Question for Nurses or Doctors

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
Turns out I have a fatty liver. I have been about 20 pounds over weight for a while now and have found it near impossible to loose the weight, no matter what I do...I've only lost 2 pounds in 5 months. I am eating the foods that are apparently good for liver function (carrots, radishes, avocado, lemon juice...) and I avoiding (as well as I can) the food I'm not supposed to have.

My questions is...I've heard that Lecithin can be very good for liver function. My doctor seems to be indifferent to this, but I need to do what I can, as having this fatty liver has apparently had a hand in my failure to loose weight. Plus, my husband and I want to start trying to have a baby, but I want to be at a good healthy weight to start with.

So...what do you know about Lecithin and how beneficial can it be? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Try this: eat a balanced intake of about 1200 calories per day, and get 45 min to 1.5 hrs of good exercise.

See how much weight you lose.

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
Try this: eat a balanced intake of about 1200 calories per day, and get 45 min to 1.5 hrs of good exercise.

See how much weight you lose.

I tried following the food guide info. and I even tried cutting my calories back to 1,000 :-( . I exercise daily as much as I can (about 45 minutes in total)...I have a back issue...but like I said...the liver issue can hinder weight loss and I've been told to try eating right for the liver and get that into shape. My diet right now is actually really good. I eat the foods they have on the list and I avoid the ones they tell you to stay off.

I'm interested to know if Lecithin can actually help or if it's a waste of time. I've read things on the internet about it, but most of those site also sell the suppliment, so I'm sceptical.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Josephine:

If I were in your position, I would talk to a nutritionist - but only after consulting with my G.P. They are trained, they are disinterested (in the sense that they have nothing to gain other than your continued good health) and they are accountable.

If they tell you the wrong thing and something bad happens, they must answer to their governing bodies.

Think about how important your liver is - now think about taking a supplement that is supposed to change how it works. Why would you not talk to a doctor first?

Pangloss

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Josephine,
This is something I know a little about - liver trouble. It was discovered that my enzymes were too
high many years ago. I worried myself sick. It was NOT hepatitis. I read somewhere that milk thistle
is good for your liver; so I started taking it about 5 years ago. Recently I got a perfect liver count.
I can't guarantee it will work for you, but I think it's pretty harmless. In the states, it's about $8
for 60 at Walmart.

Uncle

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
Josephine:

If I were in your position, I would talk to a nutritionist - but only after consulting with my G.P. They are trained, they are disinterested (in the sense that they have nothing to gain other than your continued good health) and they are accountable.

If they tell you the wrong thing and something bad happens, they must answer to their governing bodies.

Think about how important your liver is - now think about taking a supplement that is supposed to change how it works. Why would you not talk to a doctor first?

Pangloss

Hi Pangloss.

I did talk to my doctor. She basically said not to worry and I could try Lecithin if I wanted and that it may or may not help. I have my first appointment with a nutritionist next Tuesday, which I'm looking forward to! I've done some research on the liver and I know how crucial it is...so I don't want to let this go...especially since I hope to get pregnant in the next little while.:smile: