Pot 'cured' brain cancer: Toddler Cash Hyde's father gave him cannabis oil

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Did you even look for any studies into CBNs and CBDs before posting or are you assuming?

How is he assuming by saying that some people attribute cause without solid proof. The body does have systems to heal itself, and medical science is continually confounded by results that they can't explain. Outliers in the population? Of course there are...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"May" may have something to do with the fact that not everybody reacts the same to any given substance. No one substance will cure everybody of any given disease. Thousands die from misdiagnosis and misuse of pharmaceutical drugs every year. Why are they not banned? All any substance can claim is the it May cure a disease. Cannabis oil has shown to be effective in most cases it is used in and therefore deserves to be studied, but nobody will profit from it so those studies will never be done. People are left to their own devices, so of course their will be failures and mishaps.

People should be allowed to take responsibility for their own health. They should be allowed to grow their own pot. The government has no business telling us which medicines we can and cannot take. The only reason pot is still illegal is because Big Pharma has too much invested in the R&D of chemical poisons.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Thousands die from misdiagnosis and misuse of pharmaceutical drugs every year. Why are they not banned?

Because someone misdiagnosed is due to faulty hypotheses of the medical professional, and using the medication in a fashion than otherwise directed is largely the fault of either the patient and/or the pharmacist/doctor.

Cannabis oil has shown to be effective in most cases it is used in and therefore deserves to be studied, but nobody will profit from it so those studies will never be done.
That's rubbish, there is an open grant right now in the US looking at cannabinoids for treatment of alcohol abuse, and to investigate the signalling system. Results from that type of work aren't only applicable to alcohol treatment. If you know the signal pathways, then other researchers looking at other medical conditions can potentially identify new treatments for a whole range of other illnesses.

Here's a link to the grant page:
PA-10-250: Endocannabinoid Signaling in Alcohol Consumption, Intoxication and Alcohol Use Disorders (R21)

And here's a researcher with an active grant, titled "Brain Cannabinoid Receptor Signaling and Pharmacology"
Georgia Health Sciences University :: Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology :: Core Faculty
or here:
Project Information - NIH RePORTER ? NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures and Results

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
There are thousands of patients who absolutely swear it alleviated their pain and prolonged their lives.

So far as I know, there is no evidence showing that marijuana cures cancer. It might make cancer patients feel better and improve their appetites, but is far from being a cure.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So far as I know, there is no evidence showing that marijuana cures cancer. It might make cancer patients feel better and improve their appetites, but is far from being a cure.
No eveidence could be because there is almost no research because the stuff is illegal for purely political reasons. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that should be an indication that it should have been studied for the last 50 years. So can you explain why it hasn't been?

Because someone misdiagnosed is due to faulty hypotheses of the medical professional, and using the medication in a fashion than otherwise directed is largely the fault of either the patient and/or the pharmacist/doctor.
How about pharmaceutical companies inventing diseases to push unnecessary drugs for massive profits? If this is happening in the mental health field, it is happening in all fields.

YouTube - Making a Killing: The Pharmaceutical Industry 2/3

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Marijuana doesn't cure anything. I've been around the marijuana culture a long time and I can tell you that all it does is a) make you stupid if consistently used, b) detract your motivation, c) attempts to fill a void in your life or medicate depression, which is in fact just ignoring your problems instead of getting to the root of them so you can find a true cure.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I'm really glad this child is ok, I truly am. There really is nothing more frightening than the prospect of losing your child especially when that child is so young.

I've also no doubt about the benefits of canabis, I think the pain management capabilities are fairly well established, at least as I understand it, in the medical community.

Having said that, this is what I see when I read the article.

The story I read is actually quite different than the title of the article suggests. The titles states that the "pot" cured the cancer and that the father gave the treatment to his son to treat the cancer. What I read in the article is that the father gave this to his son to ease the symptons of the chemo (lack of appetite) and that it contributed to his recovery. In other words the contribution can be interpreted as helping to diminish the nasty side effects of the chemo.

