Puerto Rico votes to become the 51st US state

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Are Puerto Ricans well educated and highly skilled? How will the admission of a bunch of Puerto Ricans to the Union help the US? Puerto Rico should be an independent country.

Did you even read the links?

Peurto Rico is already United States territory, and Peurto Ricans have been US citizens since 1917. Say what you will, none of this is new, their financial and legal ties to the US have existed longer than you've been alive, and they've voted to simply make it official.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Screw Puerto Rico. American doesn't need more people looking for a handout.

That would mean ending corporations who take bigger handouts than anyone else.

The only difference would be their right to vote. They receive money from the federal gov. already as they are already a part of the US, just not a 'state'

[/FONT][/FONT]

they do get $$$ from the USA which had many companies there who made big profits and did not pay taxes

but the jobs have been sent to China and India as with other states/cities

Puerto Rico isn't going to be admitted to the United States. It would upset the existing balance of power. Puerto Ricans would seek independence if they had any self-respect for their identity.

Hawaii was admitted in 1959 - nobody said anything about identity back then. Same with PR.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Puerto Ricans are Democrats. Admission of Puerto Rico into the American Union would give Democrats permanent power in Congress. Why would Republicans agree to such an arrangement when the arrangement has the effect of diesmpowering conservatives?

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
That would mean ending corporations who take bigger handouts than anyone else.

they do get $$$ from the USA which had many companies there who made big profits and did not pay taxes

but the jobs have been sent to China and India as with other states/cities

Hawaii was admitted in 1959 - nobody said anything about identity back then. Same with PR.
Hawaii and Puerto Rico should both be independent nations because they ard democrats for the most part. Get them out. Get rid of leftists.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Puerto Ricans are Democrats. Admission of Puerto Rico into the American Union would give Democrats permanent power in Congress. Why would Republicans agree to such an arrangement when the arrangement has the effect of diesmpowering conservatives?

Nothing in politics is permanent. Power has alternated between the two major powers for decades. Some states change their minds, same would be true with PR. The two major parties wont exist forever nor will their platforms exist forever. They traded places with each other ideologically once so far.

Republicans and Democrats are not the entire US population. A huge chunk of it does not identify with either party.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hawaii and Puerto Rico should both be independent nations because they ard democrats for the most part. Get them out. Get rid of leftists.

That's not how democracy works.

Nothing in politics is permanent. Power has alternated between the two major powers for decades. Some states change their minds, same would be true with PR. The two major parties wont exist forever nor will their platforms exist forever. They traded places with each other ideologically once so far.

Republicans and Democrats are not the entire US population. A huge chunk of it does not identify with either party.

ANd the R and D parties now aren't the same as the R and D parties of the past. Just look at this election fallout, it is largely because the Republican party has changed, and now they have to look at changing back, being more like the Dems.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
The dream act was passed less than a year before this election.. it's sorta a carrot in front of the donkey for the 11 million Latin voters. Porto Rico is Democrat and Latin.. the demographics of the USA is changing before our eyes..

Minor point but I don't think it was ever passed. Obama implemented similar provisions by executive order before the election. Cause he's a constitutional lawyer, doncha know, and he don't need no stinking congress!! :)

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
That's not how democracy works.

ANd the R and D parties now aren't the same as the R and D parties of the past. Just look at this election fallout, it is largely because the Republican party has changed, and now they have to look at changing back, being more like the Dems.
Karrie, one's political philosophy isn't something one changes. Change takes decades in order to be internalized. If I wanted to be a leftist I would do so. I don't want to be a leftist. Surely you must understand that.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie, one's political philosophy isn't something one changes. Change takes decades in order to be internalized. If I wanted to be a leftist I would do so. I don't want to be a leftist. Surely you must understand that.

