Quebec Language Police Harassing Popular Italian Restaurant

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
So let me see if I get this right… all over Canada people are forced to learn French as a second language to keep a minority of French Canadians happy, but in Quebec there is a ‘language’ police to ensure no other language but French in used?

Language police??? Seriously??

No doubt paid for by the Canadian tax payer.
No not at all , this is a provincial thing

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yes you are.... Most Qubecers don't give a damn....only those that make the news

We can talk about the prejudice of Quebec all day , but from what I have seen and heard it is pretty much everywhere in Canada.
It is easy to single out because they speak a different language... again prejudice..
I heard there is a certain problem in BC with the Chinese community of a simular nature.... people are going to swear that nothing was done about it .... Quebec ... well bash it for any reason you wish , but it seems to be ahead of certain problems in this area.

Could be because everything is so obviously slanted in Quebec's favor. Many federal jobs require proficiency in French but not English. Equalization transfers are rigged in such a manor that Quebec gets money and yet has social programs that those of us that pay the bills cannot afford. Even representation in Parliament is rigged in Quebec's favor. Bilingual labels are just there to pis$ off everyone outside of Quebec.
If you live in the west, from a business perspective it would be far better to learn a Chinese dialect rather than French yet we have French rammed down our throats largely thanks to true dough.

So let me see if I get this right… all over Canada people are forced to learn French as a second language to keep a minority of French Canadians happy, but in Quebec there is a ‘language’ police to ensure no other language but French in used?

Language police??? Seriously??

No doubt paid for by the Canadian tax payer.

We are not exactly forced to learn French but there are many things that are forced on us simply to appease Quebec because of it's large number of votes. Much of it costs us money for no other reason. And Yes Quebec does have a language police whose job is to make sure that among other things all signs in stores have more French than English and in many places the language in the workplace is French. But because it is quebec it is not discrimination.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
per se......:roll:

worse? It's a freaking job requirement. It isn't discrimination of any kind.:roll:

A job requirement imposed not based on demographics but the constitution. In BC Chinese would be more useful if it were just a job requirement for the govt.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A job requirement imposed not based on demographics but the constitution. In BC Chinese would be more useful if it were just a job requirement for the govt.

You don't have to speak french to get a job with the feds. Majority of federal employees do not speak both french and English.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You don't have to speak french to get a job with the feds. Majority of federal employees do not speak both french and English.

You do if you want to work to the highest levels. On that front it's clear a native speaker of French or English or both will have an edge over the one who speaks neither as a mother tongue.

And Gerryh, how do you explain the 2.4 billion. Ok, fine, then the 1.2 billion per language... yearly?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

True to a point. Higher up jobs usually require bilingual. But a native French speaker does NOT have to speak very good English whereas the English speaker MUSt sleak and write good French. This is even more prevalent in the armed forces.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But a native French speaker does NOT have to speak very good English whereas the English speaker MUSt sleak and write good French. This is even more prevalent in the armed forces.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that when they require bilingual it means bilingual. I'm sure they cut corners to cut costs somewhat and so might accept slightly lower standards for 'bilingual', but I never heard that it applies only one way.

Correction, I have heard that the French test is harder than the English one, but the source of this information was a litlte francophobic, so not a very objective source of info.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Federal and provincial bilingualism requirements cost Canadian taxpayers $2.4 billion annually; provinces spend $900 million to provide dual-language services | Fraser Institute

To be fair, that's 2.4 billion between 2 languages. But still, divided by two that's an average subsidy to our two dominant languages of 1.2 billion yearly.

To be fair, the real question that should be asked from that Fraser institute study is why it costs more money to educate a child in French than to educate them in English.

Also, why does the Fraser institute look at scholarships for people studying French as a special cost to associate with bilingualism? You can get scholarships to study French from US universities.

To me it looks like they had a dead horse that needed beating, a dry well that needed pumping, rocks that needed blood squeezed out of, a puppy that needed petting.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that when they require bilingual it means bilingual. I'm sure they cut corners to cut costs somewhat and so might accept slightly lower standards for 'bilingual', but I never heard that it applies only one way.

Correction, I have heard that the French test is harder than the English one, but the source of this information was a litlte francophobic, so not a very objective source of info.

