Quick Pickles...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't process fruit for anywhere near that long. I only do fruit for 20 min. As long as it seals it's fine. Same with my tomatoes. We use a tbsp. of lemon in the tomatoes to make them more acidic. Again - as long as they seal it's all good. I wouldn't do veggies without a pressure cooker and I'm a little scared of them. Had a school teacher that had one blow up in his face and while I'm sure they are much safer now - they still scare me. He was a real mess. I canned a whole salmon one time. We had so much we were giving it away. Once was enough. We prefer canned tuna and when I can buy white tuna for $1.29 a can, it's not worth the trouble to can it.
Haven't made pickles for years and it never occurred to me to re-use the brine so I will have to try it.

Vanisle when we re-used the Vlassic pickle juice it was never meant to keep for a long time. It was just a quick way to get another big jar of pickles. We will keep them in the fridge till they are gone......God, they are half gone now. What the hell, food is meant to be eaten.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The beauty of having a farm is that I don't have to buy pickles or jam or canned
fruit or tomatos. We just can our own. The great snack item is to pickle
really small carrots, green beans, and small pieces of cauliflower. Put them in
small jars and it is a great snack item during hockey games.
We make no less than a hundred jars of pickles, but then we have 23 grandchildren
so the go quickly

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The beauty of having a farm is that I don't have to buy pickles or jam or canned
fruit or tomatos. We just can our own. The great snack item is to pickle
really small carrots, green beans, and small pieces of cauliflower. Put them in
small jars and it is a great snack item during hockey games.
We make no less than a hundred jars of pickles, but then we have 23 grandchildren
so the go quickly

I haven't been on a farm since I was a kid but when our kids were growing up we used to can a couple dozen jars of garlic dill pickles, at least a dozen jars of bread and butter pickles,(better than Vlassic) along with assorted jams and jellies and home canned salmon. A loaf of home made bread and you had a meal in minutes. I miss those days. We still can stuff but not nearly as much as we used to.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Better to be safe than sorry. Until/unless we get a pressure canner we'll can veggies and fruits at 40 minutes, cooked meats at 90 minutes, and raw meats at 2 hours.
We like home canned stuff, but if someone wants those sweet types of pickles they can get their own.
A Danish friend in the Okanagan makes delicious pickled herrings and I got his recipe, but hering was easier to get in the OK than here so I use local fish of whatever type.

Pickled herring recipe:

2 lb salt herring
¾ cup white vinegar
¾ cup water
a bay leaf
2 cloves of garlic
¼ tsp dill seed
¼ tsp allspoice
¼ tsp peppercorns
⅓ cup sugar

Soak herring for 24 hours and change the water 2 or 3 times.

Boil the ¾ cup of vinegar, ¾ cup of water and add the seasonings and onion until the onion is soft.

Rinse the fillets and pat dry with paper towels or something.

Remove the onion and slice onto the fillets and then roll the fillets up lengthwise.

Cut the lengths to fit whatever size jars you use and fit them into the jars, covering them with the pickling juice.

Cap and process to seal the caps.

It's best to let them refrigerate for a couple weeks before storing or eating.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Better to be safe than sorry. Until/unless we get a pressure canner we'll can veggies and fruits at 40 minutes, cooked meats at 90 minutes, and raw meats at 2 hours.
We like home canned stuff, but if someone wants those sweet types of pickles they can get their own.
A Danish friend in the Okanagan makes delicious pickled herrings and I got his recipe, but hering was easier to get in the OK than here so I use local fish of whatever type.

Pickled herring recipe:

2 lb salt herring
¾ cup white vinegar
¾ cup water
a bay leaf
2 cloves of garlic
¼ tsp dill seed
¼ tsp allspoice
¼ tsp peppercorns
⅓ cup sugar

Soak herring for 24 hours and change the water 2 or 3 times.

Boil the ¾ cup of vinegar, ¾ cup of water and add the seasonings and onion until the onion is soft.

Rinse the fillets and pat dry with paper towels or something.

Remove the onion and slice onto the fillets and then roll the fillets up lengthwise.

Cut the lengths to fit whatever size jars you use and fit them into the jars, covering them with the pickling juice.

Cap and process to seal the caps.

It's best to let them refrigerate for a couple weeks before storing or eating.

Pickled herring are among my favorite foods. I can eat Roll Mops for dessert. The very next herring season I'm going to salt and sugar cure and smoke a batch of kippers. I would also like to put down a few jars of pickled herring.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
pickle vendor in NYC:

we had so many of these back in the old days in NYC & Brooklyn

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Sussman's pickle shop on Blake & Sheffield Avenue, Brooklyn:

Mr Sussman was very nice to me and my mom. Always had the freshest and most delicious pickles anywhere. And they were kosher!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Thanks for reviving this thread! I had no idea you could re-use pickle juice this way.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Here's something from the past - in fact, from way out of left field = baseball players were society's first recyclers: we used to save pickle juice, keep it cool, and take it with us on hot summer days when playing baseball. If you were overheated by the sun, it gave you a quick pickup and helped keep you cool for the rest of the game. It was the best refresher we had back then before Gatorade. No need to use stuff that's made in a test tube - as always Nature provides the best medicine. :)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Yup, but why bother?

Cheap is in my blood. Most people like to say they're doing good for the environment or pretend they're being crafty and martha stewart like. I'd say the same, but I"m pretty sure it's cause I'm cheap.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Cheap is in my blood. Most people like to say they're doing good for the environment or pretend they're being crafty and martha stewart like. I'd say the same, but I"m pretty sure it's cause I'm cheap.

It's cheaper to buy the ingredients and start from scratch.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's cheaper to buy the ingredients and start from scratch.

No. It's not. It costs a fraction of the original ingredients and it is a simple, cheap, way to get a jar of good pickles for almost no money.

Last edited:

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
A few months ago my wife bought a large(read huge) jar of Vlassic Bread and Butter Pickles. These pickles are American I believe but they are great pickles. I took the last pickle out of the jar the day before yesterday and at the same time I noticed that we had several large cucumbers in the fridge. What I did was to pour all the pickle juice and spices into large saucepan with a lid. I added a bit of white vinegar and a couple teaspoons of sugar and put it on the stove to heat.
In the meantime I washed the cucumbers and sliced them like the original pickles. I washed out the pickle jar and sterilized it and the lid with boiling water. I then put the sliced cucumbers in the jar along with a few slices of onion. I then poured the boiling hot pickle juice over the cucumbers etc in the jar and filled the jar to the brim. I put on the lid finger tight and let it cool on the side board until the lid popped in. At that time I tightened the lid. I will leave these pickles in the fridge for about a week and a half and I will have pickles as good as the originals.
I've done this before and it works pretty good. I don't think I would do it more than once with the same pickle juice...

Just as an aside, the original jar of pickles was six or seven dollars. The pickles I just made cost a buck or two so if you have the time....It's worth it....;-):lol:

Genius....what a great idea.

Now I cry at the thought of all the pickle juice I have dumped down the drain.