Princess Charlotte to be christened at Sandringham today

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The evidence shows that Prince George is not wearing the actual outfit worn by Prince William for Prince Harry's christening, but the choice of clothes can't exactly be a coincidence:

The Duchess of Cornwall had a Marilyn Monroe moment as she arrived for the service:

Princess Charlotte is rather newer than her pram:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The evidence shows that Prince George is not wearing the actual outfit worn by Prince William for Prince Harry's christening, but the choice of clothes can't exactly be a coincidence:

It's to remind us of their Krau... er Teutonic origins.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
W.T.F. do they dress the kid up in faggy red pants? What some people won't do to their children!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Archbishop of Canterbury has released the text of the homily he gave at the service.

It seems that different forms of ambition are hard wired into almost all of us. At a baptism our ambitions are rightly turned into hopes and prayers for the child, today for Princess Charlotte. Everyone wants something for their children. At our best we seek beauty, not necessarily of form, but of life.

In the reading from Matthew 18, Jesus is trying to turn one kind of ambition, an ambition for place and prestige, into an ambition for a beautiful life. To be great in the Kingdom of Heaven, he tells his very pushy disciples, is not about position but about beauty of life, a life that looks like his, and his example is someone unimportant in those days, a child.

Amongst Princess Charlotte’s own ancestors, now buried in the Holy Land, is a saint, the Grand Duchess Elizabeth, whose life was one of transparent beauty and death one of beautiful courage and service. In her life she forgave the man who killed her husband. At her cruel murder she continued to care for those suffering with her. It is of such beauty that Jesus speaks when he talks of being great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Such beauty of character begins with baptism, and is established in the habits of following and loving Jesus Christ, habits to be learned from parents and God parents, and the whole community of the church.

Beauty is the implied prayer of the baptism service, beauty of life which brings true and eternal greatness. In such times as ours, those who suffer, such as the wounded or bereaved in Tunisia and other places, need lives of beauty around them, lives that share healing and hope, offering to all around them, both in times of light and darkness, a vision of a Christ filled future.

Princess Charlotte has five godparents, none of whom are royals.

Clockwise from top left: Prince William's cousin and Princess Charlotte's cousin, once removed, Lady Laura Fellowes, 34, the daughter of Princess Diana's sister; Princess Charlotte herself; Sophie Carter, a long-term friend of the Duchess of Cambridge; Thomas van Straubenzee, 33, who has known the Duke of Cambridge since they attended Ludgrove prep school together and is also a close friend of Prince Harry; the Duchess of Cambridge's cousin and Princess Charlotte's cousin, once removed, Adam Middleton, 33, works for the Mayfair-based firm Manchester Square Partners, which advises business leaders on how to "navigate ambiguity and make good decisions"; James Meade, 32, who was at Eton with the Duke and has been one of his closest friends ever since. He and Thomas van Straubenzee were the only two friends invited to make speeches at the Duke and Duchess's wedding reception in 2011. He and his wife Lady Laura Marsham, whom he married in 2013, are also part of the Duke and Duchess's Norfolk set, as Lady Laura's family seat is at Gayton Hall in Norfolk.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Kensington Palace has tweeted a painting of the first time the Lily Font was used, for the christening of Victoria, Princess Royal, the daughter of Queen Victoria, in 1841.

View image on Twitter

Follow

Kensington Palace ✔ @KensingtonRoyal

Kensington Palace has released details of the order of service.

The Duke and Duchess of have chosen two hymns, Praise to the Lord, The Almighty and Come Down, O Love Divine.

The lesson is from Matthew 18, verses 1-5, read by James Meade.

The anthems are I Will Sing With The Spirit and God Be In My Head, both by John Rutter.

Members of The Sandringham Church Choir are singing at the service.

The processional organ music is R. Vaughan Williams' Prelude on "Rhosymedre".

The recessional organ music is G. F. Handel's Overture and Allegro from Concerto VIII in A.

Rutter ... the anthem mill.

Rutter is to sacred music as Andrew Lloyd Webber is to oratorio.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"The Duchess of Cornwall had a Marilyn Monroe moment as she arrived for the service:"

And that was the limit of any comparison to Marilyn! :) :)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Princess Charlotte's christening: Official portraits

Official christening photographs by Mario Testino: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with their children, Prince George, and Princess Charlotte, who was christened at Sandringham. They are pictured in the Drawing Room of Sandringham House with Queen Elizabeth II (seated right) and (standing, from left), Michael Middleton, Pippa Middleton, James Middleton, Carole Middleton, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke of Edinburgh.

Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, Prince George, Princess Charlotte Picture: Mario Testino / Art Partner

Prince William and Prince George Picture: Mario Testino / Art Partner

Duchess of Cambridge and Princess Charlotte Picture: Mario Testino / Art Partner

The Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, in pictures - Telegraph

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Princess Charlotte: Norfolk church creates knitted christening

11 July 2015
BBC News

The christening scene has been recreated in wool at the church in Griston

Knitters have recreated Princess Charlotte's christening in wool as part of a church fundraising festival.

