help the person with the problem, providing alternatives are great but it will not fix her current problem. If the host file is corrupted, it will affect both IE & FF. For example, before requesting a lookup from the ISP, the browser will first look at the local host.

If the OS see's any entry like
Google.com 216.23.32.11 (any IP)

Any Ip can be inserted to represent google. real or not.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I just googled, "percentage tax Canada package cigarettes" and went to the site
titled "Cost of cigarettes in Canada" and got hit with the virus (I recognize it as I
have had to deal with it before) Antivirus 2009. Just a heads up. I bailed out
without clicking anything (Cont-Alt-Del) and escaped uninfected. Clicking on
anything (even the "X" to close the dam thing) would infect your computer...

It's a drive-by and it's a bear to get rid of....I've hit it before on a credit card
application site a couple of months ago. It's an ugly one and it's rearing its ugly
head again.