Racial profiling?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Some Muslim guys called Osama and Ali were arrested for having bought hundreds of pre-paid cell phones.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14312048/

“The cell phones can be used as detonators. Batteries can be disassembled and used to make methamphetamine. Obviously there’s something wrong here,” Caro Police Chief Ben Page said.

Is this abuse?
What does methamphetamine have to do with terrorism?
Would these guys have been suspicious if they were "normal" white guys?

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org
No doubt that this is racial profiling. I think that if I went to Walmart tonight and bought 80 cell phones, I can guarantee that the police aren't going to pick me up. It is more likely that they are marking up the prices and reselling them. It's called a sales business.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Did ethier of you read the artical? it says they had Information on a target......

I wouldnt call it racial profiling....Racial profiling would be like oh this Muslim/Arab guy wants to cross the border better hold him and serch him for 3 days, becasue he is arab. But from what ti seems in this artical the cops had legitment reason for the arrest.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org
Re: RE: Racial profiling?

EastSideScotian said:
Did ethier of you read the artical? it says they had Information on a target......

I wouldnt call it racial profiling....Racial profiling would be like oh this Muslim/Arab guy wants to cross the border better hold him and serch him for 3 days, becasue he is arab. But from what ti seems in this artical the cops had legitment reason for the arrest.

But they also had evidence that they were going to resell them.

As for the second part, I'm sure it is quite common and sad at the same time. It reminds me of how Canada treated the Japanese during WWII.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

EastSideScotian said:

Notice I only asked questions, not post an opinion.

I don't know whether this is racial profiling or not and perhaps I never will if they don't give more information than that. But I don't see how simply buying cell phones should be a legitimate reason for arresting someone.

And I repeat my question... What the hell does methamphetamine have to do with terrorism?

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
I know the Germans gave them out to eleite troops in war as a stimulant, and that in Iraq, Amerians soldiers have had killed Insurgents on the drug, which was mixed with other drugs to give them a little boost, and allow them to take alot a bullets before actully dieing.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
This whole thing is weird. It happened not far from where I live (just across Lake St.Clair in Michigan) and I have been listening to the news about it all day. First, they had 1000 cell phones. The phones, batteries and chargers were all taken out of their boxes and separated into their components. Wal-Mart only allows 3 phones to be sold at a time. Three men had puchased 80 phones at a Wal-Mart, the clerk was suspicious and called police. The phones are untraceable and can be used to make bomb components. Also they had photos and video footage of Macinac bridge. Mabey they are innocent, but this is sure suspicious. Better safe than sorry. If they are innocent I hope they are freed.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Why would anyone use batteries to make methamphetamine? And why would they bother buying cellphones, why wouldn't they just buy batteries?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Getting back to racial profiling. If my store is held up three times and it is all by crackheads,should I pay more attention to crackheads entering or treat them the same as that woman with the baby carriage? The crackheadsof course. Profiling is a tool no matter if it is the criteria is race,weight,height,dress etc.People who would treat all the same are deluding themselves and possibly killing innocent civilians. Maybe even ones that aren't white. What a tragedy that would be.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I didn't know crackhead was a race. Speaking of crackheads every one I've ever seen is white. I will ask my local RCMP detachment to profile whites age 18-25. Pull them over if they are driving anything older than a 1996 Cavalier and interrogate indefinitely for the use of illegal substances.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Kreskin said:
I didn't know crackhead was a race. Speaking of crackheads every one I've ever seen is white. I will ask my local RCMP detachment to profile whites age 18-25. Pull them over if they are driving anything older than a 1996 Cavalier and interrogate indefinitely for the use of illegal substances.

You don't have to ask them, thay already do.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Just the Facts said:
Kreskin said:

Good to hear. I saw a 20-ish white guy walking down our street today. I thought about phoning the cops. Instead I followed him with a few other neighbours. We shouted "get lost, go back to the crackhouse where you belong!".

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org

Kreskin said:
Just the Facts said:
Kreskin said:

Good to hear. I saw a 20-ish white guy walking down our street today. I thought about phoning the cops. Instead I followed him with a few other neighbours. We shouted "get lost, go back to the crackhouse where you belong!".

Too bad Israel doesn't bomb crackheads.

Liz

Nominee Member
Aug 9, 2006
Newfoundland
Did anyone consider that the media plays things up a bit. Of course you can get a rise out of people if you make something out to be controvercial. Perhaps there is information conveniently being left out or situations being taken out of context to make it appear to be a racial issue. (Although it likely is a classic example of racism, we still need to take a long hard look at our sources before we get worked up.)

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
We all profile. Whether by race, religion, age or attitude we all do it. Is there a young white woman in the land that doesn't hold her purse tighter when passing by a group of young blacks in Toronto? Is there a homeowner who doesn't ignore the door when he's seen Jehovah's Witnesses canvassing the street? Is there a business owner who doesn't pay more attention as three kids enter his convenience store? Profiling is a product of human intelligence. Poopooing it is a product of cultural conditioning.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The human animal has accumulated admirable survival skills built on the ability to profile and stereotype. How else do you know to sense danger? How else do you sensibly exercise caution? It's becomes instinctive. Some profiling has become an issue in our society but it must be appreciated that profiling stems from an intelligence moulded by long centuries of playing the survival game well.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled

Kreskin said:
Just the Facts said:
Kreskin said:

Hey--that was me!