Quebec's Language Police Upset Over Legal "On The Run" Convenience Store Name

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Sparrow:
You don't insult anyone with your post (at least, not me) but you clearly demonstrate your do not understand the first line (should I say the first word) of the reasons the language laws were introduced.

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
This law has limited the possibilities of many French Quebecers and I think that is morally wrong. Seems to me they should want their children to have more opportunities for the future, in the world today people are learning more than one language and don't tell me English is well taught in the French schools because that is a CROCK I know from first hand experience. .

Good post. The opposite also holds true. Many of us send our kids to English schools as we don't want them to lose their right to send their kids to English schools. Far as I know, there is no grandfather clause in bill 101. Also, with today's global economy, I want my kids to master their English before even considering learning a second language.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Quebec's Language Police Upset Over Legal "On The Run" Convenience Store Name

Sparrow:
You don't insult anyone with your post (at least, not me) but you clearly demonstrate your do not understand the first line (should I say the first word) of the reasons the language laws were introduced.

Maybe I was not clear the biggest word is CONSEQUENCES, the reason died out long ago but the consequences are long lasting. I remember the day Bill 101 was passed, I was working and a man pretty high up in management in the company came into my office, looked at me and laughed and said "We sure got you English didn't we!" I answered him "No, you got yourselves I can still choose the education language of my children but you cannot, you right has been trampled on not mine!" You should have seen his face, he had never through of it that way. The consequences can be seen in our ecomony, outside inventors are not coming into the province because of Bill 101 and we need inventments because there are not enough Quebecers who can invest on that scale. What I see in this run of the language police is that this company does a lot of business all over Quebec and they knew that they would not take there business out of Quebec so they felt free to do what they wanted. However this does not send a good message to outsiders and you can bet that the news will travel and again some will choose to go to other provinces. As far as I am concerned it is too bad because Quebecers are good workers and would be assets for many industries. Don't get me wrong, I was born here in Quebec, and I love Quebec. There is no one big enough to make me leave here, I will fight for my place here in Quebec.

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
Typical freaking out over nothing.

The OLF knows full well that On the Run is a trademark protected by international treaties, and thus they have to intention of trying to force Esso to change any names. They don't have the power to do so. What they are talking about are ways to encourage comanies to voluntarily francisise their insignias and logos the way KFC did many years ago (by operating under the PFK logo). It's not so much being anti-english as much as it is being pro-french. Most Quebeckers, anglo and franco, are proud to live in a primarily French-speaking enclave in North America, and as such, they want their environment to reflect that. It's inevitable that we'll see American-style convenient stores in Quebec, like in the rest of North America, but they least they can do is french up their signs a bit. No one's forcing them, no one can.

And I think I already saw a new insignia for On the Run in the Montreal hockey rink on TV... it says Marché Express with the same red wavelines underneath. Big deal.