So, the actual contents of the story are not quite as sensational as the title implies. That bothers me because it continues this trend I keep seeing in the media of taking relevant, newsworthy stories and issues and blowing them out of proportion. There is no doubt in mind that there are some people in this world that would take that headline verbatim. In fact, I'd bet real money on it. Really, as the contents of the article point out, the evidence is anecdotal at best that it played any real part in treating the actual cancer. And this in a way diminishes the very real usefulness of the substance in medical treatment.

Indeed... the Australian news sources here have a slight twist to them like US news sources, in that I noticed there's a bit more bias in headers and sometimes how a news report is actually reported.

Indeed, the title does imply that weed cured the cancer..... which would be a bit of an exaggeration..... but I think it's safe to say that marijuana in this particular case did save this child's life.

Yes the continued medical procedures cured the cancer and in the long term, saved the kids life, but as reported in the article, due to the other medications that this child was on, he wasn't eating, had seizures, a blood infection and was so weak that he couldn't life his head off a pillow..... I'd say that without the father changing the medication his son was on and moved him onto a pill based on Marijuana's elements, I think it's pretty safe to say that his son wouldn't have survived long enough to make it through the rest of the treatments, as he simply wouldn't have enough energy to do so, due to last of eating & all the other side effects he had to battle.

With the use of the marijuana, he began to increase his appetite, which is very important to maintaining energy to get through the rest of the cancer treatments and it removed the other factors like the side effects from the other medication.

I agree that there is no basis to claim Cancer was cured by just marijuana in this case..... but I strongly believe that it did help save his life, and that is what should be looked into.

Not a cure for cancer, but a substitute for some of the medications currently being used in cancer treatments. If it is found that there are benefits to using marijuana based products in these type of cases and it is shown that the side effects are minimal or non-existent, then I think it should be used.

But again, clear, unbiased studies are required to prove one way or another.

I wouldn't suggest using this one case or any other few cases like it as proof & evidence to use it without question and to legalize it just because of those one or two cases..... but it does justify further study & investigation.

Both your articles use the words "may".

A compound found in cannabis may stop breast cancer spreading throughout the body, US scientists believe.

Cannabis chemicals may help fight prostate cancer

You are drawing conclusions prematurely. Even the BBC article admits that if this cannabis compound proves an effective cancer therapy, its presence is insufficiently concentrated in marijuana to have a significant effect.

Yes, and Advil MAY cure your headache.

Marijuana doesn't cure anything. I've been around the marijuana culture a long time and I can tell you that all it does is a) make you stupid if consistently used, b) detract your motivation, c) attempts to fill a void in your life or medicate depression, which is in fact just ignoring your problems instead of getting to the root of them so you can find a true cure.

Being around the "Culture" isn't the same as 1st hand experience, is it?

I've been around the "Culture" of drinkers and I could say the same as the above towards that "Culture" and then some.

The difference is that I also have 1st hand experience in drinking to know wtf I'm talking about.

Making typical assumptions like the above makes about as much sense as me telling women what they go through during child birth.

I was diagnosed with Depression, as it runs in my family. I was on anti-depressants for over a year..... I haven't been on any anti-depressants, nor have I had to suffer through their side effects for about 5 years now and going..... I no longer suffer depression either.

Why?

Because I decided I had enough with the side effects from pills that didn't solve anything. The Anti-depressants I was on are what truly masked what was going on in my life, they made me lose any motivation I had left, and my mood and emotions were worse then when I wasn't on them. I switched to marijuana, because I didn't have to worry about the side effects from the pills, the physical pains in my back from how tense I was went away, I could sleep decently through the night and wake up rested and with energy, my mood instantly changed to a more positive one, conflicts in my life were no longer daunting and I could handle them through clear decision making..... and most importantly of all, I was able to take a step back, look at my life, look at the things that were causing the problems in my life that the pills were masking, and I could formulate a logical and practical plan of action to remove or correct those things in my life.

I no longer even smoke pot on a regular basis, I've gone for months without any and still feel perfectly fine.... I know how to handle my life & the situations around me that would have typically sent me back into depression, I no longer take any medication what-so-ever for depression and I feel a hell of a lot better now about my life then I ever did growing up or in the last few years when I was suffering through depression.

