Ralph's Clean Burning Coal show

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Ralph’s Ode to Alberta probably cost a quarter million dollars of Conservative Coin. That has to be a feel good thing. Buy your way to popularity; works everywhere.

On his key note of turning coal into gas to achieve good, healthy burning:

Alberta Research was involved in this process 15 years ago and the Conservatives found it to be worthless and fired every one involved with it. Current views from people involved in that first program points to a public relations show with little or no substance.

Don’t believe any of it until you see it and keep your investment dollars in your pockets!

John Clark

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
I thought the big buy-off was those "prosperity cheques"?

Clark, as the resident guru on all things hidden in the oil industry, what is the story on how carcinogenic all those sour-gas flares are?

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Good question.

Some 12 years ago the Government ask the Alberta Research Centre to do a study on the effects of sour gas emissions on the livestock around the country.

A Doctor from the ARC worked on the project over two years and his findings were conclusive.

Not only sour gas but all gas flares has a cocktail of unburned and changed hydro carbons in them that were totally carcinogenic and, most were already on the carcinogen list.

I wrote to Mr. Klein on this asking when the details of the study would be released to the public. He thanked me for my interest (was still writing to me at the time) and passed the letter onto Alberta Environment for reply. There was copies to 11 ministers on his reply.

Alberta environment had the study and buried it and, they never replied.

Some situation triggered a second question by me to Dear Ralph on the same subject and the oil companies came back with a "new" cleaner flare plan. I live next to an active refinery and the only change I could see was they changed their flare times to midnight to 2 AM.

I talked to the guys at the refinery and they told me no changes had been made, some one had asked them to flare late.

To fix the problem would have been an expense on every flare. I would guess a contraption on the bottom of the flare for a primary hi temp burn and a second or a third chamber to give it a secondary burn. Electricity would be a candidate but, then you would have an ozone problem.

The Alberta Research Centre also got involved in the Data Mining in a big way when it came out; their centre being on oil and gas as is everything else in this province. This data mining turned up health risks across the province.

All the years this information was kept from the public, it got into the hands of the insurance companies hence, the Pincher Creek disparity.

I challenged Ralph that he was knowingly killing people and he was criminal in doing so.

These letters are posted in the Archives of Welcome to Ralph's world in the Ralphs Archives Can get you copies if you can't find them.

cyberclark

Electoral Member
This ties nice with Ralph's other favorite coal bed methane. Trick is that fresh water is pumped into the coal bed to force the gas out. Then the water being totaly contaminated with the very worst of metals comes back up into the water aquifer.

After this process the water aquifer is good for absolutly nothing. Alberta Research has been playing with this for the last 15 years and have come up with nothing.

Work now is how to best BS the public. They have given up on a clean process especially with the dwindling water supply.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: Ralph's Clean Burning

The entire energy industry here in Alberta is a complete evironmental disgrace. In the communities of Sherwood Park and Fort Saskatchewan, located on the outskirts of Edmonton have the highest ahsma rates in the world. Also they have some of the highest rates of MS and types of cancer. Most of the plants have a work till 55 retirement policy, as they don't expect most of their employees to live too much past the age of 65. A few years ago when they were expanding Fort Saskatchewan they found a major deposit of barrels burried in the ground from Dow chemicals. The Barrels contained Agent orange, a defoliant used as a chemical warfare weapon by the the US during Vietnam. After the war was over, the excess was burried near the city without being marked or even well documented. These aren't isolated incidents as Canada is a very large company, and corporations dump chemicals on private land and burry them to side step expensive disposal fees. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have the balls to hold these industries accountable for their shady unethical business practices, and the fines associated with these dumps and air polution aren't nearly close to the cost of the disposal, so they're willing to just break the law because it's more cost effective.

The funny part is that Sherwood Park is a fairly wealthy community, but they live right in a toxic cloud 24/7, never move there.

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Yes you are right on the money. This conservative crew has been focused on the bottom line being returned to the oil companies and have never had any concern for the environment.

On the coal bed methane it should be part of their regulation to take water samples before they start and continue samples at the same sites, up and down stream every 20 days there after. If the oil companies and the Government wont do it then, people should take their own samples, date them and store them away.

Coal bed methane is especially bad as the process leaches all the heavy metals from the coal. All deadly.

An act to watch here is the Sundance coal generation station. They dug away the back side of the plant propety away from the highway. They opened up the water aquifer in their efforts.

This contaminated the water for 100 km down stream. People in the villages south of the plant havn't been able to drink their water for years yet, the Conservatives are every bodys baby.

I think the net is going to be the place to hold them accountable.

I wished some lawyers would pick up on these posts and start a class action for huge receoveries.

I'll help them source their documents!