Question for Christians: your thughts on Christian anarchism?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I believe Nietzsche had the most coherent thought with regards to Christian Anarchism

"What is bad? ...all that proceeds from weakness, from envy, from revenge. -The anarchist and the Christian have the same ancestry..." "There is a perfect likeness between Christian and anarchist: their object, their instinct, points only toward destruction... "The Christian and the anarchist: both are decadents; both are incapable of any act that is not disintegrating, poisonous, degenerating, blood-sucking; both have an instinct of mortal hatred of everything that stands up, and is great, and has durability, and promises life a future..."

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
"It doesn't matter what religion (or philosophy) a man espouses as long as he lives a good and simple life."
- Sylvan Kolesnikov, an 18th Century religious thinker.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It's interesting to compare Christian anarchism (see previous posts) and Islamic thought on anarchism

Islamic anarchism is based on an interpretation of Islam as "submission to God" which either prohibits or decisively limits the role of human authority. Muslim anarchists believe that only Allah has authority over humanity and reject a submissive compliance to the fatwas of Imams, relying instead on the concept of Ijtihad for a non-authoritarian interpretation of Islam. This is further elaborated by the Islamic concept of "no compulsion in religion".

They both tend towards the "base" nature of their philosophy vs the contrived meaning of the 21st century

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
It's interesting to compare Christian anarchism (see previous posts) and Islamic thought on anarchism

Islamic anarchism is based on an interpretation of Islam as "submission to God" which either prohibits or decisively limits the role of human authority. Muslim anarchists believe that only Allah has authority over humanity and reject a submissive compliance to the fatwas of Imams, relying instead on the concept of Ijtihad for a non-authoritarian interpretation of Islam. This is further elaborated by the Islamic concept of "no compulsion in religion".

They both tend towards the "base" nature of their philosophy vs the contrived meaning of the 21st century

Exactly!

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Christian anarchists believe that freedom is justified spiritually through the teachings of Jesus. This has caused them to be critical of government and Church authority. Some believe all individuals can directly communicate with God, which negates the need for a system of clergy.

That's one opinion

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Some of my favorite Nietzsche quotes..

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

"Enemies of truth.-- Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."

"Linguistic danger to spiritual freedom.-- Every word is a prejudice."

"Over immense periods of time the intellect produced nothing but errors. A few of these proved to be useful and helped to preserve the species: those who hit upon or inherited these had better luck in their struggle for themselves and their progeny. Such erroneous articles of faith... include the following: that there are things, substances, bodies; that a thing is what it appears to be; that our will is free; that what is good for me is also good in itself."

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Don't sweat it Cliff. Only a true "bible thumper" waiting for the rapture wouldn't know the difference. But for the kids benefit (and hopeful better understanding)

Christian anarchists believe that freedom is justified spiritually through the teachings of Jesus. This has caused them to be critical of government and Church authority. Some believe all individuals can directly communicate with God, which negates the need for a system of clergy.
Like your prayer for salvation when you are moments away from death. That doesn't mean the communication has to be acknowledged right at that moment on God's part, you might get a check-mark where there wasn't one before though. Then you can feel what a Jew feels, that God isn't going to rescue them before they bite the dust.