If I didn't take the actions I did, I'd be like my dad and others in my family.... I would still be taking those pills for the rest of my life, I'd still be masking the problems in my life & ignoring them, I'd probably still be in the rut I was, I'd still be suffering through the side effects like headaches, migraines, pains in my back and unpredictable mood swings, and I'd still be dishing out piles of money for medication a month, that did nothing but make the situation worse.

Because I wasn't just suffering through the problems of depression, I also had added on top all of the side effects of the pills, the cost of those each month and how I was to afford them, and the fact that they weren't making anything better..... sometimes worse.

This thing is now, I don't have to buy anything for months on end..... as far as I'm concerned, my depression no longer exists, I'm living a happy life & I'm doing the things I want to do. The only time I do smoke pot these days, is mainly on weekends when I want to relax with my friends who drink..... or when I have a hard time sleeping at night.

My experience is just one among millions around the world. I again, am not saying pot is a be-all cure for anybody suffering through depression, nor am I saying that pot can cure cancer..... but it is worth further study and review to see what it actually can do to benefit some people in certain situations with certain medical problems.

To just dismiss pot as you did is quite ignorant and doesn't help anybody in anything.

What's the worst that can happen from further studies?

Nothing.

This isn't crack we're talking about.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
How about pharmaceutical companies inventing diseases to push unnecessary drugs for massive profits? If this is happening in the mental health field, it is happening in all fields.

I can't watch videos, how about you tell me about the invented diseases/disorders.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

You've been around the marijuana culture a long time. What does that even mean?

Maybe it makes you stupid, but you have no position to say what it does to others. Maybe you just hang around with stupid people. Maybe you yourself have taken on an attitude of undeserved superiority.

I've said over the years and will repeat it now, that Cannabis like other drugs only focuses whats already there.
I can tell you some of those considered the smartest and talented people in the world have used drugs. There are also people who have never touched Cannabis in their lives who have the symptoms you describe and so what do you have to explain that problem with your hypothesis?

It doesn't work that way. There is treatment and there is a cure. Some Cancer can be treated, other forms cured. But it's crazy to set the criteria at cure for there to be a positive affect of the drug. I wonder if you feel that all drugs should pass this test before being considered?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I can't watch videos, how about you tell me about the invented diseases/disorders.
That is too bad because there are a number of good documentaries on the subject. From the film "Pharma is not in the business of health, healing or cure..":
…what I would like to do today is I would like to dispel the myth that the pharmaceutical industry is in the business of health and healing. Because in fact what the pharmaceutical industry is in the business of doing is disease maintenance and symptoms management. They are not in the business to cure cancer, to cure Alzheimer, to cure heart disease, because if they were they would be in the business of putting themselves out of business and that in fact doesn’t make sense. I don’t want people thinking I am a conspiracy theorist, because in fact there is no theory behind what I am telling you. It’s all provable. And what I am saying is provable is that the pharmaceutical industry doesn’t want to cure people.
You need to understand specifically when we’re talking about psychiatric drugs in particular that these are drugs that encourage people to remain customers of the pharmaceutical industry. In fact you will be told, if you are given a drug such as an anxiolytic or an antidepressant or an anti psychotic drug that you may be on the drug for the rest of your life. And very frequently people find that they are on the drugs for a very long period of time, if not permanently, because they’re almost impossible to get off of. Some of them can have very serious withdrawal symptoms, most of them can have extremely serious withdrawal symptoms if they are stopped cold turkey. But some people experience withdrawal systems when they try to titrate, or they try to eliminate the drug little by little, day after day.
So it’s really important to understand the motivation behind the current maintenance drugs that are on the market, even for example drugs such as cholesterol lowering drugs. And what we are in fact finding now is that chol drugs are lowering chol excessively and causing other disease states as a consequence. So you need to be careful about trying to take drugs in order to remain healthy.
You’re never going to get that kind of good information, fair balanced information as long as pharmas funding in major TV stations, the advertising that supports those television stations, the major journals and all of the advertising that supports the major journals. You just have to be commonsensical people, and understand that the pharmaceutical industry makes 5 to 6 times that amount of money as any of the other Fortune 500 companies in the United States of America. They are not going to easily or readily give up that income, and we are in fact considered a human commodity. Or loved ones, our children, our elderly are considered cash-cows that are preyed upon by pharmaceutical reps such as myself who are encouraged to go in a build market shares, without thinking about the consequences to patients.