I understand that you don't want to be a leftist. Notice I've never criticized you for not being. I've never said you shouldn't have a voice. Never said you're wrong. Never said you should be punted from your country because you don't fit in. Democracy doesn't work if everyone has to clone up. Every last person has different priorities, and are entitled to advocate those priorities. And yeah, the nation might hit ona point where there are more people with different priorities than you, that doesn't make them enemies you need to kick out.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I understand that you don't want to be a leftist. Notice I've never criticized you for not being. I've never said you shouldn't have a voice. Never said you're wrong. Never said you should be punted from your country because you don't fit in. Democracy doesn't work if everyone has to clone up. Every last person has different priorities, and are entitled to advocate those priorities. And yeah, the nation might hit ona point where there are more people with different priorities than you, that doesn't make them enemies you need to kick out.

I know you're nice. But nice has no place in American political culture. America is not Canada. Here we want each other dead in a figurative ideological sense.

I feel the same way I suspect the First Peoples felt when their world was brought to an end by white europeans. Do I resist or acquiesce? I resist in lawful ways...the examples of Crazy Horse and Tecumseh come to mind.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Until 1972, Texas was a Democrat stronghold. Maybe we should get rid of them too to avoid return to such.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What makes you value your politics over your country? Especially when your politics haven't 'lost'? The Republicans are still in government.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Multiculturalism and the destruction of the common American identity. Screw Uncle Sam, it's dead to me.

The existence of a common American identity was a media myth. The United States of America was always made up of a wide variety of cultures and viewpoints. What you're seeing is the result of the education, communication, and participation, of those other viewpoints that were always there.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Until 1972, Texas was a Democrat stronghold. Maybe we should get rid of them too to avoid return to such.

Indeed. They might have lost it sooner if not for Lyndon Johnson. I believe that was one of the main reasons JFK picked Johnson as a running mate.

Multiculturalism and the destruction of the common American identity. Screw Uncle Sam, it's dead to me.

If thats the way you feel then you've already lost. The racial demographics of the US, particularly in the southwest is changing fast. I believe this is the first time a President was able to win an election without the majority of white votes. Interesting.

As has been said Puerto Ricans are already American citizens. Quite a few of them are already living in the continental US. You're stuck with them and their descendants either way.

Ah, so you do want the whole Red states and Blue states rather than United States. That didnt work out the last time that was tried.

Next thing you know you'll be getting nostalgic about McCarthyism.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Amid all the hoopla, you might have missed it: in a referendum on Tuesday, Puerto Rico voted in favor of US statehood, in a move that might entail some dramatic changes in elementary school geography books.

Can they afford to adopt another kid?

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

Some things are permanent. Take the situation of the Copts of Egypt as an example. Time for Uncle Sam to go to a hospice.

Indeed. They might have lost it sooner if not for Lyndon Johnson. I believe that was one of the main reasons JFK picked Johnson as a running mate.

If thats the way you feel then you've already lost. The racial demographics of the US, particularly in the southwest is changing fast. I believe this is the first time a President was able to win an election without the majority of white votes. Interesting.

As has been said Puerto Ricans are already American citizens. Quite a few of them are already living in the continental US. You're stuck with them and their descendants either way.

Ah, so you do want the whole Red states and Blue states rather than United States. That didnt work out the last time that was tried.

Next thing you know you'll be getting nostalgic about McCarthyism.

I'm not talking about secession. I'm talking about poltical collapse of the entire regime.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
The existence of a common American identity was a media myth. The United States of America was always made up of a wide variety of cultures and viewpoints. What you're seeing is the result of the education, communication, and participation, of those other viewpoints that were always there.
That's not true. Before the immigration act of 1965 the country was 90% pan-european white. There was a common identity and shared consciousness.

You live in California.. really. You're the minority in that state already..

What is the American identity, rich, white, English?? What is it??
Assimilation would have provided a unifying principle. Multiculturalism is centrifugal in nature.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now if only Canada would take the vote.. just exclude Quebec.. they aren't Canadian anyhow..
we could be the 52nd state. lol

Can't think of a single reason why we would want to. SHakey economy, over valued dollar. wacky politics.

That's not true. Before the immigration act of 1965 the country was 90% pan-european white. There was a common identity and shared consciousness.

Assimilation would have provided a unifying principle. Multiculturalism is centrifugal in nature.

That would have been after they murdered the original inhabitants. Which is about all the european invaders had in common.