Quebec Election Outcome............

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There was nothing ''gracious'' about about the way the Brits acted following the conquest. It was a calculated and strategical move to let the French Canadians keep their civil laws and religion because if they had done otherwise, they would have have to deal with violent opposition from the people at large. They also wanted to make sure French Canadians wouldn't side with the Americans in their efforts towards independence. They chose peace for their own interest and that meant compromise. It wasn't out of some form of benevolence of any kind.

It was far more than the Brits had ever done for a conquered people.

I express my appreciation for the civilness of your post and you call that a slap in the face. What can I even respond to that?!

It's what is commonly referred to as a "back handed compliment".

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Truer words were never spoken............................Brats!

Ah the ''spoiled brat'' insult. It always works wonders when all else fails.

It was far more than the Brits had ever done for a conquered people.

Exactly. You know what the Brits were capable of with conquered people and yes French Canadians were quite lucky in that regard. But it sure wasn't out of kindness of the soul that they let our ancestors keep their religion and civil laws. It was by pure calculated self-interest.

It's what is commonly referred to as a "back handed compliment".

You're always the first to resort to crude and vulgar attacks and I was merely expressing how I was hoping you'd keep going as you started in that first post.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You're always the first to resort to crude and vulgar attacks and I was merely expressing how I was hoping you'd keep going as you started in that first post.

And you just cant let it go.. Makes me think that that is what you prefer

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Folks in Quebec have it pretty good. They remind me of the proverbial dog that chases a car without any intention of ever catching it.

They remind me more of government union workers with their high pay, low productivity and whining about how hard they have it while living off those that have less.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So we're back to what I pinpointed as being the main problem with this language issue, that is, Quebec's dual status as a state within a state. Or if you prefer, Quebec's status as a nation. A nation that's part of a nation is bound to create hierarchical tensions and this is exactly what we're dealing with. This conflict is not about individual rights. It's a tug-a-war of national egos.
Even as a nation within a nation, it is bound by Federal law, and is a part of Canada.

And should act as such.

Because you'd support a British law stating all children from 5 to 16 must go to an English school, you necessarily agree with the principal that it's OK for the state (as representative of the collectivity) to impose certain choices on its citizens and hinder their individual liberties (at least on that issue). That being said, England is pretty much only English, so the issue becomes very simple and isn't a source of conflict. Mind you, perhaps things aren't that simple... Welsh comes to mind.
Ireland too. I couldn't understand a lick of it.

That said, England is a predominantly English State. Quebec is not a State. It's a province that enjoys a distinct status at the pleasure of the Crown.

England and Quebec are not even remotely comparable.

Here in Canada there are two official languages so you apply the same logic and say that all children must be educated (at school) in either one of the languages and you focus on one's freedom to choose between English or French.
Yep, equally across the country.

As I already said, if Quebec already was a country, there wouldn't be an issue.
But it isn't, so your point is moot.

When it is, have at her.

ROCers can keep on yapping about how their ancestors beat ours 250 years ago, we'll just keep on yapping about how we don't give a ****. As a linguistic minority within Canada, we won't passively wait for our numbers to decline (proportionally speaking) as we gradually lose our influence, which is already happening anyway. It's cute and touching to say Canada is bilingual, but the hard fact remains that francophones represent only about 20-25% of the whole Canadian demography. In a context of clear anglophone numerical superiority (considering our not so subtle neighbour to the south), the risk is simply too real to gradually be swallowed up by the larger context. Language is the backbone of culture and Quebecers know that well. I'm sure First Nations are very aware of this too. So we've taken measures in our own hands to protect it and have given ourselves French as the sole official language of Quebec. We've acted upon this idea and our language laws are the result, for better or for worse.
Tough sh!t.

Until you're a nation, you abide by the countries rules.

But if you accuse my people of non violently defending our own sovereignty as a nation in the face of what I consider as Canadian interference in our own affairs, than you can expect me to brush off that accusation as I'd brush off a fly.
Quebec isn't a sovereign nation.

Let me know when it is, and you'll have a point.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Even as a nation within a nation, it is bound by Federal law, and is a part of Canada.

And should act as such.

Bound by federal law ''because Canada says so''?... Canada has authority over Quebec and you must accept it as such?!!... I'd love to see your reaction if I'd use the same type of talk towards First Nations. You sound a lot like Europeans as they first discovered America, planting christian crosses here and there, pompously declaring this land as belonging to an inbred freak king living across the ocean.

That said, England is a predominantly English State. Quebec is not a State. It's a province that enjoys a distinct status at the pleasure of the Crown.

AT THE PLEASURE OF THE CROWN?!!! You've got to be kidding me! Even if you tried, I don't think you could find a more non-effective argument against me. Using monarchical argumentation with me is the equivalent of trying to feed a lion with salad. Perhaps you've been brainwashed into British monarchical rhetoric. I haven't.

Until you're a nation, you abide by the countries rules.

So are we abiding to the country's rules? If we are, then what are we arguing about? If we aren't, then it seems Canada's authority over Quebec isn't worth that much...

Quebec isn't a sovereign nation.

Let me know when it is, and you'll have a point.

We don't need to wait for any form of political sovereignty to act according to what we consider our best interests. We're already doing that.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Bound by federal law ''because Canada says so''?... Canada has authority over Quebec and you must accept it as such?!!... I'd love to see your reaction if I'd use the same type of talk towards First Nations. You sound a lot like Europeans as they first discovered America, planting christian crosses here and there, pompously declaring this land as belonging to an inbred freak king living across the ocean.

AT THE PLEASURE OF THE CROWN?!!! You've got to be kidding me! Even if you tried, I don't think you could find a more non-effective argument against me. Using monarchical argumentation with me is the equivalent of trying to feed a lion with salad. Perhaps you've been brainwashed into British monarchical rhetoric. I haven't.