When I worked for DND there were several supposedly bilingual Sr. non coms that I had to deal with whose English was incomprehensible, both written and oral. It was the general opinion of the military personnel I worked with that the rules are not equal.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
When I worked for DND there were several supposedly bilingual Sr. non coms that I had to deal with whose English was incomprehensible, both written and oral. It was the general opinion of the military personnel I worked with that the rules are not equal.
I can pretty much guarantee that.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

No, no, they are definitely equal. Equal but different. ;)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I'm not surprised, but I also would not be surprised to find the same the other way around with English-speakers stationed in Quebec. It could be something worth looking into I suppose. But either way, 1.2 billion per language yearly is still lots of money.

To be fair, the real question that should be asked from that Fraser institute study is why it costs more money to educate a child in French than to educate them in English.

Also, why does the Fraser institute look at scholarships for people studying French as a special cost to associate with bilingualism? You can get scholarships to study French from US universities.

To me it looks like they had a dead horse that needed beating, a dry well that needed pumping, rocks that needed blood squeezed out of, a puppy that needed petting.

Nope, it did not count things like second-language education since that would be normal. It was looking at bilingual government services specifically. Looking at it that way, the money spent on bilingual education in provincial public schools would actually bring the cost down by increasing the availability of bilingual human resources. Supply and demand.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Nope, it did not count things like second-language education since that would be normal. It was looking at bilingual government services specifically. Looking at it that way, the money spent on bilingual education in provincial public schools would actually bring the cost down by increasing the availability of bilingual human resources. Supply and demand.

Machjo, I read the actual study as opposed to the paraphrase of it you linked to. One of the examples from BC was the cost of educating a student in French. Let me quote part of it for you, so that you have the opportunity to understand I am telling you the truth without reading the article (but you should anyways):

If we focus on total expenses, we see that expenses per pupil are
$13,520 for the CSF and $8,043 on average for the Anglophone districts.3
Examining the expenses by function for the CSF and the Anglophone school
districts, we note the important difference in the per-student transporta-
tion cost, which are eight times higher for CSF students than for students
enrolled with Anglophone boards. The small number of Francophone stu-
dents across the province results in fewer students per teacher and per class.
In the Anglophone districts, there are 16.55 FTE students per teacher and
in the CSF, 12.2 FTE students per teacher (British Columbia, Ministry of
Education, 2007a).4 As for class size, in grades 8 to 12, there are 24.2 FTE
students per class in the Anglophone districts and 11.3 in the CSF (British
Columbia, Ministry of Education, 2007b).

Now that I inspect it again, they even give the answer I was looking for: fewer students per teacher and transport cost to get them to the more distant schools. The student to teacher ratio is something which most teachers have been trying to achieve through their unions for a long time because of how it increases the quality of education.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Um, as far as "founding nations" goes, neither the Brits nor the French were in North Am. North America was found a long time before either of those two arrogant and egotistical brands of humans popped into the scene. And those peoples that were here long before the Europeans came from Asia and South America. The Norse were even here before the Einglish and French.
Europeans in general developed the nation of Canada into a country. Besides the English and French, there were Dutch, Irish, Scots, Swedes, etc.
IMO, the entire issue of an "offical language" is trivial and regressive. If any such thing existed as an "official" language, it should be that which is used the most. And leave the sentimentality for the history books.
Oh, and French is no more in danger of disappearing in Quebec than it is in New Brunswick, Manitoba, Ontario, Louisiana, West Indies, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Haiti, Commonwealth of Dominica, etc. or even France, I'd bet.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Um, as far as "founding nations" goes, neither the Brits nor the French were in North Am. North America was found a long time before either of those two arrogant and egotistical brands of humans popped into the scene. And those peoples that were here long before the Europeans came from Asia and South America. The Norse were even here before the Einglish and French.
Europeans in general developed the nation of Canada into a country. Besides the English and French, there were Dutch, Irish, Scots, Swedes, etc.
IMO, the entire issue of an "offical language" is trivial and regressive. If any such thing existed as an "official" language, it should be that which is used the most. And leave the sentimentality for the history books.
Oh, and French is no more in danger of disappearing in Quebec than it is in New Brunswick, Manitoba, Ontario, Louisiana, West Indies, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Haiti, Commonwealth of Dominica, etc. or even France, I'd bet.

I wasn't even aware that North America was ever lost.