Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In my opinion, extremism in any religion is dangerous.

:arrow: Islamic Extremism
In terms of Islamic extremism, we have, of course, seen examples thereof brought to the forefront in recent years; the World Trace Center bombings are likely the most prominent examples of terrorism exercised by an extremist sect of what should be quite a peace-advocating religion, according to the texts and more moderate interpretations exercised in North America.

The danger posed by Islamic extremism tends to be obvious and overt; physical manifestations of violence are the prime source of fear of Islamic extremism as being "dangerous", and rightly so. There is definite cause for concern abroad; however, we are lucky to have Muslims living in Canada and the United States of America who choose to exercise their religions within the framework of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the relevent American legislation.

:!: Christian Extremism

This type of extremism is of particular concern to me; it is more covert and systematic, in my opinion, then the extremism of other religions. Extremist Christians are known for attempting to force their religion upon others, systematically; passages from religious texts are often, in my opinion, manipulated to serve the agenda of the Religious Right¹.

This type of extremism is, in my opinion, extremely dangerous. For example, take Fred Phelps; he manipulated the Bible to make it seem as though Christians had a religious obligation to be in favour of the murder of Matthew Shepard, running about cities advocating slogans such as "Matt Shepard Rots in Hell", "AIDS Kills Fags Dead", and "God Hates Fags". They even had the audacity to picket the man's funeral services with their hateful messages. Or perhaps Heather Stilwell who, in Canada, attempted to have books that disagreed with fundamentalist Christianity removed from schools (those dealing with Hallowe'en, the Wicca religion, or native-Indian spirituality — I cannot believe this one; she attempted to ban another form of spirituality from schools because it wasn't Christian).

I find that type of extremist particularly disturbing and dangerous; but perhaps on these points I am biased. I have my own personal reasons to be concerned about how Christian extremism could affect my life on a legal level and, therefore, I find both forms of extremism to be equally dangerous — however, in very different ways.

:!: Revision : Footnote
¹ By the "Religious Right" in this opinion, I refer exclusively to Christians on the "extremist" side of the spectrum — not a majority of Christians, just as I would suggest that not a majority of Muslims are extremist.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Five I agree with you, the Holy Roller Brigade is very dangerous. The are high functioning members of a community, they have a voice in government and they can afford to pay to get what they want.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Radicals: Christian o

I think about it this way:

Islam is what?...600 years younger than christianity......now what exactly were those happy little band of christian brothers doing 600 years ago?....

oh yeah thats right, they were burning non-believers and "witches" at the stake....oh and systematically murdering a continent's worth of human beings for nothing more than being in their way.

So to sumise...who do I think the more dangerous?...with their record?...radical christians, I'd personally like to look at the figures comparing the deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan compared to that of suicide bombers.

now dont get me wrong, what these suicide bombers do is completly abhorrent.....but it is usually condemned by the large majority of respectible muslims.....now the war on terror/Bush's war on kaffirs is pretty much backed by the largest christian nation on the planet.....and the religious battles before were backed by their current popes.

so no.....radical christianity is the acceptable face of radicalism....why?.....I think it's because it is a white face

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Dez good post and no argument from me. Where you hoping for a little scrap if so let me state Hockey sucks and I pray that a strike takes place next year. Respectively Sassy.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hey, that would free up the television on the living room!

Stupid father and his constant "He shoots he scores!" He thinks he's a parrot, me thinks.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Feel free to moan about Hockey all you like....and cheers guys, but nope.....I know next to nothing about Hockey.......it just happens to be my family name (shhhh dont shout that one out!!!)....suprisingly it's the Daz bit that has nothing to do with me.

