Prince Philip tells garden party guest: 'You didn't design your beard very well.'

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It would be very strange indeed if a year went by without a Prince Philipism being uttered.

The Queen's husband, refreshingly, isn't known for his political correctness - and that's one of the reasons why the British people love him so much.

On a state visit to China in 1986, Prince Philip, who is also the Duke of Edinburgh, remarked to a group of non-Chinese people: "If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed."

He once said to an Australian Aborigine: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

To a driving instructor in Scotland he once said: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"

He said "The bastards murdered half my family" when asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.

And, when the Government decided to ban all handguns after the Dunblane massacre in 1996 when a madman burst into a school and shot dead 16 children and a teacher, Prince Philip said: "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?"

Now he's done it again.

At a recent garden party at Buckingham Palace, the Prince, 88, decided to chat to one of the 8000 invited guests, and asked him what he does for a living.

When the man, who has a beard, said that he is a designer, the Prince said: "Well, you didn’t design your beard too well, did you?"

Prince Philip had a beard when serving in the Royal Navy during World War II, in which he took part in the Battle of Cape Matapan, the Battle of Crete and the invasion of Sicily (and many ignorant republicans say that the Queen, who also served in WWII, and Prince Philip have doing nothing for Britain).

Another glorious gaffe as the Duke of Edinburgh remarks 'You didn't design your beard very well, did you...'

By Christopher Leake and Helen Dowd, Mail on Sunday Reporter
23rd August 2009
Daily Mail

Prince Philip has never been shy about expressing his opinions on a huge range of subjects – often with cringe-making results.

But now he appears to have put his foot in it again, over his views on goatee beards.

At a recent Buckingham Palace garden party, the gaffe-prone Royal was chatting to a guest and struck up conversation by asking what he did for a living.

Royal opinion: The Duke of Edinburgh joked that a designer sporting a goatee had not done such a good job on his own face

The man, one of 8,000 guests hoping to meet the Queen and other members of the Royal Family, replied: ‘I’m a designer, sir.’

The 88-year-old Prince is said to have replied: ‘Well, you didn’t design your beard too well, did you?’

The remark, made at a garden party on July 21, left the guest speechless but his embarrassment didn’t end there.

The Duke of Edinburgh – who wore a beard as a young man – was then overheard saying: ‘You really must try better with your beard.’

A source said last night: ‘When Prince Philip made the comments, nobody could quite believe it.

‘It was almost certainly meant as a joke, but for some reason he must have a thing about goatee beards.

‘The man with the beard was a bit taken aback. I don’t think he was famous, but he’ll certainly remember his day at the Palace.’

Designer stubble: The Duke of Edinburgh sported a beard during his active service in the Royal Navy in World War II

A selection of the best Prince Philipisms

"Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?"
To a blind woman with a dog

"Where did you get the hat?"
To his wife, the Queen, after her coronation in 1953

"Oh, it's you that owns that ghastly car - we often see it when driving to Windsor Castle."
To Elton John after hearing Elton had sold his Gold Aston Martin

"The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism, we could stop the congestion."
On the London Traffic Debate

"You look like you're ready for bed!"
To the President of Nigeria, dressed in traditional robes

"Brazilians live there."
On key problems facing Brazil

"You have mosquitos. I have the Press."
To the matron of a hospital in the Caribbean

"Are you Indian or Pakistani? I can never tell the difference between you chaps."
At Washington Embassy reception for Commonwealth members.

"British women can't cook. They are very good at decorating food and making it attractive. But they have an inability to cook."
Addressing mainly female audience at Scottish Rural Women's Institute Display in 1966.

"Do you still throw spears at each other?"
To Australian Aborigines, during a visit to Queensland, 2002.

"You can’t have been here that long – you haven’t got a pot belly."
To a Briton in Budapest

PRINCE PHILIP'S GUIDE TO THE CORRECT STYLE

Ghastly: Leonardo Di Caprio (left) and Hopeless: Johnny Depp (right)

Good grief: Colin Firth (left) and No Good: Sean Connery (right)

Is that me? The Duke of Edinburgh in Gambia in 1957

David Dade, spokesman for The British Beard Club, said: ‘Even if you are the Queen’s consort, there’s no excuse for being rude – although I suppose he has a rather grumpy reputation and perhaps he wants to keep it up.

‘You would not comment on a woman’s hairdo in this way – you’d never get away with it.

‘I suppose the goatee is mocked a little because it’s considered a 'fashionable' beard.

‘Men who opt for this style probably do so because they imagine it’s the most facial hair they can get away with, and because they think they can keep it neat with trimming, rather than a full beard that can look unkempt if not cared for.’

According to Allan Peterkin, author of One Thousand Beards: A Cultural History Of Facial Hair, the clipped goatee first became fashionable in the Sixties but the style dates back to the ancient Egyptians.

In the Sixties it was, Peterkin says, ‘a beatnik look sprouted in jazz clubs’, popularised by musicians Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker.

The writer predicts, however, that the style is set to become ‘the equivalent of the middle-aged ponytail’, despite Hollywood actors such as Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp having sported the style of late.

Long-term wearers of the goatee are, however, somewhat less fashionable, and include comedians Bill Bailey and Billy Connolly, who regularly dyes his in bright colours.

Welsh singer Tom Jones has made the goatee part of his trademark look for many years.

And Ricky Gervais opted for the style when playing hapless and embarrassing boss David Brent in The Office.

Ironically, the Queen’s physician Dr Timothy Evans sports a goatee. The doctor – who offers a range of alternative herbal, aromatherapy, acupuncture and reflexology treatments to his wealthy private clients – is medical director of the Harbour Club gym at Chelsea, West London, once frequented by Princess Diana.

He also works as an on-set medic on Hollywood movies.

Prince Philip is notorious for his public gaffes and over the years has offered his own unique advice to people all over the world.

On a State visit to China in 1986, he told British students: ‘If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.’

As dole queues grew in 1981, he said: ‘Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed.’

Once, he asked a Kenyan dancer during a State visit: ‘You are a woman, aren’t you?’

On another occasion he asked a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea: ‘You managed not to get eaten, then?’

Speaking to a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland, he asked: ‘How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?’

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said last night: ‘We never comment on private conversations.

READERS' COMMENTS

He's a fantastic Old Bloke, with a great sence of humour who I have had the pleasure of meeting, chatting with for over an hour and a true man's - man. Now leave him alone and focus on those who, having been elected by the people, would choose to lie at the expense of others, regularly, vindictively and generally for personal gain.
- Ivor Wood, Bath UK

The Duke of Edinburgh used to be a very handsome man...! But now he is old, and seemingly terribly out of tune. He just means to make us laugh though, can we hold it agains him..?
- Marianne, Amsterdam, Holland

Thank goodness for the Duke, no PC with him,always good for a laugh.
Keep it up, we need some wit among the sanitised celebrities of today!
- Ellen, Lincoln

I am afraid I love Prince Philips "gaffs" Keep them coming Philip
- patricia, Torrox

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I like the guy. He's the only one, other than one of the young sons of Chuckie, that has a sense of humor in the family, I think.