And from the film "
Why I Left Mainstream Medicine – From A Nurse

…the ones profiting the most in my opinion have to be the pharmaceutical companies. Based on the amount of money they pay to those whom they seek to influence, it’s clear that it’s very important to them to keep the system the way it is. A few examples are the millions of dollars donated to medical schools annually, vacations and financial incentives enjoyed by doctors, and the excessive amount of drug advertising we see in medical journals and on US television.
The pharmaceutical industry also has the largest lobby in the US Congress, something that wouldn’t exist if they truly had something we needed.
Immunity is not provided through vaccines.
…vaccines contain some of the most poisonous substances known to mankind, such as aluminum, mercury and formaldehyde, and are frequently contaminated with viruses that cause serious diseases.
…a major cause of the increase in breast cancer is the practice of annual mammography, exposing women to high doses of radiation and actually giving them breast cancer.
…chemotherapy was derived from mustard gas. Chemo has been proven ineffective in 96-98% of cancer cases and, being an agent to kill enemies at war, kills patients sooner than the cancer would have.
Fluoride also induces early puberty, suppresses multiple hormones, and causes numerous symptoms and diseases such as diabetes, bone cancer and osteoporosis.
Surgery and pharmaceutical drugs are presented by the entire medical industry as a solution to health problems, but this isn’t reality. Drugs don’t cure disease, and they can’t make you healthier. Pharmaceutical drugs are far more likely to kill that illegal drugs. You won’t find a big study in some respected journal telling you that nutrition cures cancer… they are only interested in selling you a product by ‘managing’ your disease, not curing it…
Our bodies must have nutrition. No one ever became ill from a lack of pharmaceutical drugs, but look at what happens when you don’t eat.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Indeed... the Australian news sources here have a slight twist to them like US news sources, in that I noticed there's a bit more bias in headers and sometimes how a news report is actually reported.

Indeed, the title does imply that weed cured the cancer..... which would be a bit of an exaggeration..... but I think it's safe to say that marijuana in this particular case did save this child's life.

Yes the continued medical procedures cured the cancer and in the long term, saved the kids life, but as reported in the article, due to the other medications that this child was on, he wasn't eating, had seizures, a blood infection and was so weak that he couldn't life his head off a pillow..... I'd say that without the father changing the medication his son was on and moved him onto a pill based on Marijuana's elements, I think it's pretty safe to say that his son wouldn't have survived long enough to make it through the rest of the treatments, as he simply wouldn't have enough energy to do so, due to last of eating & all the other side effects he had to battle.

With the use of the marijuana, he began to increase his appetite, which is very important to maintaining energy to get through the rest of the cancer treatments and it removed the other factors like the side effects from the other medication.

I agree that there is no basis to claim Cancer was cured by just marijuana in this case..... but I strongly believe that it did help save his life, and that is what should be looked into.

Not a cure for cancer, but a substitute for some of the medications currently being used in cancer treatments. If it is found that there are benefits to using marijuana based products in these type of cases and it is shown that the side effects are minimal or non-existent, then I think it should be used.

But again, clear, unbiased studies are required to prove one way or another.

I wouldn't suggest using this one case or any other few cases like it as proof & evidence to use it without question and to legalize it just because of those one or two cases..... but it does justify further study & investigation.
Cancer is one of those diseases where the "cure" or treatment can be harder on the body than the disease itself. That in and of itself warrants that all options need to be to thoroughly investigated. I would never argue otherwise. And I personally feel that there is enough consensus currently in the medical community to support medicinal use of marijuana which lends itself to further warranted study anyway.