But organisers have admitted the scene is "not an exact recreation of the real baptism" - partly because they started planning it more than 18 months ago.

The replica royal event is at St Peter and St Paul's church in Griston in Norfolk - one of six churches taking part in a Blossom and Yarn Festival.

Over 11,000 squares were used to create themed scenes for the six churches.

Prince George has a knitted teddy bear, while his mother wears green

The themes include Easter, Christmas, wedding, baptism, remembrance and harvest.

Artistic director Lois Gill said: "We were always going to portray baptism in one of the churches, but then the Duchess of Cambridge became pregnant and it all fitted into the timing that we could replicate Princess Charlotte's christening."

The colours chosen for the figures were dictated by the wool available, which was either donated or from charity shops.

"We chose green for the Duchess of Cambridge, the Queen is wearing peach and the Duke of Cambridge is in a dark jacket and grey trousers," she said.

The Bishop of Norwich said he was full of admiration because he "couldn't knit a bishop"

Prince Harry - who was unable to attend the event at Church of St Mary Magdalene at the Queen's Sandringham estate last Sunday - is in attendance at the knitted replica in "a very jaunty lilac colour".

Most of the figures and many other items, including roses, small animals and cakes, were made from 10cm knitted squares.

A likeness of the Bishop of Norwich, the Right Reverend Graham Jones, was one of the 31 human figures created by more than 100 knitters.

The real bishop said: "My admiration is enormous - if my life depended on it, I couldn't knit a bishop."

St Peter and St Paul's church in Griston, Norfolk

Princess Charlotte: Norfolk church creates knitted christening - BBC News

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now that it is all over I hope someone has the sagacity to burn those hideous red pants that poor little George was forced to wear for the ceremony. :)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
"Georgie Georgie Red Pants
toddles in those clothes.
Will the toff be King someday?
The future only knows"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince William hints at third child as he speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot

By Gordon Rayner, Chief Reporter, video source ITN
13 Jul 2015
The Telegraph

The Duke of Cambridge has hinted that he and the Duchess of Cambridge may have a third baby as he described Princess Charlotte as "a little joy of heaven".

In an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot, the Duke spoke of his pride at the Duchess's "amazing" mothering skills, and said Prince George was "a little monkey".

(Photo:Stefan Rousseau/PA)

He also opened up about his plans for the future, saying he has no idea when he might take up full-time royal duties.

The Duke began his first shift as a pilot with East Anglian Air Ambulance today, attending his first incident at 9.20am, just over two hours into the job. He had admitted to first-day nerves but said the role would help him to be "a good guy...a decent individual".

The future king began his first shift as a pilot with East Anglian Air Ambulance today

Talking about the arrival of Princess Charlotte he said: “It has been fantastic and she has been a little joy of heaven. But at the same time it is more responsibility, looking after two little ones, especially when George is around. He’s a little monkey.

"But it is fantastic having a lovely little family and I am so thrilled. And Catherine has been doing an amazing job as a mother and I’m very proud of her.”

Asked whether the couple might have more children, he said: “We’ve only just had the second one. You never know what is going to happen in the future.”

Speaking about his new job the Duke said: "For me it is also really important to be grounded. I feel doing a job like this really helps with grounding the core of what I am trying to become… just trying to be a good guy, trying to do what you can, trying be a decent individual, thoughtful. Qualities in people that you would want to be associated with.

"There’s nothing to say I couldn’t do it for the rest of my life. I might be able to, and still balance the two. But obviously at some point there is probably going to be a lot more pressure and responsibility from the other side of my life.

"At the moment I’m juggling the two of them, and a young family. I’m enjoying it, and I like the challenge, but yes, inevitably down the line, things will probably become a little bit more difficult for me to do that. But while I’m still relatively young, I can manage the two jobs as best I can.

“The term, ‘full-time royal role’ is bandied around quite a lot, and no-one actually really knows what that means, but I think I can still manage to do my commitments and my responsibilities as well as I can.

"The Queen is still very active and is still showing incredible leadership. My father is doing many, many engagements, as are the rest of the family, and so there’s a lot being done by the Royal family around the country. I hope to still be a part of that, and do as much as I can, but equally do something which I think is incredibly important and [will] prove me in good stead for the future.”

His new job will involve some traumatic sights, and he said: “Nothing ever prepares you that well for what you are going to see.”

He had seen similar sights in the 150 incidents he attended during his time as an RAF Search and Rescue pilot, and added: “When you are working with a team you help each other out and you talk about it and you get through it that way.”

See video: Video: Prince William hints at third child as he speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte - Telegraph