Nova Scotia legend has it my great-great-great grand-uncle Sgt. John or George? (cant remember myself) Hockey is supposed to have made his men play Hockey on the ice laiden feilds to the north...and it was originally called "Hockey's game"....thats the fokelore from Nova Scotia anyway lol

so nope, argueing either way between muslim and christian radical is a bit of a minefeild and there can never be a "better" one if either have commited such brutal acts in the name of either religion.....just remember it took Adolf Hitler to change must christian minds about jews, muslims havent had that "luxury"

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hockey how cool is that for a last name. I live in Hockeyville, Windsor NS. The world is becoming an ugly place all in the name of Allah and Christ. Makes ya wonder what really is behind all this unrest.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Doesn't Islam state that Allah is God, and that Muslims are to acknowledge the existence and prominence of Jesus Christ? Where do the huge differences between the two religions begin? ...or is the current divide perhaps the result of unfortunately regional circumstance?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Actually I think Judaism, Islam and Christianity is all the same. Just diffusion from centuries of change since the one before it was created because in the Middle East in prayers, Allah is used by Christians and Jews as well because it means god.

Judaism 2,000 years B.C

Christianity 33 A.D

Islam 630 A.D

They are very similar and have differences to each that make them different but one in the same as well.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Upheaval and chaos and the destruction of empires (America) maybe, it could be other empires? Maybe we are entering into a new age of religious wars.

As a soldier, it will get interesting. :wink:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

seriously?...there's a "Hockeyville"? hehehe sounds like bad comedy, gotta tell my friends that....I'll say "yes it's true....there is a village somewhere populated by Hockey's...it's called Hockeyville" and I wouldnt be lying!!......you must have known it wasnt named after the game too sassylassie.

and in a serious note, I think it has little or nothing to do with Christ or Allah or Muhammed anymore..it's more about stubon people who will not change their minds....watch kevin Smith's Dogma, he's right, we should not have faith because it implies an unwillingness to change, we should have an "idea" that allows for flexability...just like a couple of other religions

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
What amazes me is when I went to RC church I would of fought to get out of the Church but would never of fought for the Church.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Re: RE: Radicals: Christian o

Daz_Hockey said:
I think about it this way:

Islam is what?...600 years younger than christianity......now what exactly were those happy little band of christian brothers doing 600 years ago?....

oh yeah thats right, they were burning non-believers and "witches" at the stake....oh and systematically murdering a continent's worth of human beings for nothing more than being in their way.

So to sumise...who do I think the more dangerous?...with their record?...radical christians, I'd personally like to look at the figures comparing the deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan compared to that of suicide bombers.

now dont get me wrong, what these suicide bombers do is completly abhorrent.....but it is usually condemned by the large majority of respectible muslims.....now the war on terror/Bush's war on kaffirs is pretty much backed by the largest christian nation on the planet.....and the religious battles before were backed by their current popes.

so no.....radical christianity is the acceptable face of radicalism....why?.....I think it's because it is a white face
************************************************************************************

You cannot take Islam of today and simply subtract 600 years thereby excusing their violence.

Let start by saying:

It's 1406 in Islam, so they are entitled to act in barbaric way. No.
If it's 1406 in the ME, take them back to 1406. No cars, no phones, no airplanes, no modern conveniences at all. THEN, they might be entitled to act the way they do - if that is all they had ever known.
You're putting a DVD in a camel's mouth. Won't work. They know better, so why aren't they doing better?

Uncle

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
What way do they act?

That is interesting.

They are not barbarians the majority 99% of them. They live in modernized cities and live rich lives so what is the way they act?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
unclepercy, I don't think that Daz_Hockey was using the age of Islam as justification, rather I think it was only a segue into the barbaric acts of pre-modern Christianity (and it should be noted that I have no doubt that such sects of Christianity continue to exist today).

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I would suggest this uncle percy..."they"...you cannot possibly suggest that EVERY muslim feels the same way as the 9/11 suicide bombers.

I was simply using it as an oximoron if you will....but hell yes you could use it as a justification, why not?....so were now more sophisticated monkeys with bigger more powerful toys...does that not make us MORE dangerous than the equivilant age in christianity?, and if those people were around today?...and had...say, a H-Bomb to hand...would they use it to wipe out the infidel?...EVERYONE KNOWS THE ANSWER TO THAT CAN ONLY BE A UNANAMOUS YES.