So are we abiding to the country's rules? If we are, then what are we arguing about? If we aren't, then it seems Canada's authority over Quebec isn't worth that much...

We don't need to wait for any form of political sovereignty to act according to what we consider our best interests. We're already doing that.

SO what are chances of you doing it without our money?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bound by federal law ''because Canada says so''?...
Yes. Quebec is a province in Canada.

Until it becomes a sovereign nation, whether Canada or other nations accept that, it can act any way it wants and accept the consequences of those actions.

Canada has authority over Quebec and you must accept it as such?!!...
So long as it wants to enjoy the benefits thereof, yes.

I'd love to see your reaction if I'd use the same type of talk towards First Nations.
The Six Nations are already a sovereign nation.

You sound a lot like Europeans as they first discovered America, planting christian crosses here and there, pompously declaring this land as belonging to an inbred freak king living across the ocean.
No I don't.

AT THE PLEASURE OF THE CROWN?!!! You've got to be kidding me!
Nope, Quebec was given the status at the pleasure of the Crown.

Even if you tried, I don't think you could find a more non-effective argument against me.
It's not an argument, it's a fact.

Using monarchical argumentation with me is the equivalent of trying to feed a lion with salad.
You aren't a lion.

Perhaps you've been brainwashed into British monarchical rhetoric.
Nope, I just now how it came to be.

I haven't.
Haven't what? Made an argument out of a fact?

So are we abiding to the country's rules?
Not really.

If we aren't, then it seems Canada's authority over Quebec isn't worth that much...
Squeaky bitches get lots of goodies. Works for handout Injins too.

We don't need to wait for any form of political sovereignty to act according to what we consider our best interests.
You do if those acts are contrary to the law, or infringe on the rights guaranteed by the Charter.

We're already doing that.
Like I said, squeaky bitches.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Yes. Quebec is a province in Canada.

True. But the fact that Canada has authority over Quebec remains debatable. There's no denying Canada does have a certain authority over Quebec. But to what extent? The concept of authority is not fixed in any form of quantifiable way and it's prone to be reinforced or weakened by the current of history. And we all know the concept is malleable by individual and collective perceptions. Does a teacher have authority over his students? I'm sure we can both agree that this is how it ought to be. But you know very well that's not always the case. The authority can be there only in principle while in fact it can be weak or even non-existent.

In the case of Quebec, as I said, Canada does have some authority over Quebec but when it comes to language, I think it's clear that Quebecers feel entitled to overrule that authority.

Until it becomes a sovereign nation, whether Canada or other nations accept that, it can act any way it wants and accept the consequences of those actions.

I agree. But if Quebec were to separate from Canada after a clear mandate to do so by the population (which I am far from convinced will ever happen), we wouldn't need Canada's approval to do so. We don't need your permission to become a country should we decide that is what we want. Does one need permission to put an end to a love relationship? No, that is part of one's right and capacity to self-determination. But that doesn't mean there are no consequences to deal with. As you folks rightfully like to remind us so often, we'd need to leave with our share of the national debt and there would be the inevitable question of territorial disputes.

So long as it wants to enjoy the benefits thereof, yes.

Again I mostly agree. But we're still talking about sometimes questionable authority and I won't repeat what I just said at the top of this post.

The Six Nations are already a sovereign nation.

Is that a fact? Do the Six Nations have a country? Do nations need a country of their own to be considered sovereign? Does a nation need the recognition of other nations to be sovereign? What if these other nations disagree among themselves? Who's ''authority'' prevails? All these questions emphasize the fact that sovereignty is a fluid concept and as it relates to the ever shifting reality of human political power struggles, it ought to be viewed with an open and cautious mind. All provinces in Canada are already sovereign to a certain extent, at least when it comes to provincial responsibilities.

No I don't.

To me you do. I don't see much difference with you telling me how the Crown has authority over my people and Europeans telling American natives the Crown had authority over them a few centuries ago.

Nope, Quebec was given the status at the pleasure of the Crown.

And the Crown's authority can be mocked at our pleasure.

It's not an argument, it's a fact.

The sun is a big ball of burning gas. That's a fact. It tends to be colder significantly colder in winter. That's a fact. Authority can always disputed.

You aren't a lion.

Now THAT'S a fact.

Nope, I just now how it came to be.

All that says is you accept the authority of the Crown. Good for you.

Haven't what? Made an argument out of a fact?

I meant, I haven't been brainwashed into monarchical rhetoric. I fully understand the political system status of Canada as a constitutional monarchy. And of course, I accept the facts of how the system is defined from a neutral point of view. That doesn't mean I agree nor accept the Crown's authority over my nation.

Not really.

So if we're not quite following the rules, that means Canada's (or the Crown's) authority over Quebec is not quite respected.

Squeaky bitches get lots of goodies. Works for handout Injins too.

Again. It seems this country does have authority problems.

You do if those acts are contrary to the law, or infringe on the rights guaranteed by the Charter.

Like I said, squeaky bitches.

And you guys are big bossypants!!! (I can resort to juvenile insults too)

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I know.

Good.

Again I mostly agree.
Almost good.

Is that a fact?
Yes.

To me you do.
That's because you've lost track of what was said.

And the Crown's authority can be mocked at our pleasure.
So can Quebec, not that I was speaking of the Crown's authority.

Authority can always disputed.
True, but not in respect to why or how I brought the Crown into the discussion.

All that says is you accept the authority of the Crown.
No it doesn't.

And you guys are big bossypants!!!
Maybe.

(I can resort to juvenile insults too)
"Squeaky bitches" isn't an insult, it's a factual description of most separatists.