Private Sector vs. Public Sector

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Hey look over here: It's Talisman Terry The Green Dinosaur to take the heat off of BP...

Terry is going to take us on an adventure.

Hooray for Talisman Terry!!

I like adventures.

Don't you boys and girls?

Well boys and girls, we're going to take a trip far , far away to the Sahara Desert and a nation called Libya......

...and I'm taking your older brother or sister with me so mom and dad can still collect CPP one day.

Libya's new Flag...courtesy Suncor.

Some white King type dude on a desert stained red with blood drecreeing victory and Sharia law for all and Santa Claus' sled's transponder works with NATO F.O.F systems.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It seems to me that with a conservative government and a growing Canadian economy, there will be a new rise in private business and an attempt to quash the public sector. We have already seen the beginning of this trend in the last few months with a couple of examples..

1.) The back to work legislation imposed on Canada post workers
2.) Statscan released some reports of a sharp incline in private workers and decline in public sector workers last month

My question is..

Is it really good for our country to privatize all business?

Obviously, there are economic benefits to doing so. However, we all know that private corporations can ruin a society because they care more about profit than the well being of others. This is a basic fact, isn't it?

My stance is that the public sector should remain for substantially vital services, like healthcare, education and some media news (like CBC, etc.) The private sector should be handling things that go beyond these vital services - our "pleasure enhancers" so to speak. This is where having a good job with good pay can reward you with some neat toys.

But, I'm worried that private corporations are becoming much too involved in the former and people keep forgetting a cardinal rule:

A corporation only cares about profit.

Yep, there's a need for both. I think the private sector on average is more efficient while perhaps the public sector (in some regards) is more honest. Sometimes there is necessary work to be done that doesn't generate money. Safety and well being of children is one that comes to mind.