And I completely understand where this father was coming from. He made a choice, with the interests of his child as his motivation for that choice. I don't fault him for that, in fact I do empathize with that. And there certainly have been cases where motivated parents of an ill child have gone further than the medical or scientific community have been willing to go on their own.(Lorenzo's Oil for instance).

Here is my issue with the way this information was presented and the problems that could result.

My mother was diagnosed about 10 years ago with Multiple Sclerosis, in fact there are a number of people in my family who are afflicted. So when I first heard of this "liberation therapy" I was extremely interested and extremely hopeful. I read article after article about how promising this treatment was. And indeed, I do believe it is promising. And no, the articles were not as sensationalistic in title or content because you are right, the media in Canada is definitely more reserved (which is not necessarily a bad thing imho). Yet the medical establishment, the MS society were all saying things like "more research is needed", "we need to give it time".

All very reasonable and rational and fully in line with my understanding of accepted scientific study.

But when people are ill, when they are suffering they don't want reasonable and rational. They want a miracle and, in their desperation, will do anything to actually find one. And they did, in droves. People mortgaged their homes, cashed in their RRSP's and spent tens of thousands of dollars to fly to Poland, Mexico, and who knows where else to have this procedure done. And it did work, in many cases it worked very well. Then we started to hear about the side effects of the treatment, how the treatment (this stent) itself could be problematic and required stringent after care to monitor.

Perhaps these people were fully aware of the potential problems, they may well have been, I don't know for sure. I do know that the public was not well informed on the potential problems by the medical establishment through the media on this topic and I know this because I was paying specific attention.

So, when I read this particular article about the cannabis oil, I see the potential to, perhaps, give some desperate people some false hope. And personally I don't know enough about how the disease of cancer ravages the body, or the treatment and medications given to cancer patients affect our biology. Frankly I'm not a scientificly minded person, most of this stuff is beyond me.

You say you read the article and see that further study is required, that unbiased scientifc research is needed. I won't argue with that, that is a very reasonable and rational response. But someone who is desperate for that "miracle" could read something entirely different into that article because of the way it is presented.

By presenting the information in the way that she did I feel the author of the piece was irresponsible.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Psychedelic 'party drugs' like LSD could combat depression and treat cancer, say top scientists

LSD could be used to lift depression and treat cancer, doctors said today.
Magic mushrooms and ketamine, a horse tranquilliser turned 'party drug', could also feature in the 'psychedelic psychotherapy' cabinet.
Swiss experts said that advances in our understanding of the brain and of the drugs themselves make it time to look past the negative effects of the substances and investigate how they could benefit people with hard-to-treat conditions.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...etamine--combat-depression.html#ixzz0xEMRkdM6

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
what happens if marijuana is shown to cure cancer?

Big Pharma will force the governments to prevent its use or manipulate the patent laws so they get a cut of the action. One way or another they are not about to see a prime source of revenue dry up.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Pot, when eaten, has great medicating effects with little side effect, something the pharmaceutical companies can't copy for pain relief and management of nerve issues, nausea, and a host of other ailments. Some studies suggest ingesting it can slow or even reverse growth of cancer tumours.

Is it the be all end all? We'd need some serious studies to find out. Until then, I'm just gonna snack on these here brownies.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Privatization.

It's what's good for dinner!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Pot, when eaten, has great medicating effects with little side effect, something the pharmaceutical companies can't copy for pain relief and management of nerve issues, nausea, and a host of other ailments.

Why do they need to copy the plant itself? If they identify which compounds, out of the many compounds found in raw cannabis, they can synthesize the compound and when it's shown that the compound is safe, efficacious for the treatment prescribed, and pure, then they have a new drug.

Pain management is not a very well understood field of medicine. Veterinarians receive more training in it than medical doctors do.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pain management is not a very well understood field of medicine. Veterinarians receive more training in it than medical doctors do.
And they also get more, a lot more training in nutrition which is in actuality the ultimate disease fighter and longevity enhancer.